Page 1 of 3
LastLast

So what spec should we go starting in MoP raiding?

Alright guys, title says it all...

What is the spec of choice to go where we can pull the highest numbers starting in raids for MoP. Talking about having a decent amount of heroic gear, what spec should we go?

10+ Year Old Account
    They are as close as ever currently, choose what playstyle you like the most. I'm biased towards Arcane, but it's also the only spec of the three which doesn't depend on a single stat (Crit in the case of Fire and Frost). Problem is that most of the T14 raid encounters have mid-high movement (from what I've been told, I haven't tested), making Arcane a bit more difficult to master.

Frost/arcane. So sick of fire.

Hopefully we will be getting guides on all three specs, I havent played for a year, and im slightly lost on gearing for each spec, and rotations/glyphs/talents

I started playing WoW during WoTLK and started with a Frost Mage and when I first started raiding I was beside myself because Frost was such shit for PvE. I am now happier than ever that my favorite spec is now viable! So I for one will be going Frost! :>

Quote Originally Posted by Shangalar View Post
    They are as close as ever currently, choose what playstyle you like the most. I'm biased towards Arcane, but it's also the only spec of the three which doesn't depend on a single stat (Crit in the case of Fire and Frost). Problem is that most of the T14 raid encounters have mid-high movement (from what I've been told, I haven't tested), making Arcane a bit more difficult to master.
    I thought the general consensus was that Haste is the goto stat for Frost. In general your main stat is Mastery/Arcane, Crit/Fire, Haste/Frost.

Yeah last I heard Frost's best secondary stat was Haste, followed by Crit.
    Since shatter was changed from 3x Crit to 2x Crit + 50% it's less valuable than just casting more frostbolts.

10+ Year Old Account
    I understood that your priority is still to first get to shatter cap and then spam haste... oh well... we'll see soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Tato23 View Post
    Alright guys, title says it all...

What is the spec of choice to go where we can pull the highest numbers starting in raids for MoP. Talking about having a decent amount of heroic gear, what spec should we go?
    you are doing it wrong, play the spec you want to.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    you are doing it wrong, play the spec you want to.
    I think the spec he wants to play is the one that does most damage, that's what this topic seems to imply

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    I think the spec he wants to play is the one that does most damage, that's what this topic seems to imply
    But when they are close enough that it doesn't matter its not that much of a question.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

As Gamdwelf said, they're nearly identical in DPS. How familiar the player is with a given spec will matter far more than which spec the player is using.

Deleted
    Always Fire.

In a Patchwork Fight we have a 0,5% DMG difference between all 3 Specs, but if it comes to movement, Fire wins by far. And Bosses do have..."movement".

I was under the impression that Frost has better movement DPS than Fire, not only does Frostbolt have a shorter cast time but it can stockpile up to five instant cast spells if it has to, six if you aren't using Frost Bomb.
    Spamming Ice Lance on the move without FoF is certainly not a good idea but I really don't know what Fire would do in that situation either, it's not like you can or would want to use Inferno Blast for moving about rather than for getting Hot Streak.

Frost;

(Some combination of depending on luck) Brain Freeze, Ice Lance, Ice Lance
    (Cooldowns) Frost Orb > Ice Lance, Freeze > Ice Lance
    (Depending on talents) Refresh Nether Tempest

Fire:

(If you are extremely lucky) Hot Streak, Inferno Blast > Hot Streak / (If you are quite lucky) Hot Streak, Inferno Blast / Inferno Blast
    (Depending on talents) Refresh Nether Tempest

Ignite ticks while Fire is moving but it doesn't do that significant an amount of damage even with Scorch keeping it up (the damage rolls), and Scorch can still proc Ice Lance for Frost. Plus while Fire has Ignite ticking, Frost has Water Elemental ticking and that doesn't even need a cast from the player to keep it going.

And as you are a mage you have Blink anyway, not like movement isn't trivial for you
    Last edited by Imnick; 2012-09-28 at 03:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Katjezz View Post
    Always Fire.

In a Patchwork Fight we have a 0,5% DMG difference between all 3 Specs, but if it comes to movement, Fire wins by far. And Bosses do have..."movement".
    actually frost is way better than fire at movement.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    actually frost is way better than fire at movement.
    Really? I thought that with Fire getting a crit bonus on Scorch damage, it should pull ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Katjezz View Post
    Always Fire.

I've seen you post in two mage threads. You're an idiot. Stop saying things that are completely incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by Sattori View Post
    Really? I thought that with Fire getting a crit bonus on Scorch damage, it should pull ahead.
    Why the hell did you reply to the one sentence post rather than the one that actually explains why you're wrong?

Why the hell did you reply to the one sentence post rather than the one that actually explains why you're wrong?
    Because the longer post doesn't mention Scorch's crit bonus ;-)
    Just have to take it by the actual raid numbers though, there are a lot of variables to consider!

I'm going to be playing fire, mainly because the difference on a stand still fight on sims is about 2-4k. I enjoy playing fire, so I think you should play the one that you are best at or have the most fun playing.