Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Kung Fu Panda was inspired by the silly childish jovial joke of a race that was added to War 3 as an April Fools joke. I just hit you with a 2 ton pile of bricks. So everything you said doesnt hold water at all. Yeah, that just happened.

Edit: In fact the writer avidly played War 3.
    [citation needed]

Deleted
    Kung Fu Panda was inspired by the silly childish jovial joke of a race that was added to War 3 as an April Fools joke. I just hit you with a 2 ton pile of bricks. So everything you said doesnt hold water at all. Yeah, that just happened.

Edit: In fact the writer avidly played War 3.
    [citation needed]
    Yes, because the first thing you'd reference when thinking of Pandas was that one guy from WC3, and not the whole fact that pandas actually exist or anything.

Massive troll, 2/10.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulslaver View Post
    thats an avatar from someone on the forum, how can you relate a scene to that?

But using an image from a manga/anime of "GENERIC JAPANESE GUY WITH BLUE HAIR IN ROBE" is so much more adult.

Whatever you say, "Soulslaver." Keep slavin' those souls, you big ol' grown-up, you.

Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    Wait, you took advice from a childrens book writer on what might or might not be considered childrens content and how it should be viewed?

Dear God, now I've seen it all.

i wouldnt call that advise. id call it straight forward truth. also, even if i took it as advise, why would taking advise from a childrens book writer be a bad thing? he's a pretty old fella now, and taking advise from a senior is, and has always, been a sound thing to do.
    Last edited by Shinoashi; 2012-09-27 at 05:15 PM.

To those who keep drawing comparisons between Kung Fu Panda and MoP, I think another game actually beat both Blizzard and Dreamworks to the punch on the whole martial artist panda bear thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sly_Coo...vius_Raccoonus, released in 2002.

http://slycooper.wikia.com/wiki/Panda_King, one of the main antagonists.

So, we can start calling MoP a Sly Cooper rip off now yeah? :P

15+ Year Old Account
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.
    - C.S. Lewis
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Killmaim Deathbringer View Post
    Because of this film

What...? I really love the original Kung Fu Panda opening. It was a good film! And the film was targeted at a general audience, not exclusively young kids. Why do you think it's so popular?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edison View Post
    I've heard alot of hate lately on mop because of Pandarens and "Pokémon" so I just have to get this out there

I just wanna ask all of you who says that pandaren made the game childish etc etc, we have walking walrus-people, holy cows, space goats, fish men, bearpeople (furbolgs) yeah you get the deal. But all of a sudden a Panda creature is crossing the line. I don't see the logic here.
    I agree with you totally. It's not the fact that panda's are crossing the line. Just haters using it as fuel to bicthing about more Invaild shit. Most Childern cant pay Subs or Game-Cards. So i highly doubt it was made for them. Don't listen to Bashers that are desperate to find any shitty reason to bash this great game.

People will think leveling isnt an instant thing then go on fourms saying Questing is broken/Boring & Slow. People will go into LFR then bicth on forums because they didnt get 5 items and say the Loot system is broken. People will go into pvp and do stupid shit like fight on roads and jump head 1st into 4 enemy players then bicth on fourms because they died quick claiming PvP sucks/Class sucks/broken etc etc.

The really sad thing is this is the bulk of what starts stupid topics and people saying crap. They cant get it there way so instead of applying skill or looking for a way to get better. they just attack the game. L2P baddies.
    Remember, A Man may break a Woman's Heart - But a Woman will destroy a Man's life. - SJK @ the #Antiwokenessworld

In the popular western media, I know of two occasions there have been anthropomorphic pandas as the focus of a story. Kung Fu Panda & Mists of Pandaria. So popular preconceptions of pandas-as-characters are going to be based off KFP, MoP or real life pandas (or a mix of those three).

While Pandaren do predate KFP in warcraft as a minor sidenote in one sequel of the RTS, KFP became a multi-billion dollar global franchise with prime time coverage and mass public recognition prior to MoP. As demonstrated by the telephone, getting their first chronologically doesn't mean much if people aren't aware of it.

While there are probably higher odds of WoW gamers being aware of Pandaren early, it's still probable that many/most of them had their first impressions of what anthropomorphic pandas are like via KFP. Remember that there is no established body of literature for pandas, as there is for minotaur (half-bovines) or werewolves, and the public's perception of something is going to be based off how they first perceive it. E.G. Minotaur would be very different creatures if your strong initial impressions were based off dairy-cows rather than theseus-and-the-minotaur stereotypes.

Even if people don't have pre-established biases due to KFP, if they have preconceptions based on real-life pandas those aren't likely to emphasise rugged, independent, adult-associated traits. Real life pandas are widely know to be vulnerable to extinction and require careful preservation (both dependent child-like characteristics), as well as having sexual/reproductive difficulties (asexuality also being typically associated with childhood).

Those are a lot of child-related initial perceptions to overcome. If those are your preconceptions of anthropomorphic pandas, it's certainly not a reach to dismiss them as universally childish.

It's certainly not impossible to overcome preconceptions - there have been plenty of stories where the creators have managed to recast a murderer, criminal or deviant as a sympathetic character, overcoming initial stereotypes. However Bliz is not making life easy for themselves by introducing a stereotype with wide & one-sided child-oriented preconceptions. They need to reinvent the stereotype to do it. And they've made that stereotype a universal central element of their game (unlike e.g. the tuskarr)

Note: I'm not saying whether it's good or bad, valid or invalid, praiseworthy or immoral. I'm simply attempting to make a detached compilation of child-like associations that get tapped into by panda-characters. It should be entirely possible to see pandaren as something inclined to be childish, but that overcome preconceptions in the storytelling. If Bliz do their jobs as narrators right anyway.

Childish or not Pokemon is fun

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryntrollian View Post
    Childish or not Pokemon is fun
    Yeah, Pokemon is fun.

I prefer Generation 1-3 over Generation 6 though. Too many side quests and annoying confusing bits of lore i'm not able to understand.

/////////s

Well lets see my little niece who just turned 6 just loves Kung Fu Panda and the last time I played a Pokemon game I was 14. To deny that this expansion was designed to do anything other then attract a younger audience and also pander to a Chinese audience is full out denial.

Put Pandas next to Blood Elf Paladins and then have the balls to tell me which storyline is better by far.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Killmaim Deathbringer View Post
    Because of this film

I've never seen those movies but that was pretty awesome lol. I kind of like pandaren better now....
    It's pronounced "Dur-av-ian."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jaykaywhy View Post
    But using an image from a manga/anime of "GENERIC JAPANESE GUY WITH BLUE HAIR IN ROBE" is so much more adult.

Whatever you say, "Soulslaver." Keep slavin' those souls, you big ol' grown-up, you.
    you sound desperate

Quote Originally Posted by Edison View Post
    I've heard alot of hate lately on mop because of Pandarens and "Pokémon" so I just have to get this out there

I just wanna ask all of you who says that pandaren made the game childish etc etc, we have walking walrus-people, holy cows, space goats, fish men, bearpeople (furbolgs) yeah you get the deal. But all of a sudden a Panda creature is crossing the line. I don't see the logic here.
    I think the cut-scenes are more cartoony then anything I've seen in the past expansions and the voices and music sound like they are from a Saturday morning cartoon so for that reason it does seem a lot more childish than usual to me. But I've only played it briefly (haven't been home much this week) so I will have to experience more content until I figure out if I like the expansion or not.

---------- Post added 2012-09-27 at 01:50 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by jaykaywhy View Post
    [citation needed]
    Citation needed? What is MMO-Champion the new Wikipedia all of a sudden? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Soulslaver View Post
    thats an avatar from someone on the forum, how can you relate a scene to that?

You see it during the pandarian starter zone.

Edit: The picture is taken from 0:42

Deleted
    Alot of the quests and mobs are really childish and cartoony
    Stormstout brewery, rabbits and big carrots , i mean OKAY.
    Played a scenario last night and that was really childish aswell.
    Can't wait for another Demon or Burning Legion expansion..now that is WoW.
    Also Chen is really... lame character.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongo4200 View Post
    Would it make the Majority Look stupid if they Tested Your theory on a Live panda........?????
    Make us a vid an get back to us on that one bro.......I wana see you Huggin a Panda all cute an cuddley like.........
    Just because every retard on the planet eats at McDonald does change the fact it is bad for you..........

Yeah, I just got back to you bro. Not a panda, but you get the idea. Childish Pandas is childish.

Deleted
    In the OPs defense I named my first tauren Moomoothecow lol. This was many years ago in vanilla though. Thought it was funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post

Yeah, I just got back to you bro. Not a panda, but you get the idea. Childish Pandas is childish.
    I see you one man with polar bear and raise with a panda attacks.

True story about chimpazee's before Jane Goodall's research people thought that chimps were peaceful, her stay last longer than intended and she was able to witness violence between the chimps. That just goes to show you that public opinion on something rarely reflects the truth.
    Last edited by Stasso; 2012-09-27 at 06:27 PM.