Thread: Mounts in wvwvw

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Mounts in wvwvw

Thoughts about this idea?

Good, bad?

Terrible. Mounts simply do not work in the game as it stands. WvW is already small enough anyway that it's completely unnecessary.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm trying to find a way to say "no" using 10 characters
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

Desperately needed. Walking from point to point in wvw reminds me of morrowind, not in a good way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe not mounts per se but some sort of speed boost for those long runs when no one has upgraded any keeps to having waypoints.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    Maybe not mounts per se but some sort of speed boost for those long runs when no one has upgraded any keeps to having waypoints.
    And that's the punishment for not investing in keeps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    You're in luck
    Politics lvl 1 has your answer

Even better anyone can use it
    The Original Ganksta

Deleted
    Ah, the "wow has it so it must be bad" bandwagon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah, the "I want this game to be wow 2.0" crowd has arrived
    The Original Ganksta

Quote Originally Posted by Glytch View Post
    Ah, the "I want this game to be wow 2.0" crowd has arrived
    Not in the slightest. I merely suggested if it would be a good or bad thing in wvwvw.

If people are happy that's fine by me.

What people seem to not understand is that the "time to run back" is something needed to the game.

So, very much no, it is a very terrible idea.

People who die often (and consequently need to run back) complain about this quite a bit. Because in the first place it seems that all they want to do is rush in a big pack of enemies, kill everyone and walk away, that's maybe doable in the sPvP but in a large scale battle like WvW it would just never happen. One must know when to fall back, when to press on, when to try something different.

But besides what I just described there is a few things that are good because we have no mounts:

For one by giving players the ability to reach places faster (with mounts) you completely kill (or actually revive) ended battles. How? We all know that you can help downed players, everyone can revive killed players. By making the player able to reach the battle over and over again really fast, the battles would never cease. Would just keep happening and happening. And this isn't just my point of view, it was also pointed from one of the Anet designers. For this reason alone mounts should really be kept away from WvW. (In fact I just agree for it to be in PvE and by only being cosmetic).

2nd is that there is a lot of strategy to actually buy a waypoint in a map. Right now it's not quite common just because everyone is still working their money, building their trusted ranks of the guild and more. But in fact by having one hugely improves the "tide" of a battle, and mounts would really disrupt that.

And 3rd: When I die in battle and rez I will often think "I need to rejoin that battle" and walk towards it but in the middle of it I find an event needing help, or I find some wanderer going on (easy prey ) or some minor battles and etc. To be quite honest with you thats very good! You can't just rush thru stuff, IF you really want to rejoin the battle you died you probably need to go around other battles, sometimes even Kite enemies and etc, but you can also just forget about that battle and just help elsewhere.

So for those 3 main reasons I really think Mounts should not be part of the WvW setting.

Now, I see alot of people complaining about mounts on WvW, but I see no real argument that it needs it besides the "I hate walking to my objective over and over". And the appropriate response to those is quite simple: Just learn to play a little smarter, when to engage, when to not. Where to help, who to group with and etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldschoolwow View Post
    Not in the slightest. I merely suggested if it would be a good or bad thing in wvwvw.

If people are happy that's fine by me.
    Not you, him
    The Original Ganksta

Deleted
    Mounts or some other speed buff is definitely needed in there. In some WvWvW it's 90% running and 10% action and it gets old after a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinitus View Post
    Mounts or some other speed buff is definitely needed in there. In some WvWvW it's 90% running and 10% action and it gets old after a while.
    With mounts or faster speed the entire WvW would need to be rebalanced. Killing defenders or attackers and sending them on a long walk is an important part of the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    No need for mounts at all. Passive speed boost and Swiftness are already available.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    With all the ports around mounts seem wasted in WvWvW all it will do is make it so people run around instead of fighting.

Speed boosts in the form of swiftness and a few other trait based options are fairly common. Several proffessions can provide group versions. Several have options for near perma swiftness or a very close analog on their own. Your not really ment to be runing around on your own out there in WvW. Group up with folks that can provide speed boosts to make geting from point A to point B faster. Invest in waypoints and defend them. Both of those options require a degree of stratigic planing to use, for buffs it may mean you cant use a particlar weapon setup because you need to use one to provide the buff. For WP's it means added cost and more of a requirement to defend that investment. Mounts for speedboosts just make it a requirement for everybody to get one and just throws off the paceing of battles as they may never end if the runback is too short.

Who is John Galt?

I would very much like mounts, yes. In both wvw and all teh rest of the world.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would like slow mounts from an immersion perspective.

No mounts for WvWvW.
    I may pay my subscription every month, but I don't lose sight of the fact that the other 4/9/24/39 people I'm grouped with pay too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Awe View Post
    With mounts or faster speed the entire WvW would need to be rebalanced. Killing defenders or attackers and sending them on a long walk is an important part of the game.
    This.
    Also, spend the gold to upgrade your castles ad keeps for the waypoints. It's well worth the cost