Mining overused as profession

Like the title says. I think that mining is overused as profession compared to other professions.

Check this:
    Leatherworking has skinning
    Alchemy has Herbalism
    Inscription has Herbalism
    Tailoring has none
    Enchanting has none
    Blacksmithing has mining
    Jewelcrafting has mining
    Engineering has mining

Look 3 profession that rely on Mining. That's too much. Not a strange thing that mining is kinda popular. It's easy and overused. And the worst thing a big gold magnet.

I think tailoring should be changed so it can provide stuff from skinning as well.
    I think Engineering should be changed so it no longer rely too much on mining and will be turned into mechanical version of enchanting.
    I think Lumber can be a new gathering profession for engineering and enchanting a well. While engineering uses only wood, enchanting uses the drained lifeseeds or anything related for enchanting.

Alchemy and Inscription cater to the entire playerbase (every WoW player will use glyphs, flasks, potions) whereas blacksmithing and engineering do not (with the exception of belt buckles, which after the first patch are usually cheap as hell and mass-made). Jewelcrafting does cater to every player. I think based on the needs of the professions, each one is setup properly.

I don't see any issues with mining versus herbalism.

if you forced people to use a gathering for tailoring the profession itself would break............same for enchanting of course.

You can't just add a huge restriction to the profession after 8 years, if they did it for TBC it would be acceptable.

What they need to do however is reduce the difficulty of Blacksmith and engineering because those 2 are the only professions my alts have that I have difficulty maxing out (especially engineering which needs allot of non mining mats)

Well most mining materials go to jewelcrafting to prospect gems and eventually are shuffled to enchanting mats. Some of it goes to blacksmithing to make belt buckles, and a small amount to engineering for scopes. Engineering also uses a lot of other materials which is why its so annoying to level since there isnt just one source for everything.

Also its probably better that more professions rely on mining because it is easier than the other gathering professions. With mining most nodes are located around a zone since they are almost all bordered by mountains, so all you have to do it go in a circle and do laps. Herbs are all over the place in no real discernible spots except for a few that only spawn near water or on rocks so you cant really get a good path. Its more all over the place. And skinning you have to kill certain mobs that are skinnable, loot them, then click each individually to skin. Skinning is also only suitable to classes with good AoE.

If they were to add a new gathering prof, it should come with a new crafting one that uses that material.

Deleted
    Moin moin,

you just see the mats what you need to lvl from 1-600

But what you farm is the same ore and herbs i really think that the most ore are use for enchanting...like JC->get rings->diss-and have fun with the gold....

your,
    Holy

If any profession needs fixing its lw the sheer number of skins you need and the low amount you get per mob is ridiculous.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think it make sense, we dont change enchants very often and we learn glyphs once.
    We do change gems very often.
    Gems demand mining, makes absolutely sense. Mining is popular due to gems, not BS or Engi.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeror View Post
    Alchemy has Herbalism
    Tailoring has RNG (killing things) and requires some materials from other professions.
    Enchanting has RNG (killing things) and requires some materials from other professions.
    Blacksmithing has mining
    Jewelcrafting has mining
    Engineering has mining
    You're neglecting that Tailoring and Enchanting practically co-exist with each other. Both require killing things to get materials. It's the only practical way. The impractical way is for other professions to get stuff for you or use the AH.

It would be much easier just to lump Herbalism, Mining, Skinning, and Salvaging (Engineering) into one skill, Gathering. All of these skills require you to interact with the environment, and not your bags.

and the rest of the suedo gathering skills (disenchanting, prospecting, etc) can be lumped into Salvaging. These skills require you to interact with items in your bags. This could pave way for a better disenchanting mechanic. Maybe you don't feel like going around searching for the stuff and you just like killing things (like me). You can just Salvage items to get (RNG provided) what you want.

Now lets say you went for Gathering instead of Salvaging, but you're an Enchanter. All they'd have to do is make it so you can "gather" from elementals and magical creatures to drain them of their essences and such. Or just simply add nodes like the "clouds" engineers get to make use of.

And as for the group disenchanting mechanic: Get rid of it. All it does is let other people profit from your profession when in a group.
    Last edited by ImpTaimer; 2012-09-23 at 09:42 PM.
    There are no bathrooms, only Zuul.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like being an Engineer, and I like what it currently offers. Changing it into some sort of bizarre pseudo-Enchanting profession would make zero Engineers happy unless you fixed fail rates.

Also, if you think people are shitty now with having to compete for nodes with CRZ just wait until you tell everyone they all have the same gathering profession. That'll go over really well (not directed at OP).

Leave tailoring alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Uko View Post
    If any profession needs fixing its lw the sheer number of skins you need and the low amount you get per mob is ridiculous.
    Agreed, and more than that, we should have many variations of skins from different types of mobs. The fact that all skins come and are made from the same base for an entire xpac, makes skins expensive. I'm dropping LW and getting something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Siight View Post
    <snip>we should have many variations of skins from different types of mobs.<snip>
    My bags hate your idea

Deleted
    Check this:
    Alchemy has Herbalism
    Tailoring has none
    Enchanting has none
    Blacksmithing has mining
    Jewelcrafting has mining
    Engineering has mining
    It has 1 more use then herbing and its considered overused? Well actually it's only 2 since engi is a mixture of a lot of professions, you need leather/gems/cloth and volatile's to level it efficiently.

Herbing is far more used then mining, in terms of actual use to players, due to flasks and pre-pots for raids.
    Last edited by mmoca8c3a8c487; 2012-09-24 at 02:59 PM.

Like the title says. I think that mining is overused as profession compared to other professions.

Check this:
    Alchemy has Herbalism
    Tailoring has none
    Enchanting has none
    Blacksmithing has mining
    Jewelcrafting has mining
    Engineering has mining

Look 3 profession that rely on Mining. That's too much. Not a strange thing that mining is kinda popular. It's easy and overused. And the worst thing a big gold magnet.

I think tailoring should be changed so it can provide stuff from skinning as well.
    I think Engineering should be changed so it no longer rely too much on mining and will be turned into mechanical version of enchanting.
    I think Lumber can be a new gathering profession for engineering and enchanting a well. While engineering uses only wood, enchanting uses the drained lifeseeds or anything related for enchanting.
    Enchanting depends on Tailoring, LWing, JC, or BSing, you'll never get anywhere if you only try to acquire mats from dungeons/quests, and you'll spend a small fortune for the mats on the AH. Outside of that, I think that a lot of changes need to be made to make professions fun again. However, I think that mining is fine.

Deleted
    Rubbish idea. Gathering has long been neglected and will remain a poor relative other than at the start of an expansion. I like the fact the crafters have to yse a bip item to craft now becayse it makes them go out in the world rather than being just sat in a city. Mining doesnt pay big at other times when the bott sets in. If its a good profession then do it if not, then dont. The market adjusts. Who else has to contend with bots? If not for bots it would be a lot more profitable.

The one thing that deters people from mining is that it is boring. Why make it less attractive that it already is?