Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

So "Choose your quest reward", defined by class, spec, or both?

I'm almost certain this was already answered somewhere before, but for the life of me I'm unable to find a clear answer.
    I'm asking this now because there's a single quest reward I want for transmog very early in the Jade Forest, and I don't want to make a mistake.

I do a quest, and turn in the quest as a fury warrior.
    Will I see only DPS plate as possible rewards? (Determined by class/spec combo, the shield won't appear as pickable option)
    Or will I see only warrior gear as possible rewards? (Determined by class, can choose between tank and dps gear)
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Someone with MoP Installed and home can probably confirm. But on Beta there was a vendor like half way thru Jade-Forest that sold the quest gear after unlocking him.

Not sure if he/she is there on live or not.
    "If you are going to do something, including being an alcoholic, don't half-ass it. /Cheers." - Vezrah, 2012

It goes by spec I'm pretty sure.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

If you respec to prot before you hand in the quest you get prot items to choose from.
    Pawzz, ArenaJunkies

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Spec. Which is a bit annoying since I want to choose wether I'd like a tank or dps piece from dungeon quests.
    Oh well.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Oh FFS, I can't believe that really messed up system made it live. I haven't bought MoP yet, and this is one of the major deciding factors for me.

Does this system now also apply to all lower level quests? Because if so, this will mark the end of my WoW days.

Omg how can you give these certain answers without knowing shit? It goes by class and not by spec. As a prot paladin i could always choose spirit int items as quest reward or retribution items. Blizz wants you to gear your OS aswell.
    That guy (>'.')>

WoW Cinematics : WotLK>WoD=MoP>Vanilla=Cataclysm>TBC

10+ Year Old Account
    Spec?
    Really?

Dear god that's beyond stupid. Who the hell levels (in a non-mob-grinding fashion) as prot? Not this dwarf, no sir.

Bah.

So we don't even get to pick which quest reward we want now? That's pretty lame. I liked picking the piece that sold for the most gold when I didn't need anything.
    Priest Warrior
    You are not your role. You are not how much gold you have on your account.
    You are not the mount you ride. You are not the contents of your bank.
    You are not your epic purples. You are not a special and unique snowflake.
    You are the all-grinding, all-farming crap of Azeroth.

10+ Year Old Account
    You turn in the quest. Then theres either a tank helm or a dps helm with certain quests. Some quests now just reward fun items (gasp! i know) but there are some that will ONLY give dps gear. however you still can gear your offspec all this system does is make it so you don't have to see cloth/leather/mail cluttering up your quest rewards.

15+ Year Old Account
    Now this is a feature I had no idea existed. They finally relented and went with relevant quest rewards? I guess it's an improvement; unless the poster above me is wrong and it goes by spec and not class (although that would be a bit limited). I don't know why this was never implemented before.
    For the Alliance!

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepsidedj View Post
    Omg how can you give these certain answers without knowing shit? It goes by class and not by spec. As a prot paladin i could always choose spirit int items as quest reward or retribution items. Blizz wants you to gear your OS aswell.
    Try that in dungeons.

I haven't really paid any attention to quest rewards in Pandaria, but one thing I do remember, when actually giving a choice between (green) items was that both were appropriate dps items. Naturally I was Retribution at the time.

Some quests, like the quest which awards rare weapons in Jade Forest, is free choice. Most of the rest seem to be based on spec, not class.
    Last edited by MasterHamster; 2012-09-25 at 02:19 PM.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Awbee View Post
    Oh FFS, I can't believe that really messed up system made it live. I haven't bought MoP yet, and this is one of the major deciding factors for me.

Does this system now also apply to all lower level quests? Because if so, this will mark the end of my WoW days.
    I just leveled my monk from 80 to 85, and I could still choose from all quest rewards. So it's safe to say this only applies to MoP quests.

On beta my shaman (enh) would ALWAYS get the choice between int mail and agi mail. I doubt it's by spec.

DK here, I've gotten offered rewards both for DPS and for tanking from quests. Some with dodge/exp, some with haste/crit, for example.

So I think it's just based on "preferred equipment type", i.e. mail/leather/plate/cloth

Quote Originally Posted by iggie View Post
    On beta my shaman (enh) would ALWAYS get the choice between int mail and agi mail. I doubt it's by spec.
    Must have started late, or had the armor type sorted by 'role' instead of spec. By the second wave of invites when I was primarily questing, the reward was always by spec, because I remembered having to switch from ret to Holy repeatedly since they only gave a choice of all three specs when a rare quality piece was offered. I'll have to start questing this morning to confirm, but it definitely was like that at one time.

Edit: I also fairly clearly remember either before beta started (Blizzcon maybe?) or early beta one of the devs mentioned that was how it was going to be.
    Last edited by Luneward; 2012-09-25 at 02:40 PM.

Goes by spec, which is kinda dumb to me... Class would've been better to me, only like 3-4 items at max then.

10+ Year Old Account
    Right, sofar I'm counting

6 people saying it's by spec.
    4 people saying it's by class / preferable armor type.

The confusement builds.

shrug, on wowhead when you check a quest with rewards if it rewards "smartly" it allows you to highlight the rewards offered to each class. take that how you will.

It's done by spec. No question about it. I've been running my Holy Paladin as Retribution this morning while leveling because it's faster and every single quest reward so far has been Strength DPS items. No intellect/spirit to be found. No tanking items to be found. Just for kicks, when I get home from work I'll respec Holy and turn a quest in and see what I get. I'm guessing it will be int/spirit plate.

That said, when you get to the monkey village, there's a vendor there that you can buy iLevel appropriate pieces (in Jade Forest it's 372 greens) for about 25 gold per piece. I saw the dude this morning. Think it was a goblin.
    Humans are the only species on the planet smart enough to be this stupid.