Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Moon View Post
    Sure do, all I seem to get are Heavies, when what I need are Assaults and Supports
    Or maybe it's just my Heavies getting killed the most XD
    In my bugged playthrough, I think 75% of my troops were snipers.

Im a huge huge huge fan of the original games of x-com

ive been itching to try this but what ive heard i see that the game is hugely bugged atm

is it worth holding out till it gets patched or should i wait for the sequel?

Quote Originally Posted by vom View Post
    No co-op.

I had one of my colonel's die last night to something pretty stupid. I completely forgot that cars will explode. She was already really injured. And I left her behind the burning car because of the perk or talent or whatever you call it got snipers that gives half cover full cover bonus. Aliens activity and boom, car exploded.
    I believe the highest tier armor (Titan Armor) prevents car explosions from kill your troops, but not 100% sure. Has anyone tested it yet, I am playing ironman and I don't want to waste a soldier if I am wrong.

"Provides extraordinary protection, and confers immunity to fire and poison."

Quote Originally Posted by Combooticus View Post
    Im a huge huge huge fan of the original games of x-com

ive been itching to try this but what ive heard i see that the game is hugely bugged atm

is it worth holding out till it gets patched or should i wait for the sequel?
    Its really not that buggy in my 40 hours experience, the only annoying bug i found is in the big crashed alien ships.

I say get it now.

---------- Post added 2012-10-16 at 04:16 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Purlina View Post
    I believe the highest tier armor (Titan Armor) prevents car explosions from kill your troops, but not 100% sure. Has anyone tested it yet, I am playing ironman and I don't want to waste a soldier if I am wrong.

"Provides extraordinary protection, and confers immunity to fire and poison."
    I can tell you that you still get poisoned, not sure about the car fire though.

Quote Originally Posted by Toccs View Post
    Its really not that buggy in my 40 hours experience, the only annoying bug i found is in the big crashed alien ships.

I say get it now.[COLOR="red"]
    Yeah i think i will definitely pick this up like i said i absolutely loved the old X-com game (even terror from the deep) i suppose i can look past any bugs and the fact that base defense is gone but that shit did get annoying back in x-com if your base defense failed or you had some outpost that didnt have fusion ball defense

anyway look forward to playing this

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    I'm doing it on Classic + ironman and I'm getting mutilated. But I'm still loving it. I'm convinced that I can play better than I am and eventually will beat it!! ONE DAY!!
    Same here. It can be absolutely brutal at times due to legit reasons that make it crazy fun. But I've found that RNG has been kicking my ass lately. "Oh look! My squad missed point blank not once, not twice, but three times and the alien then turned around and killed someone. Woo!" >_<

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Does anyone else wish that you could tell what class a rookie is going to get promoted to? I have plenty assault/heavy/snipers, but I lost my colonel support on a mission and my other support guy is a sergeant and manages to find a way to get hurt on every single mission he goes on. So now I need to designate at least 1 rookie to go on each mission AND verify they get a kill to make sure they get an upgrade... only to have them evolve into a sniper or heavy that I already have plenty of.

Or am I missing something?
    There is an Officer Training Perk that will grant each of your rookies the squadie rank as soon as they are recruited, this is also retroactive. So any rookies you have in roster will be promoted to squadie as soon as you buy the perk.

With this perk you can start molding your crew to your liking. You can hire for example, 4 rookies. Once they arrive, you go to the soldier list and see what class they are, if you get say 4 Heavies and 1 Assault, you can dismiss the extra Heavies and keep 1 Heavy and 1 Assualt. Then hire 4 more Soldiers and repeat the process until you get the class you need.

Granted it's a constant gamble, but this way you don't have to bring a rookie into a battle only to hold his hand and feed him kills that could have been achieved far easier by a few snipers or assault troops.

Mmmm, love me some assault squadies. By far the best squadie there is. Run and Gun as soon as he is recruited is amazing. Hook him up with an alloy cannon or plasma rifle/titan armor/plasma pistol/chitlin plating or nano-fiber vest or scope.

wow, writing that last line there reminds me why i love this game, so many choices!!!

Speaking of choices, Here is a question for the pro's. Which do you like on your sniper better? Snap Shot or Squad Sight? having them both on the same early tier is such a hard decision. Squad Site is awesome, sometimes my sniper doesn't leave his LZ and can take out 5-6 aliens while my assault and supports act as spotters and suppressors. On the other hand, having snap shot has been really helpful getting my sniper in a good position without having to Over Watch with a damn pistol (even if Plasma hits for 3-5 i'd rather have a Head Shot ready with a Plasma Sniper Rifle and get a crit for 25.) Sacrificing Aim or Mobility...Grrr...Once you get later in the game where you have 105 + 10 aim, the snap shot aim reduction isn't really that bad. And the Mobility decrease is becoming a little more hindering.

Hmm that's a great trick, Kathandira, and rookies aren't even that expensive.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Hm. I think Africa is OP as a bonus. I started my 4th game last night w/ the base located in Africa. Blew through the early missions. By month 3 I had tons of cash- enough to build a workshop and a satellites to cover NA. By about 6 months I had satellites over every nation except UK [lost them]. Now I have thousands of credits and fast tracked most upgrades.

Africa money bonus is incredible. That satellite coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    There is an Officer Training Perk that will grant each of your rookies the squadie rank as soon as they are recruited, this is also retroactive. So any rookies you have in roster will be promoted to squadie as soon as you buy the perk.

With this perk you can start molding your crew to your liking. You can hire for example, 4 rookies. Once they arrive, you go to the soldier list and see what class they are, if you get say 4 Heavies and 1 Assault, you can dismiss the extra Heavies and keep 1 Heavy and 1 Assualt. Then hire 4 more Soldiers and repeat the process until you get the class you need.

Granted it's a constant gamble, but this way you don't have to bring a rookie into a battle only to hold his hand and feed him kills that could have been achieved far easier by a few snipers or assault troops.

Mmmm, love me some assault squadies. By far the best squadie there is. Run and Gun as soon as he is recruited is amazing. Hook him up with an alloy cannon or plasma rifle/titan armor/plasma pistol/chitlin plating or nano-fiber vest or scope.

wow, writing that last line there reminds me why i love this game, so many choices!!!

Speaking of choices, Here is a question for the pro's. Which do you like on your sniper better? Snap Shot or Squad Sight? having them both on the same early tier is such a hard decision. Squad Site is awesome, sometimes my sniper doesn't leave his LZ and can take out 5-6 aliens while my assault and supports act as spotters and suppressors. On the other hand, having snap shot has been really helpful getting my sniper in a good position without having to Over Watch with a damn pistol (even if Plasma hits for 3-5 i'd rather have a Head Shot ready with a Plasma Sniper Rifle and get a crit for 25.) Sacrificing Aim or Mobility...Grrr...Once you get later in the game where you have 105 + 10 aim, the snap shot aim reduction isn't really that bad. And the Mobility decrease is becoming a little more hindering.
    To answer your sniper question. I went both routes on 2 snipers. Got both to Col. and let me just say that the one with squad sight was TREMENDOUSLY more valuable than the one without. IMO I don't think this is even an option because the reduction on aim after moving is actually fairly significant.

There are a couple reasons squad sight is important. If your sniper is out of range of their fire your sniper need not necessarily have to be in cover. In fact you look for higher elevation to get better shots rather than good cover. Once you have the flight suit your sniper becomes death incarnate. Without squad sight you cannot do this and your sniper becomes a less mobile unit which is often in the back relugated to overwatch cover fire.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Revik View Post
    To answer your sniper question. I went both routes on 2 snipers. Got both to Col. and let me just say that the one with squad sight was TREMENDOUSLY more valuable than the one without. IMO I don't think this is even an option because the reduction on aim after moving is actually fairly significant.

There are a couple reasons squad sight is important. If your sniper is out of range of their fire your sniper need not necessarily have to be in cover. In fact you look for higher elevation to get better shots rather than good cover. Once you have the flight suit your sniper becomes death incarnate. Without squad sight you cannot do this and your sniper becomes a less mobile unit which is often in the back relugated to overwatch cover fire.
    Your totally correct about the Aeriel Sniper being an angel of death. I use my Snap Shot sniper as an almost front line sniper. My Squad Sight Sniper rarely has to move. i just lift him about a level or two up and have my assault soldiers as spotters. The snap shot sniper is usually in the mid ground, can't have him too close or his aim % will drop even more. But like i said, with Snap Shot you get a -20 to Aim, but when i have 115 Aim he is at 95. which is still really good and rarely misses. you can also boost that more with Combat Stims if you choose to have a support with both a medkit and combat stims. Add in the improved smoke grenades and he has perfect aim.

So in the end, he might need to be assisted via synergy, but he definitely is way more mobile. It helps spend less turns having to sit and wait for your snipers to catch up on long distance missions.

---------- Post added 2012-10-16 at 06:15 PM ----------

Also to add, one of my favorite team setups so far has been

Squad Sight Sniper w/Archangel Suit/Scope
    Snap Shot Sniper w/Archangel Suit/Scope
    2x Assault w/Alloy Cannons/Titan Suit/Chitlin Plating
    1 Assault w/Plasma Rifle/Titan Suit/Scope
    1 Support Full Medic w/Titan Suit/Plasma Rifle/Medkit/Scope or Combat Stims

The reason for the 3rd Assault with a scope is because of his mobility, range, aim and damage. I find him to be more effective than using a Heavy in his place. Heavy's have horrible Aim, low damage and poor movement. Granted they have tons of HP's and Rockets. But i'm not a fan of losing resources when blowing up important things.

---------- Post added 2012-10-16 at 06:23 PM ----------

I retract my statement about Combat Stims. I thought they increased Aim as well. it does not.

Tried the squad sight and snap shot abilities. Honestly, I like the snap shot a bit more. Fits my general playstyle. Usually only have 1 sniper in a mission and he doesn't "fall behind" much.

Typically run: 2 assault, 1 heavy, 2 support and 1 sniper or shiv.

Deleted
    Yeah, snap shot vs squadsight is still a question of preference. Personally I prefer securing the high ground and having a stationary sniper covering the lasses, but I could certainly see myself going for snap shot instead and having my sniper taking a position closer to the front. Both are equally viable.

Quote Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
    Yeah, snap shot vs squadsight is still a question of preference. Personally I prefer securing the high ground and having a stationary sniper covering the lasses, but I could certainly see myself going for snap shot instead and having my sniper taking a position closer to the front. Both are equally viable.
    It depends on the map IMO. If you are raiding a building with no windows it can be difficult to use a squad sight sniper where a snap shot one would provide better utility but any kind of open terrain a squad sight sniper is far superior and worth their slot. With damn good terrain ability in higher elevation you get 100% shots with aliens in half cover and 70%+ in full.

When I was using my snap shot sniper I often felt how I would rather just have another assault-rifle with run and gun and flush or even a heavy for some suppression fire.

On a side note I noticed a lot of people don't user grenades. Does no one use them to destroy destructible cover and expose aliens for a kill shot? I know people say grenades destroy equipment but that's only early on. Later on one of the best uses is destroying cover or destroying stuff that is blocking line of sight.

I am merely curious since I see people equipping everything BUT grenades.
    Last edited by Revik; 2012-10-17 at 05:11 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Revik View Post
    It depends on the map IMO. If you are raiding a building with no windows it can be difficult to use a squad sight sniper where a snap shot one would provide better utility but any kind of open terrain a squad sight sniper is far superior and worth their slot. With damn good terrain ability in higher elevation you get 100% shots with aliens in half cover and 70%+ in full.

When I was using my snap shot sniper I often felt how I would rather just have another assault-rifle with run and gun and flush or even a heavy for some suppression fire.

On a side note I noticed a lot of people don't user grenades. Does no one use them to destroy destructible cover and expose aliens for a kill shot? I know people say grenades destroy equipment but that's only early on. Later on one of the best uses is destroying cover or destroying stuff that is blocking line of sight.

I am merely curious since I see people equipping everything BUT grenades.
    It depends, on UFO landing/Crash, you can use grenades outside the ship w/o any risk of losing resources. In a cityscape scenario i'm cautious since i'm not sure how it effects that nations standing with you if you lay waste to the buildings and vehicles. You are absolutely correct that the use of grenades is an excellent way to take away an enemies cover.

I normally run with 3 Assualt, 2 Snipers and 1 Support. i have 2 Assault with Alloy Cannons for up close devastation, and 1 with a plasma rifle and a scope for mid-range control. He can flush from a greater distance than the other 2 assault troops. So if he moves in a can flush an enemy to a better position to be flanked, then i'll move in my other 2 assault troops to flank or have my snipers take them out. I generally use the assault with the plasma as crowd control.

I'm really just not a fan of Heavies. then again i haven't used one in quite a long time and didn't get them passed Sergent. I may revisit the class and see how they end up at full rank. I didn't mind suppression fire, it did add nice defense and holo targeting is awesome. Most the time though i rather have my support and plasma assault clean up the mid ground and have my snipers and alloy assault take the front and back lines. Hasn't failed me yet.

I use grenades & rockets on my heavy soldiers for exactly that purpose; to destroy cover. Or simply to punch a hole through an area. My playstyle is aggressive- I constantly press the enemy in most cases.

Esp. use grenades/rockets when there are some entrenched Muton Elites at a downed UFO or in the big bases.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I use grenades & rockets on my heavy soldiers for exactly that purpose; to destroy cover. Or simply to punch a hole through an area. My playstyle is aggressive- I constantly press the enemy in most cases.

Esp. use grenades/rockets when there are some entrenched Muton Elites at a downed UFO or in the big bases.
    i may start adopting that strategy. since they removed the option to free fire, i can no longer just shot a wall or rock with a plasma rifle and take it down. That might honestly be the one thing i miss the most from the earlier installments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown User View Post
    Yes and I do believe that the head % is the correct one and the targeting % is bugged. I am aware that even shots with a high percentage should/will miss sometimes but it really shouldn't be happening this consistently.
    Nope. I have 1000 aim on my characters (which changes to offense in a mission) and the head says 1% when the actual accuracy is 100%. The percentage on the head is a bug.

I just wish they'd fix all the actual game-breaking bugs, instead of focusing on the minor ones that don't really cause much damage. I REALLY want to get an Impossible Ironman Mode game going, but every time I've tried, something happens and I can't continue. ><

---------- Post added 2012-10-17 at 12:32 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Edgetroll View Post
    I don't suppose you know how to edit the status on soldiers? In all honestly if I can just do that and take away the "on mission" status for some of them, I can fix that stupid game breaking bug.
    I know not how to edit an actual save. Right now, that's pure hex editing, and nobody's found the addresses for things in the save yet. As for the editing I AM capable of doing, I'll point you here: X-COM EDITING. Hopefully you can access the thread lol.

As far as editing goes, I've actually made Heavies useful to me. Their attacks now do splash damage by 2 squares around the main target (it's a freaking minigun for all intents and purposes, it sprays bullets. Why not?) and I gave them a slightly higher chance to hit at range. Drove me crazy how often they'd miss, even at Colonel. I also upped the damage a bit on rockets. Late-game, rockets are just freaking useless against enemies, I feel it completely pointless to just use rockets for clearing cover. Especially since you can only use it once (or twice if talented). I've done HEAPS of other things too, those are just a few examples.
    Last edited by endersblade; 2012-10-17 at 07:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    i really like that splash damage edit. that should have been implemented in the game pre-edit. As you said, it's a freakin minigun! It would be far more acceptable if there was splash damage. As it stands, Heavy soldiers feel sort of worthless. Support, though having lower hp's, can move farther, suppress, and throw grenades. All the while having better aim.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    i really like that splash damage edit. that should have been implemented in the game pre-edit. As you said, it's a freakin minigun! It would be far more acceptable if there was splash damage. As it stands, Heavy soldiers feel sort of worthless. Support, though having lower hp's, can move farther, suppress, and throw grenades. All the while having better aim.
    I think heavies are pretty useful all in all. Early game, the rocket launcher can take out a group of enemies in one shot and nearly always hits and later, when they get the double shot, they can move after shooting once.. or just shoot twice which is incredibly useful and the 100% more damage to mechanical isnt bad either.

I found supports pretty useless and almost never used them till I got one with psionic abilities.

I mostly went with 2 snipers, 3 assaults and a (semi expendable) heavy which I used for scouting. If he found something, I had my 2 double tap snipers take out the biggest targets or melees and then cleared the smaller ones up with assaults - gun and run in their face and then used the double shot ability to take them down. That group could take out 6-7 big enemies in one turn without leaving much to chance except maybe the tanks.