Alter Time Explanation

Can somebody explain to be how exactly it works for getting the extra 6 seconds out of Icy Veins and Time Warp. Do you like use alter time immediately after using Icy Veins/Time Warp?Or do you use it 6 seconds afterwars?

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been playing with it and like using it when they are about to expire for the extra time. However my guess would be that using AT when your CD's are 6sec from expiring + time warp would be the best bet so you get your CD's an extra 6 seconds.
    Battletag: Vale#11596
    Armory - Twitter - Stream

10+ Year Old Account
    For Arcane:
    During Power, when you're close to full mana, at 6 charges and with 2 Missiles proc. (can build charges and then use a mana gem and then alter time)

For Frost:
    During Icy Veins with Brain Freeze and 2 stacks of Fingers of Frost.

For Fire:
    On Trinket (and similar) procs, preferrably with Hot Streak up.

Alright. Thanks a lot for the explanation!

10+ Year Old Account
    Just to clarify: the idea is that your procs return if you used alter time when you had them, making those 10 seconds quite bursty.

Deleted
    Does alter time only work on buffs or on CD's aswell?

10+ Year Old Account
    only on buffs

I have two questions. Would you want to use AT when you have at least 6s left on IV (or AP)? If I understand AT correctly, if you use it with 2s left on IV it will later give you just those 2s left back. Is there any benefit on casting AT on the limit when there are 6s left? I would think it is safer to use it as soon as you can (after IV and procs come up).

---------- Post added 2012-09-26 at 10:35 PM ----------

Another one! I got to 87 today and when I dinged it didn't show any new abilities I learned. Do I need to go to a trainer to learn Alter Time? I thought the new system was that we learned spells on the go.

10+ Year Old Account
    It got into my spellbook instantly when I hit 87 :O, even on the correct tab. It's the first spell on the list.

And yeah, to maximize the benefit you should use it with at least 6 seconds left on any buff you want to prolong.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shangalar View Post
    It got into my spellbook instantly when I hit 87 :O, even on the correct tab. It's the first spell on the list.

And yeah, to maximize the benefit you should use it with at least 6 seconds left on any buff you want to prolong.
    Yeah, we dont need to train spell anymore, and I am pretty sure that Alter is the first spell in alphabetic order

Deleted
    has anyone found a good way to use it in a rotation yet?

I'm currently playing a fire mage but havn't really found a good way to fit it in.

Do we expect this to be quite a vital part of mage pve dps? or is it situational? im worried i'm not fully understand something that could help boost dps quite alot.

Quote Originally Posted by yorkey View Post

I'm currently playing a fire mage but havn't really found a good way to fit it in.

Do we expect this to be quite a vital part of mage pve dps? or is it situational? im worried i'm not fully understand something that could help boost dps quite alot.
    When you have some trinket procs and hot streak would be a good time to use it with fire or with time warp/bloodlust up

Deleted
    i Use it on a Pyro Procc, if you use Alter Time a second time you get the benefit from it instantly. Use on Burst Phase to maximize the Ignite/Pyro tick for 30k+ Combustions.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by yorkey View Post

I've had a bit of a play with it now, and finding it can be quite useful. With it's 3 min CD (i think) you only tend to use it once on normal bosses. I've found using it katjezz says on pyro proc you can get another one off straight after which is generally a nice little bit of extra dps.
    I think you can get an extra few seconds of time warp as well, i had a try with it but spent soo much time watching for it to have 6 seconds left on TW that i slacked a bit on my dps anyway so not a very fair test.

I think for now i'm going to use it to get an extra instant pyro in during boss fights and see how it goes.

10+ Year Old Account
    But you don't need to have 6 seconds left on time warp, you only need a minimum of 6 seconds. So use it anytime between 6 and 40.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shangalar View Post
    But you don't need to have 6 seconds left on time warp, you only need a minimum of 6 seconds. So use it anytime between 6 and 40.
    ah ok, thanks

Deleted
    u have to remember, that using presence of mind gives u A BUFF! u can do better trick. wait till ur hot streak procs, when it does u need to cast presence of mind and then ur trinket ability (spell power preferably). think what u got now: 2 free pyro waiting for launch boosted with trinket's spell power xD NOW is the time to use alter time, then u cast pyro two times for free consequently, after that u hit alter time again and u got another two boosted pyros! xD after 4 free pyros u cast inferno blast, then COMBUSTION and inferno again FOR HUGE DPS!!! xD u can also add tempest/orb/living bomb dot before casting inferno to spread that effects if there are more mobs. xD not to mention that u can also launch spell power potion just before hitting first pyro xD

on pull:
    Invocation pre-pull ->
    Mirror Image ->
    Icy Veins + Time Warp ->
    Frost Bomb ->
    Frost Bolt x3 -> (Frost Bomb Detonates, providing Brain Freeze)
    Frozen Orb -> (Charges Fingers of Frost procs to full)
    Presence of mind + Alter Time ->
    Ice Lance -> Ice Lance ->
    Frostfire bolt (Brainfreeze) ->
    Frostfirebolt (Presence of Mind) ->
    Frost Bomb -> Ice Lance ->
    Frost Bolt ->
    THIS IS WHERE THE MAGIC HAPPENS:
    --Alter time resets you to: 2x FoF + PoM + Brain Freeze + Bomb about to explode + extends Bloodlust + Icy Veins + Invocation by six seconds each.
    Frostfire bolt (Brainfreeze) ->
    Frostfire bolt (Presence of Mind) ->
    Frostfire bolt (Brainfreeze)
    Ice Lance (Fingers of Frost) ->
    Ice Lance (Fingers of Frost) ->
    Frost Bolt rotation resumes

This rotation is ridiculously hard to get used to but always allows you to get off:

4x Frost Bolts
    2x Frost Bombs
    +6 seconds Icy Veins
    +6 seconds Time Warp
    +6 seconds Invocation
    2x Presence of Mind
    5x FoF Ice Lance (All after the frostbolt debuff is stacked)
    3x Brain Freeze procs

It is by far the most efficient way to start a boss fight as frost.

P.S. Bonus points if you can get fed a Power Infusion and use a Potion pre-Alter Time so you can milk them for an extra six seconds

Deleted
    Your bomb doesn't reset to 6 seconds back, rest is correct.