View Poll Results: What is your opinion of the leveling/scaling changes on the PTR

Voters
347. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - I enjoy the extra challenge and leveling pace changes

182 52.45%
  • No - I don't like the extra challenge and leveling pace

97 27.95%
  • I don't care and will level characters regardless of difficulty or time played

68 19.60%
Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Poll - Increased leveling time/enemy difficulty increase [1-90, 7.3.5 ptr]

What's your opinion on the changes on the 7.3.5 ptr regarding leveling time/difficulty? For context, enemies have about 3x hp in the world and dungeons and leveling takes about 60% longer for 1-60.

To me it seemed like the exp requirement increase was more to balance the fact that scaling up the levels of quests/dungeons meant that you'd be getting exp a lot faster. For example, currently if you're doing Westfall's quests (which are level 10 to 15) they'd all becoming green before you even got halfway (especially if you're using heirlooms), and basically immediately all turn grey as soon as you finish the first dungeon quest, meaning you'd just have to ditch all of them (since they'd no longer give any exp). Now instead of reducing exp as you level, you'll actually be gaining increasing amounts of exp as you reach the end of a zone (and in particular, a jump up in exp after finishing the first dungeon quest) as the quests will scale up with you. The dungeon quests scale up as well, so previously you might have been level 40 when you first managed to get into a level 35 dungeon, with a level 35 dungeon quest, whereas now that quest would scale up to a level 40 quest (giving an appropriately scaled up amount of exp).

Also where did you get your 3x health increase figure from? Wouldn't the health increase depend on what level you are? Besides, the majority of the time spent during questing is travelling to the objectives (including travelling from mob to mob), rather than the time spent actually killing monsters. Even if there was a significant increase in health, I doubt it would result in a significant increase in the time it took to level (although the perceived time might increase, since you'd need to pay more attention instead of zoning out).
    Last edited by Turtel; 2017-12-02 at 11:14 PM.

I like everything except for more xp required per level.

Slowing down leveling is a bad choice for me. I like leveling fast and getting to where i wanna be, which is max level content. The faster i get there the better.

I welcome the idea of more XP required on the 1-60 levelling experience. It feels so fast compared to for example Outland or Northrend.

And I love the scaling overall. I always enjoyed levelling in Icecrown but going there on level 77 now means leaving after a few quest since the experience from level 80 is pathetic. I can't wait to level my allied race characters through the zones I like.

New doorways have opened to us.

First off, OP, you are terrible at doing polls. The phrasing is cringe worthy weighted "the challenge"? It is nothing to do with Challenge. It has everything to do with the TEDIUM. level scaling is nice, and I can see them wanting to balance things.. but they are increasing the exp requirement by as much as 60%. This seems terribly needless. I am all ready tired of boring low levels. Only reason I level is when I want to play on a server with a friend or someone I meet in game. I stopped worrying about "the experience" after leveling 4 characters in vanilla.. and then about 120 (a number of which I have deleted) since TBC launch.

But none of this is really relevant to me anymore. I have one of every class at 110.. so I no longer plan to make any new characters. I am likely not even gonna take part in Allied Races.
    "When you build it, you love it!"

I like the idea of leveling actually being a part of the game itself instead of just a hurdle to get over before endgame content.

I am hyped for the changes and will activate my subscription the day it goes live. I will ignore my 110s and go deep into leveling/preparing for next Exp. on a more active server since my original characters are all on low pop servers. For me, this upcoming patch is the best so far.

For Azeroth!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieldon View Post
    I welcome the idea of more XP required on the 1-60 levelling experience. It feels so fast compared to for example Outland or Northrend.

And I love the scaling overall. I always enjoyed levelling in Icecrown but going there on level 77 now means leaving after a few quest since the experience from level 80 is pathetic. I can't wait to level my allied race characters through the zones I like.
    That's how I think about Twilight Highlands, it's a 84 zone, and at 85 you get 75% xp cut due to hitting expansion cap, on live. On PTR you can go 84-90.

I wish expansion-cap XP wasn't reduced that drasticly in 7.3.5, so you can start zones at 59/79/89 and finish them with decent XP still.

Quote Originally Posted by Teri View Post
    That's how I think about Twilight Highlands, it's a 84 zone, and at 85 you get 75% xp cut due to hitting expansion cap.
    Aye, Cataclysm is even more problematic. It's almost impossible to complete two zones before 85. I haven't been to TH since cata .

I don't really care. While leveling on PTR I haven't noticed enough difference in mob "challenge" to stop and consider that they were harder to kill, so it's a giant case of, "Oh okay, whatever." while I carry on with leveling up.

edit: The scaling itself, I'm in full favor of, as well as the achievements being changed to encourage you to play out storylines rather than arbitrarily drop the questline halfway in because everything turned grey.

I'd particularly like for low lvl dungeon difficulty to increase, not to mythic level of course, but enough that DoT based classes can have fun.

7.3.5, enjoying World of Warcraft to the fullest!
    I think they could do more.

The M+ affix system could come into nice use. Less predictable AI, I mean come on the Murlocs in Elwynn Forest still behave the same way they did when the game launched.

Overall, if we're going to have such big toolkits at an early level, make it useful. I sure hope they tune dungeons to be less pushover since my casters can often run through with only getting casts off at bosses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seramore View Post
    How miserable is your life to be posting on a fansite for a game that you hate/hate the ideals of?
    My bet on how many months Classic will last before players start realizing that it's 14 year old content that won't ever get new development: 5 months

Quote Originally Posted by zlygork View Post
    I'd particularly like for low lvl dungeon difficulty to increase, not to mythic level of course, but enough that DoT based classes can have fun.
    ShP agrees with you .

The problem with leveling is not its pace, but that nothing matters until the end game... whats the last timenyou actually looted a mob? Isnt it laughable that in an rpg people dont even loot mobs anymore?

In the whole leveling you have nothing to expect besides the max level... there are no small goals to achieve... no loot to go after since heirlooms... crafting mats does not matter too, etc etc

They need to fix the game economy, remove heirlooms, change the way we gwt skills and talents to something more frequent and have things to do while leveling that will also help you at endgame..
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

Sorry but in every mmo i played the only thing which really mattered was the endgame.

Leveling is only the way to get there and making it longer will only make fewer people walking trough it.

And please why wouldn´t you loot mobs? If your´re doing quest you have to do that because at least every second quest is kill that collect this quest.

High Overlord
    "No - I don't like the extra challenge and leveling pace"

Been playing this game since the start of it and quite done and bored about whole leveling process. Im happy with the current system on place. I've done my share of running around and leveling every class in both factions to max level.

But i do think that there should be a system that will make it easier and easier to level up depending on how many toons you have maxed on account. That way new player would experience the whole "its hard and time taking" thing we did back in the day, and us veterans who don't care about it and want to get to end game fast get there fast.

My problem is I have all the classes 110 level . This expansion must had new class not just similar races .

The mobs have 4x more health at least in classic including in raids. I haven't seen any stats about it requiring more exp but it makes sense as I only got to 57 with heirlooms after the dk starting zone. Overall, there should be no argument for this not to go live as is. Leveling has become a joke and the game is healthier if people are actually playing it instead of flying though it or buying boosts.
    Co-Owner of ONELegionTV - Guides, Tanking, Blood DK Soloing Mythic+ and other discussions about all things in WoW: Legion
    ONElegionTV

This will backfire if the intended goal is to make more people try leveling.

I've said this a million times, but I guess I'll say it again because apparently Blizzard hasn't listened at all to what I keep saying. The core appeal of WoW is making it SOCIAL. Its not really about how difficult or easy a task is. If the goal is to make more people enjoy the leveling game, I have repeatedly proposed the following changes:

1. Add a global LFG channel (they have done this)
    2. Force people to use it by setting it default ON for new toons. (they have NOT done this and it is critical) It is like this in vanilla WoW & on pirate servers and works GREAT.
    3. Periodically FORCE turn global LFG back on for all toons to make sure people use it. Remember, force people to be social.
    4. The social interaction in global LFG adds the social element we need.
    5. Add special bonus monsters in all zones that can only be killed in a group. These can give a variety of interesting things levelers need, among these can be bonus xp, a bonus to rested xp, extra gold.
    6. I'd create a jackpot system where a special monster is out there that can only be killed by a group. The idea is that the more time goes by without anyone killing that mob, the jackpot for killing it goes up. Eventually, it goes up high enough that people can't resist grouping up and killing it. Restrictions would have to be put in place to make it so people who outlevel the zone cannot kill it or heal people who are killing it or even tank it.
    7. Sharding and phasing need to go because it interferes with all of this.
    8. I'd remove dungeon / raid finder to force people to use global LFG. But if dungeon / raid finder must stay, then allow people to look for raids and dungeons for their main while playing their alt. So if I have a level 110 shaman, and I'm on my level 35 paladin, I'd like to browse the tool for an "Only the Penitent" firelands raid while I'm on my paladin. If I see it, I can queue up for it and tell them I'll switch toons when I get accepted. It'd be nice to put in a "raid request" for Only the Penitent within the tool, and if a group forms, it alerts me and I can switch toons.
    9. I'd add some kind of paragon system to it where with each toon you level from 1 to max, you earn something significant for your account. They have done this with the "A Legendary Campaign" mega-achievement for Legion. But they could add more in future xpacs.
    Now, I think its currently WAY too easy to level. I think its important to fix that. But just making leveling harder by boosting mobs HP and cutting XP gains and doing nothing else really fixes very little. This change alone probably makes players avoid leveling more. i don't understand this change. I don't really understand what they are trying to do with this change.

So my vote is YES to this poll --- but I don't think it fixes anything and probably makes things worse.