10+ Year Old Account

Wireless router shopping

Guys,

I've always sucked when it comes to networking so I'm hoping you guys can help me out. My wireless router died yesterday. I did have a spare so I was able to get back up and running but now I need a replacement. My problem is I can't make heads or tails out of what half of the stuff is they say these things do. I do understand the difference between b, g, and n but after that is starts to get fuzzy. I'm not looking to spend a whole lot, maybe between $50-$80. I don't do much gaming wirelessly so I don't know if I should be looking for a router that is good for gaming. Occasionally I play some WoW over wireless but everything else I play is over the wire. Any suggestions you guys could make would be appreciated.

Do you torrent a lot.

10+ Year Old Account
    No. I meant to put that in my original post. I don't do any torrenting and very little streaming. Most of my internet traffic is web based and WoW.

Honestly any router will do for your needs. There is a Belkin N600 router with dual 2.4GHz/5Ghz + Gigabit for like $32 on Amazon at the moment. Doubt you need any of the features but at $32 you won't find much cheaper.

You should be able to get an N router for what you want to spend. The letter progression just denotes newer protocols and tech which reach higher speeds with each generation. Think like phone tech (3G 4G etc.). By the way the only difference between an N and a G wireless router in speeds is the N router handles video compression better. Just avoid anything made by D-Link and Linksys. You can get a good Netgear router for what you want to spend. Also, remember your wifi is a bottleneck in your internet connection so no amount of cash spent on a wifi can avoid that fact so don't blow tons of cash on one. To get the full potential of my FIOS connection I'm putting drops in my house.