Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lolpve View Post
    I tried all 3 specs while levelling, the only common talents being leeching poison and shadow focus. Some mobs took a while to kill but it was the same for other classes too. Nothing took me below 70%, I pretty much had zero downtime unless I pulled a huge pack. If single monsters are killing you then you're doing something horribly wrong - like not using recup or leeching, or just doing such horrible damage that it takes you 45seconds to kill something.

I actually liked sub best out of all the specs. Assassination was ok but felt energy starved, combat took too long to ramp up - the damage without deep insight or cooldowns is awful. Sub does decent sustained, very nice burst and shadow dance is very useful if you get jumped.
    I found Sub to be more of a pain than Assassination. Enemies tend to die JUST as you're running out of energy as Assassination. Sub, on the other hand, cannot kill anything on a single Cheap Shot, and is therefore forced to switch over to Hemorrhage to do any damage at all. Having to rely on stuns to do damage is sub-optimal for leveling, I'd say.

I just finished leveling my Rogue last night using Combat all the way (85-90). I never had any trouble, never went below 70% unless I pulled four or five mobs. *shrugs*
    (Pretty much only questing greens/blues, too)

Quote Originally Posted by One Eyed Lie View Post
    I am not having any issues, playing assassination for leveling. I think it's definitely a L2P issue really.
    Agreed. As long as you keep SnD and Recup running, you should be fine. I'm able to kill mobs very quickly.

Now, leveling in MoP imo takes too long to begin with but that's another conversation

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Incineration View Post
    I found Sub to be more of a pain than Assassination. Enemies tend to die JUST as you're running out of energy as Assassination. Sub, on the other hand, cannot kill anything on a single Cheap Shot, and is therefore forced to switch over to Hemorrhage to do any damage at all. Having to rely on stuns to do damage is sub-optimal for leveling, I'd say.
    I must have done something wrong then : I leveled completely in assassination spec, and this was my opening rotation (using subterfuge):

Cheap Shot (because of Nerve Strike and Prey On The Weak) -> Ambush -> Garrote (not enough energy for another Ambush) -> Recuperate

By that time I was already low on energy and was fiddling with my fingers, waiting to get enough energy for a mutilate, and to get SnD and rupture in. At the same time the mob was never lower than 65% (especially in the higher regions, it was more close to 75-80%)
    I must say I didn’t worry about reforging after each level up though, and didn’t replace any gear before level 88, but still.
    It often took me 25-30s to get a kill in. Recuperate was running out by the time I got the kill.
    It went smooth in terms of HP though. As long as I didn’t pull 3 mobs, I survived with 85%+ HP left. But god, was I happy when the legendaries procced, or when I saw blindside go up, or vendetta/SB go off CD

It is much slower than levelling a Hunter or Warlock. Take one mob at a time after 88. In Cata and from 85-87 it was ok to pick up two mobs at a time and cleave them down but I would just take one mob at a time at higher levels. Two mobs = more damage outgoing but more incoming too.

If I could do it again I would go Sub: best burst, more healing from Leeching Poison and best energy regen through Energetic Recovery. Take the Deadly Momentum, Cheap Shot and Stealth glyphs. Shadow Focus for the free opener and more burst and Hemo when they turn on you does good damage. Nerve Strike will save you a LOT of damage. Shadowstep is nice to get to kill the next mob to reset SND and Recup, but Prep is good if you want the extra Vanish and Sprint. You will love Shadow Blades when you get it.

It is pretty boring to level a Rogue. From 85-88 Assassination is nice because you can just Rupture mobs and run to the next one and they all just melt. But above that you will take more damage and will not be able to chain pull.
    Last edited by jtstormrage; 2012-10-01 at 01:58 PM.

I made all the way as Sub. Assuming i am already running snd/recup due to deadly momentum:

Premed/Cheap glyphed - Rupture - 3x BS Eviscerate and the mob is usually dead or near death. For biggest mobs KS is your friend and Shadowdance. Abusing of Shadow Blades.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

I stayed mutilate most of the time, but I was running with two spriests. At 88 and 89 we were more spread out, but I stayed mutilate even then.

Deadly Momentum is an amazing glyph for all specs. Glyphed recuperate is quite reasonable. I actually went with elusiveness, not leeching, because I wanted to be able to kite if my health got low, and multi-mob pulls were a bit dangerous.

I would say that rogue is one of the harder classes to level, but it's by no means MUCH harder or anything. I think rogues who are complaining about this aren't really using their toolbox- you have healing and tanking tricks in there!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Verain View Post

I would say that rogue is one of the harder classes to level, but it's by no means MUCH harder or anything. I think rogues who are complaining about this aren't really using their toolbox- you have healing and tanking tricks in there!
    Right, I think this pretty much nails it.

Is it tougher than say, a warrior? Sure. Is it tough? Not in the slightest. Putting my shirt on with my eyes closed is technically tougher than doing it with my eyes open... however it's still not tough. It's a perspective thing.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

You should have no survivability issues, but lots of damage (outside of cds) issues in my experience. Nerve strike, leeching poison and Recup (glyphed with Deadly Momentum) make sure you never fall below 80% health on any mob.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Quote Originally Posted by Wikkr View Post
    Biggest kick in the balls is when when i finally got to lvl 90 and realised the talent to replace throw makes it instant cast.... Why gee that woulda been helpful FIVE LVLS AGO!
    Or a skill that you just get for being a rogue..