MoP Bearcat gearing, gemming question

Having to use one spec for cat and one for bear wasn't completely unexpected, needing to get two full sets of gear is a bit annoying though.

I've read that Agility is the best stat to gem for cat and that Stam will probably be best for bear at lower tiers, but how much of a loss would it be to gem for Mastery instead?

With secondary stat values being doubled on gems and Mastery being at the top of the list for secondary stats for both bear and cat I'm wondering if this couldn't be a way to go for a single set of gear for both specs?

I haven't been able to find any weighted numbers for stat values from MoP theorycrafting.

With the break from Cat/Bear "Bearcating" and using one set of gear is something I really think Blizz is trying to make impossible to do, its not fair to any other tank class that we can get away with 1 set of gear for 2 specs competitively.

Where did you read Mastery is better? Everything I've read is Stam/Dodge then Mastery. You're going to loose quiet a bit of mitigation not stacking Dodge. That's really all bear has. Without it you're going to have more armor sure but you're going to put a tax on your healers. It's always better to dodge an attack then cut its damage down.

I would just bite the bullet and get two sets of gear, it really isn't that hard.

The though process of mastery>dodge is that 2/3 of the time, savage defense should be up (6 sec duration 9 sec for charge). When savage defense is up, dodge becomes alot less useful since 1% more dodge over 45% that sd gives is not 1% it is closer to a half percent (1% of 55% remaining left on the hit table). What happens with the 3 sec of SD downtime is that we become a spiky damage tank. That is the point of mastery is to level off the damage we take during this downtime. In fact the 55% left over on the hit table is even less since agility and bear form should at least give 15%. The DR of dodge over 60% weakens that stat be much less useful to armor, and thus mastery.

I don't know much about kitty min maxing but another nice rating for guardians is crit, though crit has the same DR mechanic as dodge though without the flat 45%. Crit gives more rage and we want to be as far as we can over 6.66 RPS so as to use SD on charges and have plenty of rage left over for FR.

Quote Originally Posted by Termon View Post
    The though process of mastery>dodge is that 2/3 of the time, savage defense should be up (6 sec duration 9 sec for charge). When savage defense is up, dodge becomes alot less useful since 1% more dodge over 45% that sd gives is not 1% it is closer to a half percent (1% of 55% remaining left on the hit table). What happens with the 3 sec of SD downtime is that we become a spiky damage tank. That is the point of mastery is to level off the damage we take during this downtime. In fact the 55% left over on the hit table is even less since agility and bear form should at least give 15%. The DR of dodge over 60% weakens that stat be much less useful to armor, and thus mastery.

I don't know much about kitty min maxing but another nice rating for guardians is crit, though crit has the same DR mechanic as dodge though without the flat 45%. Crit gives more rage and we want to be as far as we can over 6.66 RPS so as to use SD on charges and have plenty of rage left over for FR.

Mastery/Crit/ Haste is currently what Feral uses (most w/hit/exp caps). If Crit is good for bear and you absolutely have to use 1 set, I don't see the harm in that kind of a build. I find using 1 set means you lack something for both specs that can be covered by simply having 2 sets.

Quote Originally Posted by FeralSynapse View Post
    Where did you read Mastery is better? Everything I've read is Stam/Dodge then Mastery. You're going to loose quiet a bit of mitigation not stacking Dodge. That's really all bear has. Without it you're going to have more armor sure but you're going to put a tax on your healers. It's always better to dodge an attack then cut its damage down.
    From what I understood, dodge was indeed better than mastery in terms of reducing incoming damage, but that mastery trumped dodge in terms of effective health? And that effective health was what is ideally needed in terms of progression? Please correct me if I'm wrong because currently I'm all stamina/mastery/crit (Crit for savage defense up-time).
    Last edited by Themessiah; 2012-10-02 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Clarity