High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hey bros!
    I recently returned after not having played since Cata... Im trying to read up on what abilities and stuff to use on an arcane mage, since everything seems to have changed since I last played.
    My problem is that every website and thread says different things.
    First issue; armors. The op clearly says that Mage Armor is the only viable choice, yet this website says I should go Frost Armor (http://www.noxxic.com/wow/pve/mage/a...-and-cooldowns). Im pretty sure I should use Mage Armor, but just checking .

Next problem; mage bomb.
    Im at a complete loss here, living bomb or nether tempest? Halp. SimulationCraft says Living Bomb, but IDK.

Hope you guys can help me out a bit, sorry for being a complete noob (again ), thanks

Deleted
    First of all noxxic is pretty useless and have been for quite a while so don't trust anything you find on there. For bombs it depends on the fight, single target Living bomb pulls ahead but if there is alot of cleave or more than 3 targets Nether Tempest will become better ( horridon for example). Most people use mage armor afaik but on a pure single target fight haste->mastery by a small margin so you can use frost armor but it will also depend on your haste rating and if you reach any important breakpoints with frost armor or not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thoughts on using Evocate as a DPS cooldown?
    When it's off CD, burn mana with AB spam then dump with evo or is the time spent channeling and the low mastery ABs not worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by Lohe View Post
    If you're semi-hardcore or semi-casual what's the other half? To me, they're both the same thing.
    Canicus - 577 - Arcane Mage - US Mal'Ganis Horde - 12/14H T16

Quote Originally Posted by Xiahz View Post
    ^ Thanks!

Oh yeah, another question. Does NT ticking faster than LB mean that it has a higher chance to proc BoTH?
    It doesn't. This is the whole reason blizzard added a real proc per minute system. The chance to proc for a trinket is devided by the amount of attacks made. So if NT ticks 3x faster it has a 3x reduced chance to proc per tick. In the end the uptime will be equal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saegno View Post
    Thoughts on using Evocate as a DPS cooldown?
    When it's off CD, burn mana with AB spam then dump with evo or is the time spent channeling and the low mastery ABs not worth it?
    Stopped being useful when Evocation started using up Arcane Charges (before you could at least burn Blast, Evo up and then use Missiles and Barrage). Plus it's only doable when using Incanter's Ward which already gives you less damage than Invocation or Rune of Power so it would be an extra loss of dps.
    My magic will tear you apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Shangalar View Post
    Stopped being useful when Evocation started using up Arcane Charges (before you could at least burn Blast, Evo up and then use Missiles and Barrage). Plus it's only doable when using Incanter's Ward which already gives you less damage than Invocation or Rune of Power so it would be an extra loss of dps.
    wow, I thought that change was just for invo, shows how much I've used IW this xpac...worst arc mage EU

10+ Year Old Account
    Any suggestions for H Tortos as arc?
    Thinking IW + Slow Glyph.

If you're semi-hardcore or semi-casual what's the other half? To me, they're both the same thing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by voltaa View Post
    wow, I thought that change was just for invo, shows how much I've used IW this xpac...worst arc mage EU
    I am pretty sure your correct and shang thought the guy asked about invocation evocate, though i think he ment using evocation when using RoP or IW.

Any suggestions for H Tortos as arc?
    Thinking IW + Slow Glyph.
    NT spam with glyphed cone of cold + slow glyph. IW is more or less mandatory. You won't be hardcasting many ABs into turtles really so a different glyph can be used.

Quote Originally Posted by stX3 View Post
    I am pretty sure your correct and shang thought the guy asked about invocation evocate, though i think he ment using evocation when using RoP or IW.
    Nope, I just tested it, IW evo consumes them

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stX3 View Post
    That's what I meant, bleh, oh well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by voltaa View Post
    Nope, I just tested it, IW evo consumes them
    =O now thats just stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh you raiding people :P I often farm a lot of solo content so I use IW or Invo often. Besides, there is no Evocation when you use RoP. Evocation was chamged for Arcane, not for a specific level 90 talent.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by willemh View Post
    It doesn't. This is the whole reason blizzard added a real proc per minute system. The chance to proc for a trinket is devided by the amount of attacks made. So if NT ticks 3x faster it has a 3x reduced chance to proc per tick. In the end the uptime will be equal.
    No, it doesn't. It's based off Time Since Last Proc, not Time Since Last Chance to proc. Therefore, NT ticking more often (logically speaking) will also give more "chances" to proc because it's ticking more frequently than LB.
    IF there is a different, it's so small it's not even worth really caring about.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shangalar View Post
    Oh you raiding people :P I often farm a lot of solo content so I use IW or Invo often. Besides, there is no Evocation when you use RoP. Evocation was chamged for Arcane, not for a specific level 90 talent.
    Yeah sry im rusty with my arcane, havent played it since first week of ToT. Now that you remind me, i do remember RoP replacing Evocate, but i dont remember it replacing IW. And imo it makes little sense to punish evocate use with IW build when it has its normal cd.

10+ Year Old Account
    I personally agree, but that's how it goes for Arcane.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyropanda View Post
    :O That makes alot of sense. Just seen I am running with 9382 mastery & 9495 haste ^^;

Well worth my while swapping a 320 mastery gem to haste I am guessing ?

(Current progress is Iron Qon Hc)

/character/darksorrow/Mspyropanda/advanced

9495 haste is a terrible amount of haste to have lol - Just below all the NT and LB breakpoints both with and without Frost armour !!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Serene View Post
    Yes, 100% worth it to do whatever it takes to get to 9762 Haste if you're sitting at those values and for IQ run LB w/ Frost Armor.
    So I'm guessing I should do the same with switching out Mastery gems for Haste gems? Self buffed and without any armors I'm at 6408 Haste & 13513 Mastery

(askmrrobot) /wow/gear/usa/korgath/azræil
    Last edited by Kastiel; 2013-07-25 at 04:45 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kastiel View Post
    So I'm guessing I should do the same with switching out Mastery gems for Haste gems? Self buffed and without any armors I'm at 6408 Haste & 13513 Mastery

(askmrrobot) /wow/gear/usa/korgath/azræil
    I just ran you in there and yes, you should. You can easily have over 10k mastery and still hit 9762.
    Just go to edit weights, click manual haste cap, enter 9762, save, go up to options, click test beta optimizer, save, click optimize. That will show your gem and reforge paths.

Edit- So it was the start of my first actual week as Arcane and everything went better than expected. H Jinrohk and H Horridon were no problem, as expected. I did find that due to how AM procs off application of mage bombs and I use NT to push back the Direhorn, I was able to game out a TON of AMs and ABs at 4 stacks. H Tortos kind of sucked, as expected. Still did fine on it but near the end I was just throwing Abarrs at the boss from mid air.
    Best part of the night was we got H Meg down on our 4th attempt on what was supposed to be a short, partial farm night.

Also managed to rank on Horridon and Meg, not super high but still, I'm happy.
    Last edited by Saegno; 2013-07-25 at 05:09 AM.

Also managed to rank on Horridon and Meg, not super high but still, I'm happy.
    Ranking with arcane is not particularly hard . This is I think my 3rd reset on my arcane mage after switching to playing it from my warrior and 9 ranks so far i think lol. Not a lot of ppl playing it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by delath View Post
    ranking with arcane is super hard :d. This is i think my 3rd reset on my arcane mage after switching to playing it from my warrior and zero ranks so far i think lol. millions of ppl playing it.
    (stop crushing my sunshine!) :d