Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Clash1 View Post
    Yes, but there are only a few areas where the concept of the ability's delayed damage can be utilized or even noticed. It tends to be more of a liability for leveling and trash mobs as it is currently designed. So, that leaves boss fights and PvP. You're not really gonna notice when the ability does it's damage when attacking a boss mob; It's just another button to push in order to get through the fight. And we've already established the problem with RNG and dispells during PvP. So, where is this ill-conceived delayed damage mechanic supposed to shine?

I stand by my opinion that this ability does indeed suck.
    You aren't really noticing at the same time when all deceases/pets/autoattacks/procs are doing dmg to bosses, but overall everything adds up. Besides SR will be the best dump for unholy rune/death rune becouse it's dmg will top every other choice.

For PvP it'll have it's use becouse of necrotic strike mechanic - when you've enough NS stacked only way to remove SR is dispell and if it's on cd target is boned. Although i somewhat agree that there's not much difference between applying SR and see its being dispelled in 1 gcd, or applying NS and see its being outhealed in 1 gcd. Would like to see some light dispell protection added to ability, something like 25% haste for Xsec when it's dispelled.

So all in all i don't think it's a great ability, it'll see some uses but definetly a let down considering we got to see 1 new ability (outside of talents) this expansion. Lazy devs are lazy...

Deleted
    Not surprising it's an under par ability. GC has decided to can dks so he wants to drive people away from this class, by adding shoddy mechanics and overall suckage. Well he was successful in my case, tbh. Having a tremendous fun on my monk.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree it was a bit clunky while leveling, but once you're doing heroics it seems rather nice ability once you get used to the priority

Dont be silly, you dont try to get used to an ability or use it in more situations than mobs you twoshot before complaining on the forums that its awful!

Lazy devs are lazy...
    Busy Devs were Busy, and Death Knights were working well and overall mostly enjoyed by the population that played their class. Not a lot of change was needed, and what was changed didn't require a ton of new abilities to make feel right.

Sorry, but that's how it is. Go look at how extensively other classes were rebuilt for 5.0; Warlock Says hello.
    Zombie Vampire Werewolf

Deleted
    Soul reaper sucks? Yeah, probably you missed something here and there...

Just use it in optimal situations (aka heroic/raid bosses) then come back.

Quote Originally Posted by Italiandk View Post
    Soul reaper sucks? Yeah, probably you missed something here and there...

Just use it in optimal situations (aka heroic/raid bosses) then come back.
    See, this is my point. Once you're dealing with (heroic/raid bosses), it doesn't really matter if there is a delay to the effect or not. Once the target gets below 35%, you just hit the button regularly. But, in the situations where it is a cool and conscious decision (where the effect can be noticed), the ability falls flat because of the excessive 5 second delay.

I'm sure SR is awesome at PvE, but I think it would be nearly impossible to pull it off at PvP.
    I do hope I'm wrong though.

Ofcourse it will be usefull in PvP, even if only to force dispell. Dispells have long cooldowns now, and dispelling soul reaper will leave the opponents vulnerable to for example a polymorph.

10+ Year Old Account
    While leveling, I throw soul reaper when the mob will die before it expires. 50% haste is beast on the roflpacks I pull as Blood. One Blood rune to get essentially one of each? Sure thing.

We have the best execute in the game. For everyone else, if the mob dies, they lose their execute. For us, it means we kick significantly more ass for 5 seconds, at which point another one should die...

Quote Originally Posted by Omertocracy View Post
    While leveling, I throw soul reaper when the mob will die before it expires. 50% haste is beast on the roflpacks I pull as Blood. One Blood rune to get essentially one of each? Sure thing.

We have the best execute in the game. For everyone else, if the mob dies, they lose their execute. For us, it means we kick significantly more ass for 5 seconds, at which point another one should die...
    Other class's executes can't be dispeled and warrior executes hit for upwards to 150k even in pvp
    2400 EXP Multi-Boxer On Tichondrius Alliance/Horde

Now that I've been able to use it for awhile, I can fairly safely say, i'm not a huge fan. Not only does it add another spell to our fairly extensive spell priority list, it adds a binding, and more complex rune management. Since getting soul reaper off every 6 seconds is so important, not having a rune ready for is can be a fairly big dps loss.

Blood tap makes this easier, but that doesn't make it more fun. I sincerely think that if the cost was changed to runic power it would work much better. Currently it works well for unholy and blood, but its easier to have 20 RP pooled every 6 seconds than to make sure we always have a rune of the correct type.

Leveling is actually very nice with soul reaper, especially if you pull more than one mob at once. At level 87-88 it works well however as non blood the mobs tend too hard to double pull as often and get the benefit of 50% haste.

I don't think it needs to be undispellable though. Dispells already have an 8 second CD. This means that every other soul reaper will get through. In addition, dispelling soul reaper means that for 8 seconds, they cannot dispell CC from their allies. GC made a post about this for ele shaman recently where I believe he made the same analogy. Personally I think their situation is worse but both can be applied more frequently than the dispel cd.

10+ Year Old Account
    Atop the Golden Throne, wondering how it was easier to get up than back down.
    I was looking forward to trying out this new ability and now that I have....I'm very disappointed.
    Umm... weren't you in beta? <.< This shouldn't really be all that new for you...

If they wanted to implement an ability in such a way, then the effect should have been set to at the most 3 seconds because.....FIVE SECONDS.....is an eternity. Especially in PvP and for an ability that can be dispelled.
    You have to keep in mind it's one of the hardest-hitting abilities we have in PVP. It's almost four times stronger than Scourge Strike is for an Unholy DK, and has the best AP-scaling of any damaging ability in our arsenal.
    Leviatharan - Level 120 Blood Elf Unholy Death Knight - Inscription/Herbalism - <Conflux> - Drak'Tharon US

Now author of Morbid Musings, a blog dedicated to DK theorycraft. Ish.

Quote Originally Posted by Leviatharan View Post
    Umm... weren't you in beta? <.< This shouldn't really be all that new for you...

You have to keep in mind it's one of the hardest-hitting abilities we have in PVP. It's almost four times stronger than Scourge Strike is for an Unholy DK, and has the best AP-scaling of any damaging ability in our arsenal.
    Yes, I was. But, I don't level during Beta. It's like opening your Christmas presents early. For me, that is a no-no.

Back on topic:
    Lowering the delayed damage component to 3 seconds (instead of 5) would have zero effect on how often we would use Soul Reaper. The ability still has a 6 sec cooldown.

Back on topic:
    Lowering the delayed damage component to 3 seconds (instead of 5) would have zero effect on how often we would use Soul Reaper. The ability still has a 6 sec cooldown.
    So doesn't this mean that applying SR and having it dispelled right away, won't assure the next application will go off?
    Because that guy said:

Dispells already have an 8 second CD. This means that every other soul reaper will get through.
    Last edited by KlayzZ; 2012-09-28 at 04:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Murdos View Post
    Busy Devs were Busy, and Death Knights were working well and overall mostly enjoyed by the population that played their class. Not a lot of change was needed, and what was changed didn't require a ton of new abilities to make feel right.

Sorry, but that's how it is. Go look at how extensively other classes were rebuilt for 5.0; Warlock Says hello.
    And that has a lot do with single new lvlup ability being a delayed execute? There's not enough classes around with execute abilities? I'm simply saying that at some point Blizzards creativity went down the drain and we're looking at tons of new skills being different classes abilities remakes spiced with a different sauce. I really don't want to go into a long dispute, but atm dota2 hero pull includes many times more really unique abilities then all abilities spread between classes in WoW and most of them were developed during first Dota times by fanbased dev team working for free.

So yeh, rebuilding WHOLLE 1 CLASS in 2 years (actually wait, they didn't since all abilities are the same, just interaction with resource systems changed) and introducing a new class with resource system established long before WoW came out and more then half abilities being a cosmetic remakes makes developer team of the most profitable MMO busy... Seriously man that's a case of your expectations being low and you being satisfied with a "new" ability that's been in game in different forms for years already.

Oh and just wait a couple of weeks till pvp and pve imbalance whining storm will start to reaffirm your believe in Blizzards well done job.

Back to OT - came to conclusion that SR seriously sucks. Playing unholy and it's yet another brainless ability added to our arsenal - just use it below 35% becouse it has more dmg/cast then SS.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by KlayzZ View Post
    So doesn't this mean that applying SR and having it dispelled right away, won't assure the next application will go off?
    It's not assured, it depends when the enemy healer will dispell your 1st SR: if the healer dispels it right away (so, let's say, after 1 sec you applied it) he could dispels the next SR aswell [when the healer will dispel your SR you'll have 5 sec CD left on SR so, when you'll cast the next SR the healer will have 3 sec CD left on dispel that leaves 2 sec to the healer to be able to dispel your 2nd SR] but if he delays too much the first dispel he won't be able to dispel the second one. So, in the end, the healer is able to dispel 2 SR out of 3 if he does it right.

With 3 sec delay the healer would be able to dispel just one SR out of 2.

It's just roughly math.

Lols since when abilitys are made for lvling?Soul reaper is decent for end game pve.

Not a bad ability for PvE, although for PvP's sake they could have gone with something less than 5 seconds. Seems a bit excessive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Soul Reaper is absurdly powerful. The fact that you're judging anything based on leveling speaks for itself. If you can't figure out when a mob is going to hit 35% i don't know what to say. It sounds like you have a problem rather than the ability itself.