Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

[Mage] Professions

Mage

Professions

With all the recent changes to professions, including the most recent change to Inscription where epic shoulder enchants are now scribe only it looks like it's time to take a look at each major profession and how they benefit the Mage. We've already had some very good discussions, let's keep it up.
    If I am missing any information, or something is incorrect please post and I will fix it.

Looking for constructive discussion regarding:
    • Static Vs. Dynamic Profession(s) Benefits
    • Dynamic Profession Benefits (Proc chance / Overall Benefit)

Static Profession Benefits:
    Leatherworking:

Total Bonus: +330 Intellect
    Alchemy:

Total Bonus: +320 Intellect (Flask - Mixology)
    Blacksmithing:

Total Bonus:
    • +320 Intellect (Both Intellect Gems)
    • OR
    • +160 Intellect, +320 Secondary Stat
    • OR
    • +640 Secondary Stat (Assuming Identical Gems)
    Enchanting:

Total Bonus: +320 Intellect (Both Rings Enchanted)
    Total Bonus: +320 Intellect
    Jewelcrafting:

Total Bonus: +320 Chosen Stat (Assuming Identical Gems)

Dynamic Profession Benefits:

Good usage of the new Mage Spell, Alter Time can boost the benefit Mages can receive from the procs granted by the following Dynamic Professions. Using Alter Time 6 seconds prior to the end of a proc's duration can boost the duration of the proc a further 6 seconds.
    Subsequent uses of Alter Time on the Tailoring/Engineering proc will likely result in a loss in DPS.

Engineering:

Total Bonus: +320 Intellect
    Tailoring:
    • The Actual average increase from Tailoring will vary with the duration of the encounter and can be calculated with:
      T - time of the fight
      N - Number of procs you should expect in the time: T/64 (rounded down)
      (2000 (15*N) / T) - 180

If you also want to take into account the use of Alter Time at the start of the fight:
      (2000 (15*N + 6)/T) - 180

The above calculations are under the assumption of not having any haste buffs or procs while the Tailoring/Engineering proc is active.
      Having haste buffs/procs during the proc would further increase its value.
    • Lightweave Embroidery
      • Proc effect (15s / 60s ICD)
      • For the rough average of 1 proc, (Proc/icd)buff duration = average - lost stats = Total bonus
      • (2000/60)15 = 500 - 180 = 320 Intellect
      • (2000/64)15 = 468.75 - 180 = 288.75 Intellect (Taking into account ~25% proc chance)

Total Bonus: +288.75 Intellect to +320 Intellect (+468.75 to +500 based on above information, -180 Intellect that would have come from Enchant Cloak - Superior Intellect)

Faction Reputation Patterns/Recipes:
    Golden Lotus (Honored):
    Shado-Pan (Revered):
    August Celestials (Revered):
    Klaxxi (Honored):
    • None

Other:
    Cooking:
    Darkmoon:
    Last edited by Divr; 2012-10-09 at 07:38 PM.
    I know not with what weapons WWIII will be fought, but WWIV will be fought with sticks and stones. ~Albert Einstein

So, I'm hearing that all min/max players should be leveling cooking, every specialization to 600. Normally, the feasts that the raid drops will give you 250 int, but apparently if you have 600 of every type of cooking, the feast will give you 300 int.

MMO champ already has a good guide on this:
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...darian-Cuisine

I added a post at the end to help out with some recommendations while leveling. I'll try to confirm the rumor by next week... as it's a painful amount of mats.

I think the enchanting formulas require Revered reputation and not Honored.

I started looked around at some of the other mages, and it seems like Alchemy might end up being the best profession because of how they fixed the Alchemy trinket. Our BiS trinkets are now Alchemy Stone and Dark Moon Card.

Also, evidently, Lightweave from tailoring has less than a 1 min ICD. I think it probably actually has something like a 50-55 second ICD:
    [23:08:29.264] Hazereaper gains Lightweave from Hazereaper
    [23:08:33.313] Windrie gains Lightweave from Windrie
    [23:08:33.313] Turturin gains Lightweave from Turturin
    [23:08:44.236] Hazereaper's Lightweave fades from Hazereaper
    [23:08:48.287] Turturin's Lightweave fades from Turturin
    [23:08:54.288] Windrie's Lightweave fades from Windrie
    [23:09:26.555] Hazereaper gains Lightweave from Hazereaper
    [23:09:30.407] Turturin gains Lightweave from Turturin
    [23:09:30.435] Windrie gains Lightweave from Windrie
    [23:09:41.399] Hazereaper's Lightweave fades from Hazereaper
    [23:09:45.409] Turturin's Lightweave fades from Turturin
    [23:09:45.462] Windrie's Lightweave fades from Windrie
    [23:10:25.143] Hazereaper gains Lightweave from Hazereaper
    [23:10:29.158] Windrie gains Lightweave from Windrie
    [23:10:29.158] Turturin gains Lightweave from Turturin

Also, this should confirm that Alter Time does not affect ICDs. (You'll notice I had a 20 second Lightweave on the pull, and Lightweave proc #2 still came up again under a minute).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Windry View Post
    I started looked around at some of the other mages, and it seems like Alchemy might end up being the best profession because of how they fixed the Alchemy trinket. Our BiS trinkets are now Alchemy Stone and Dark Moon Card.

Also, evidently, Lightweave from tailoring has less than a 1 min ICD. I think it probably actually has something like a 50-55 second ICD:

Also, this should confirm that Alter Time does not affect ICDs. (You'll notice I had a 20 second Lightweave on the pull, and Lightweave proc #2 still came up again under a minute).
    What did they change with the alchemy trinket again?

---------- Post added 2012-10-03 at 01:17 PM ----------

nvm I see what they did:
    •Zen Alchemist Stone should now work as intended.
    I know not with what weapons WWIII will be fought, but WWIV will be fought with sticks and stones. ~Albert Einstein

If the internal CD of Lightweave is indeed 55s, that makes is better than most other professions with about 328 Int average (without Alter Time considerations). This should be further investigated. Does Haste affect this at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Divr View Post
    What did they change with the alchemy trinket again?

---------- Post added 2012-10-03 at 01:17 PM ----------

nvm I see what they did:
    •Zen Alchemist Stone should now work as intended.
    I also believe they've buffed it. I'm pretty sure the alchemy trinket wasn't that strong in beta.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by scuac View Post
    If the internal CD of Lightweave is indeed 55s, that makes is better than most other professions with about 328 Int average (without Alter Time considerations). This should be further investigated. Does Haste affect this at all?
    Has anyone looked into this a little more?

Quote Originally Posted by Divr View Post
    Has anyone looked into this a little more?
    I don't know what you want...
    It clearly is less than a 1 min ICD.

Just go to your logs on an attempt.
    Expression Editor:
    spell="Lightweave"

Also, clarification:
    Zen Alch Stone and Relic of Yu'lon are BiS (until Nov 2nd) if you are Frost, using Frost Bomb.

As I don't see anything wrong with Rinoa's post on trinkets:
    Relic of Yu'lon and Light of Cosmos are BiS for Fire or NT/LB.

Lastly, for those of you who don't check your Logs, Windsong does not work for casters. You'll get like 1 proc in a 10 min fight.
    Last edited by Windry; 2012-10-10 at 08:16 AM.

Expression Editor:
    spell="Lightweave"

Also, clarification:
    Zen Alch Stone and Relic of Yu'lon are BiS (until Nov 2nd) if you are Frost, using Frost Bomb.

As I don't see anything wrong with Rinoa's post on trinkets:
    Relic of Yu'lon and Light of Cosmos are BiS for Fire or NT/LB.

Lastly, for those of you who don't check your Logs, Windsong does not work for casters. You'll get like 1 proc in a 10 min fight.
    While the proc chance is low,(and a confirmed bug) it is not that low. I had several instances where I had multiple procs at the same time last night.

Seems like they might've fixed Windsong with today's minipatch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems like they might've fixed Windsong with today's minipatch.
    Yup, I'm actually getting stacking procs of Mastery and Haste.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Deleted
    Just a small thing really, is that the bracer enchants are in fact +180 stats and not 170 as it says. Once you put it on your gear you'll see it's 180.
    I bought it today and you can check in my armory (signature) if you don't believe me.
    Nothing big, just wanted to tell you all that LW isn't better than the other professions.

Expression Editor:
    spell="Lightweave"
    Well, in that case the OP needs to be updated since right now it assumes a 60s ICD making Tailoring not as good as other professions. A lower ICD of say 56s would make the bonus on average equal to the other professions.
    Last edited by scuac; 2012-10-14 at 03:10 AM.

Can anyone help clarify the note on why there would be a DPS loss from a second use of Alter Time with one of the profession procs? Intuitively I feel like it should be a pretty solid gain to be able to extend Synapse Springs once every 3 minutes?

Quote Originally Posted by breue View Post
    Can anyone help clarify the note on why there would be a DPS loss from a second use of Alter Time with one of the profession procs? Intuitively I feel like it should be a pretty solid gain to be able to extend Synapse Springs once every 3 minutes?
    If I recall the discussion correctly, it is because the proc of Lightweave does not align with the CDs of other more important spells (e.g. Icy Veins). So, at the beginning of the fight it is fairly easy to combine all of these (Lightweave *should* proc soon after pull), but for subsequent uses of AT it is better to use it when you use your big spells on CD than to wait for a Lightweave proc. If you just happen to have a Lightweave proc at the same time, excellent, but waiting on using AT for a Lightweave proc is not a good strategy.

I've made myself a small UI that tracks the state of all my procs. If the proc is on CD is see how long it is on CD (the longer it is on CD the higher the chance to proc). If it procs I just display the number of the stat it gives (I just recognise that I could add a timer here).
    So if I want to do a big combustion combo I do watch my procs. If there are 1 or 2 nice procs (generally should be above 3k int) I do the AT, PoM, HS, HU magic thing to get a lot of pyros in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by reflection View Post
    I've made myself a small UI that tracks the state of all my procs. If the proc is on CD is see how long it is on CD (the longer it is on CD the higher the chance to proc). If it procs I just display the number of the stat it gives (I just recognise that I could add a timer here).
    So if I want to do a big combustion combo I do watch my procs. If there are 1 or 2 nice procs (generally should be above 3k int) I do the AT, PoM, HS, HU magic thing to get a lot of pyros in a row.
    Mm allmost everyone i know does that but yerr doesnt have much to do with proffession benefits unless ur a tailorer

Deleted
    I've just started playing wow. My character is Mag. And i would really like to be an alchemist. Is it valuable profession? Will i get a lot of gold doing that?

- LW says 330 intellect, when it's actually 320.
    - Synapse Springs actually ISN'T affected by AP/PoM, but using it or an on-use trinket will put the others on a cooldown, equal to the duration of the current on-use effect.
    - Inscription shouldn't include BoE/BoA items as your alts can be a scribe and your Mage can still benefit.

- Blacksmithing is a little more complex than what you posted. Here's the absolute list of mix/matches you can get:
    A. 320 Int (160 Int x2)
    B. 240 Int 160 Secondary (160 Int x1; 80 Int 160 Secondary x1)
    C. 160 Int 320 Secondary (80 Int 160 Secondary x2)
    D. 80 Int 480 Secondary (80 Int 160 Secondary x1; 320 Secondary x1)
    E. 640 Secondary (320 Secondary x2)

It should also be noted that options C, D, and E can give two separate Secondary stats. For instance, option D can give a Reckless and Smooth gems. Reckless gives Int/Haste and Smooth gives Crit. While not normally optimal to do something like this, a few situations could actually benefit from this (such as perfectly hitting a haste threshold or getting to your hit cap, but only needing one gem socket to do so).
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.