Page 1 of 46
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Random Questions about Canada!

I was answering questions about Canada in the "Ask about America" thread. So why not a Canadian thread...

There are soooo many misconceptions about Canada. I hope to answer some of these here. Ask anything please, just please don't give me some bullshit stereotype because that isn't constructive at all.

Here we go!

Why do you think Quebec wants to be its own nation?

Edit: And more specifically, what are your feelings on the matter, and are you in Quebec or outside of it?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Why do you think Quebec wants to be its own nation?
    A question best left to a Québécois. From my anglophone opinion it seems that they never felt fully integrated into the Canadian experience and feel that they could do better on their own. On the federal level at least the separatist movement has lost a lot of steam.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are there major differences in thought between the Eastern/Central Canadian provinces and the Western ones?
    "Laws should be made of iron, not of pudding."

“A good act does not wash out the bad, nor a bad act the good. Each should have its own reward.”

- King Stannis Baratheon

Hello Fuzzzie! I was wondering about the quality of the healthcare up in Canada.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Willeonge View Post
    Are there major differences in thought between the Eastern/Central Canadian provinces and the Western ones?
    Hmm. Probably. I'm not from the praries (central Canada) so I'm not going to speak for them. As for Western Canada, from what I've experienced. They tend to be more liberal, not unlike their western US counterparts.

Politically speaking, BC=Liberal, Alberta-Manitoba=Conservative, Ontario= Mostly conservative, but because of the population differences Liberal tendencies prevail. Quebec.. It's an enigma to me. They supported the NDP (far left party) this time around. ?? Not going to speak for them. East is usually Liberal as well.

---------- Post added 2012-02-17 at 01:04 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by BatteredRose View Post
    Hello Fuzzzie! I was wondering about the quality of the healthcare up in Canada.
    Quality is world class. The caveat is that sometimes wait times for care can be poor. For example.. a person waiting for a hip transplant can wait for years to get the care they need.

It's also very expensive. I know a lot of outsiders consider it "free healthcare" but we do pay a large, large ammt in tax, plus in my province (ontario) we pay a big premium on top of regular tax.

You asked about quality though. It's just as good as anywhere else.. as far as I've experienced.

10+ Year Old Account
    Media.
    Anytime I picture Canada's forms of entertainment, I think simply the U.S., with maybe a little different opinions on sports.

What I mean is, like your TV stations. I imagine you have the same ones we have for cable, and typically watch all the same shows. Your local stations of course are different, but for cable I see it being ultimately the same. Things like ESPN, Comedy Central, pretty much everything that's not local. How close is this to being right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Media.
    Anytime I picture Canada's forms of entertainment, I think simply the U.S., with maybe a little different opinions on sports.

What I mean is, like your TV stations. I imagine you have the same ones we have for cable, and typically watch all the same shows. Your local stations of course are different, but for cable I see it being ultimately the same. Things like ESPN, Comedy Central, pretty much everything that's not local. How close is this to being right?
    Pretty dead on. Local stations play a lot of American content as well - but by law they have to have 'x' amount of hours of Canadian stuff I suppose. Most of the folks I know don't watch these channels minus the news anyway.
    Undefined animosity is a device of the spineless, the means of a fool.

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember hearing that one of your major news sources/networks was the CBC, which is a nationalized company. Did I hear wrong?
    "Laws should be made of iron, not of pudding."

“A good act does not wash out the bad, nor a bad act the good. Each should have its own reward.”

- King Stannis Baratheon

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    Hmm. Probably. I'm not from the praries (central Canada) so I'm not going to speak for them. As for Western Canada, from what I've experienced. They tend to be more liberal, not unlike their western US counterparts.

Politically speaking, BC=Liberal, Alberta-Manitoba=Conservative, Ontario= Mostly conservative, but because of the population differences Liberal tendencies prevail. Quebec.. It's an enigma to me. They supported the NDP (far left party) this time around. ?? Not going to speak for them. East is usually Liberal as well.
    lol.

I'll handle this one. The east tends to be more Liberal leaning (with the exception of BC of course). Eastern Canada was responsible for electing a Liberal government to a majority for a decade. Even in the last election, eastern canada was responsible for many Liberal (lol)/NDP seats.'

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Media.

pretty much true.

Comedy Central = Comedy Network

Same shows, different commercials.

A lot of shows will find thier way on Canadian Channels. Recently.. lool at "The River" an ABC drama that's being aired on CTV (Canadian Television). Survior (CBC) is aired on Global Television same thing...

There is a law in place that a station (be it radio or TV) must have Canadian content for whatever % of their air time. It's an old rule too, dunno if it counts for import channels since a lot of digital select options from US and Europe dont offer Canadian content. It seems to be a holdout from an age past.

How many Americans know about "Corner Gas" or "Little Mosque on the Prairie"

---------- Post added 2012-02-17 at 01:18 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Willeonge View Post
    I remember hearing that one of your major news sources/networks was the CBC, which is a nationalized company. Did I hear wrong?
    It's true. the CBC is a national (tax funded) agency.

I'm traveling to Canada soon! So I have some questions.

Do you use the same two prong cords as in the US?
    What are some tidbits I need to know, like slang and other words?

I know nothing of "Corner Gas" or "Little Mosque on the Prairie."

I heard your mounties (police) ride mooses.....ok, i didnt hear this, but tell me its true anyway, lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kassander View Post
    lol.

I'll handle this one. The east tends to be more Liberal leaning (with the exception of BC of course). Eastern Canada was responsible for electing a Liberal government to a majority for a decade. Even in the last election, eastern canada was responsible for many Liberal (lol)/NDP seats.'
    lol with the except of BC? wouldn't really call BC east.

@Pendulous - Everything sterilize said is correct i believe the "X" amount is 30% and that goes for all radio stations also.

@Willeonge - yes CBC is a huge media for most canadians and is a crown corporation

15+ Year Old Account
    [QUOTE=Linkedblade;15543228]I'm traveling to Canada soon! So I have some questions.

Do you use the same two prong cords as in the US?[quote]

Yes. It's the same.

What are some tidbits I need to know, like slang and other words?
    Depends where you're going. Be cool and act like yourself. Canadians actually really like different cultures so if you have a sexy accent or something you'll do well

I know nothing of "Corner Gas" or "Little Mosque on the Prairie."
    Eh.. it's not great. It's just an example of Canadian TV.

If you want really good Canadian produced TV... go..

Kids in the Hall
    Trailer Park Boys
    Degrassi

10+ Year Old Account
    Why do you guys say eh all the time?

I keed.

And I used to watch corner gas, it came on here. Whenever it was on would sit and watch it, enjoyed it anyway. Though I've never heard of Little Mosque.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rigoremortis View Post
    I heard your mounties (police) ride mooses.....ok, i didnt hear this, but tell me its true anyway, lol
    Again.. stupid stereotypes are stupid..

---------- Post added 2012-02-17 at 01:27 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by personn5 View Post
    Why do you guys say eh all the time?
    Actually a good question. Only certain people say that phrase. It's just been applied to all Canadians..like someone would apply the southern accent to all Americans.

I have one, but its not a simple one! (or I dont think it is.)

my wife and I are looking into emigrating, not now, but in a handful of years, to either Canada or the USA! so...why Canada? (we are british, both workers (engineer manager and a teacher) with a daughter.

also, are the requirements strict to move there? (I realise this is info I could google, but you never know, somebody might have been through it making my life easier!)

10+ Year Old Account
    What exactly is your relationship to Her Majesty?

So. . .what does "gibbled" mean?