Arrow Monthly fees wow vs guild wars 2.

Why world of warcraft have a monthly subsribtion fees, but guild wars 2 no?
    How ncsoft can stay afloat?
    I'm not sure, but guild wars business model not like a free-to-play, cause you cant buy some staff for the real money - right?

They've done very similar for GW1, essentially, they make money from the cash shop (Which they do have, for armor and bank upgrades, stuff like that) plus they have expansions fairly continiously.

Generally though, Guild Wars 1 was able to keep afloat, and I think GW2 will at least sell well enough to make it feasible to keep running.

There are many things in the game that are done to make the game cost as little as possible to run.

1. As little support expenditure (GMs, patching) as possible. End game boss is still bugged, we're over month after release for example. Events routinely bug out everywhere.

2. As little post-release development as possible if development is not about something that can be monetized such as new campaigns. Spammers and botters are everywhere, there are no live GMs and any and all support requests have to go through web forms typically getting template answers.

3. Sell in-game gold for real money to players.
    - Make most things in the game purchasable for gold.

4. Implement full zone instancing and harsh bandwidth saving measures even at cost of discomfort to players. You still get killed a lot by opponents you can't see in WvW because server is so frugal with data it won't send you any information on them.

Deleted
    I must admit I am also curious regarding the financial side of GW1/2

Having never played I cannot compare but I assumed that at least with GW1 it was a case of the city areas were MMO style with few if any limits on numbers of players present and when your party stepped out of the city it was alone in it's own instance if the world.

Is this the case?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rusinc View Post
    Why world of warcraft have a monthly subsribtion fees, but guild wars 2 no?
    How ncsoft can stay afloat?
    I'm not sure, but guild wars business model not like a free-to-play, cause you cant buy some staff for the real money - right?
    and here we go again, where's the moderator to close this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by tenaka30 View Post
    I must admit I am also curious regarding the financial side of GW1/2

Having never played I cannot compare but I assumed that at least with GW1 it was a case of the city areas were MMO style with few if any limits on numbers of players present and when your party stepped out of the city it was alone in it's own instance if the world.

Is this the case?
    No. Everything is instanced, including main cities. Each instance has a certain (unknown) limit on number of players. When it fills up, another instance of that zone named "overflow" is created and people are sent to that instance and are queued for main instance automaticaly. There is unlimited (or very high) amount of such instances that can be created, and when room is freed in the main instance, people get offered to join the main instance when their queue number is up.

Quote Originally Posted by Zakkleung View Post
    and here we go again, where's the moderator to close this thread?
    They are already close my previous threat in "General Off-Topic" and recommend post it here.
    So, I post.

Thx for the good answer. If somebody have more idea, post please without flood.

You people are seriously confusing F2P with Buy to Play. Think of it like Diablo . The box sales themselves are enough to keep things running and thats it. Subscriptions are so 2004 and outdated, in my OPINION. They are just pure greed. But then again i'm going to shut up cause i'll probably get flamed.
    Disclaimer: Notice how I said in my OPINION?

quite simply it doesnt take all those sub fee's to run WoW. All that sub money goes into blizz's pockets to fund their other games and activision. Ppl who dont think about it just think subs are the cost per player to maintain the game. Its not, its the fee you pay to access their service. Alot of games out there dont have sub fees and have online play. Yea someone mentioned customer service but its a new game where not every bug/etc is known where blizz has been working on WoW for years and they know most the issues that come out and can be easily solved.

Okay. gonna close this one. We have several threads on the business model of Guild Wars 1 and 2 already in the back pages. Furthermore, there is tons of information online more in-depth and credibly written than Joe Forumposter #13875023 thoughts on the matter.

Lastly. This thread title. Not going places anyone enjoys.

Apologies if this sounds harsh. The topic is an open invitation to trolls, flaming and petty bickering. Really, let's not do this again.

- Fencers