Handling Quick AoE

With so many mage-wide AoE damage options available, I'm really lost as to the best order to do things in a hurry as Fire spec. (I'm NOT talking about cleave damage on ~3 adds -- rather, packs of 5+ mobs and especially low health 10+ mobs). There isn't a ton of time to set up dot spreading, and when Combustion is on CD you can't even spread Pyro (unless it's been hardcast) because of not having IB for a few seconds.

What I've tried:

- Flamestriking on pull + Blizzard/Arcane Explosion
    - Frost Bomb on pull > cast Flamestrike > Ice Ward tank to give bomb Shatter benefit > Blizzard > repeat

I've also played around with glyphed Cone of Cold, & glyphed Fire Blast for more control over Frost Bomb burst. Being able to spread Combustion seems powerful provided it's up, procs happen at the right time & mobs live long enough (force Heating up on the pull with Shatter from Ice Ward/Nova + Scorch?).

I might very well be overthinking this, but what is supposed to pack the most punch? Is Fire spec just that bad for burst AoE?

Deleted
    I've been having trouble with this as well. Especially with the level 90 talent choices, they both require some set up before maximizing damage output. If you take the spell power on Evocation talent you run out of mana very quickly as well so it's required between several pulls in a row.

I've been going for Living Bomb, Inferno Blast to spread it, Flamestrike, Arcane Explosion. This is to make sure LB has a chance of expiring and exploding before they die, it might not be optimal. I'm lucky if a lot of smaller trash lasts the duration of an LB...

What I do as Frost (don't know how effective it would be for Fire) is Frost Bomb on pull > cast flamestrike > arcane explosion until frost bomb and flamestrike are off CD.

Quote Originally Posted by Phobicpanda View Post
    What I do as Frost (don't know how effective it would be for Fire) is Frost Bomb on pull > cast flamestrike > arcane explosion until frost bomb and flamestrike are off CD.
    This. And throw in a Frozen Orb for good measure.

Deleted
    As Frost:

Start with the Frostbomb, then INSTANTLY the frostnova from your pet and then Frostorb. Use frostnova from yourself directly after and Cone of Cold with Glyph. Cone hits for 50k if the targets are frozen and the Frostorb crits to 100% on frozen targets. Well, all your frost spells crit on Frozen targets. With a group of 10+ mobs you can do easily 120k DPS as frost, iLVL 460.

Fire:

Hardcast Pyro if you have time, then set Living Bomb/Nether Tempest up and after a second fireball use your Inferno Blast spell to spread the ignite. Then blink to the mobs, freeze them and use cone of cold, on alot mobs it does shittons of damage. 60-80k DPS if you have critluck and the fight is kinda short.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vomitory View Post
    I've been having trouble with this as well. Especially with the level 90 talent choices, they both require some set up before maximizing damage output. If you take the spell power on Evocation talent you run out of mana very quickly as well so it's required between several pulls in a row.

I've been going for Living Bomb, Inferno Blast to spread it, Flamestrike, Arcane Explosion. This is to make sure LB has a chance of expiring and exploding before they die, it might not be optimal. I'm lucky if a lot of smaller trash lasts the duration of an LB...
    LB explodes even when they die, so if it is on the first mob to die it will explode and dmg all the others.

Thanks to everyone for sharing your own experiences. I'll definitely be trying these tips, & I'm sure there are a lot of other mages who appreciate the info too.

im not sure if this is a bug or not but arcane have 30% to generate a charge per target or per cast?? its very annoying when it comes to arcane aoe flamestrike+arcane explosion :/

wish i could weave in some arcane barrages with 30% chance to generate AC per target :P
    http://oce.op.gg/summoner/userName=dw+soul+roc in oceanic now Lol

5172-1206-0622 pokemon FC Lets Battle!!

Deleted
    Place living bomb, spread with inferno blast... flamestrike and then regular fire rotation. Does more dmg then spamming Blizzard or AE.

Glyphed CoC is also an option if you are close enough since as mentioned above it does shitloads of dmg.

Hardcasting Pyro takes too long unless you can start casting before the fight.

Deleted
    I've been playing fire as well and finding my Aoe damage lacking. I think it's more me but these are some nice insights into what i need to be doing.
    I've not tried CoC so I will give that a go and see if I have any more joy.