Page 1 of 2
LastLast

When does it go from ganking to griefing

Hey there i play on a server with a larger alliance problem to horde in the past this has not been to bad but alot more people went over to alliance at the launch of mop.

I was lucky enough to level past the majority of others out there and not come across many problems but today a friend of mine was ganked at a quest area for about 15mins befor he decided to spirit rez and go to another area, turns out the spirit rez wasn't far away from where he was getting camped one of the two saw him and went and killed him again this continued for awhile (would of gone and helped out but was stuck in que hearing about it in guild chat via remote).

This went on for about another 20mins until he logged off and gave up on leveling for awhile, it's the third time something like this has happened to one of my guild mates and I am wondering when does ganking stop and greifing start a lot of people have been camped for upwards of 20mins or until others have gone and killed them and had to babysit them which is a bit over the top.

I really do want to know when is enough a few people have already faction changed just for the sake of being able to quest and it's starting to become more of an issue with group of 90's camping areas like grookin hill (by group there was 20 people there inside grookin hill with a few healers killing everyone and taking the hits from the mobs there)

I'm not against pvp heck thats why i play on a pvp server world pvp can be fun, but hell i know when to stop killing someone that doesn't fight back at all just isn't fun.
    I'm a little ninja, short and stout I take all the loot and I hearthstone out All the guys on teamspeak scream and shout I'm the warrior in full devout.

I believe that Blizzard's stance on PvP servers is that it's only griefing when it happens for long periods of time over many days. Until the game becomes completely unplayable for an extended period of time (meaning more then just an hour or so) by the same person, it's not griefing, just being an ass.

When you do it more than once and you started it both times, imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Quote Originally Posted by Thetruth1400 View Post
    I believe that Blizzard's stance on PvP servers is that it's only griefing when it happens for long periods of time over many days. Until the game becomes completely unplayable for an extended period of time (meaning more then just an hour or so) by the same person, it's not griefing, just being an ass.
    That is realy bad of blizzard if thats there stance i mean even having the 2min res timer is stupid when getting ganked over and over again i mean it is frustrating especialy when you've had to spend 3 hours in a que like most of the people i know are at the moment 3hours+. even i am starting to have this happen the population is just stupid blizzard needs to bleed off alliance on the realm as it is
    I'm a little ninja, short and stout I take all the loot and I hearthstone out All the guys on teamspeak scream and shout I'm the warrior in full devout.

Deleted
    I don't see a problem with ganking someone else, like I said in another thread like this, the problem starts when the ganker starts camping and stops the ganked from enjoying the game and having fun, that's when it's over the limit, and it's sad that a lot of people don't see that or just don't care...

Greifing is when you repeatedly train mobs to other players (of the same faction) and causing them to die multiple times or preventing some form of game play. My friend and I were suspended for several days for purposely standing on top of vendors during the TBC Sunwell period. It was apparently against the rules, especially on a PvP servers where the other faction would accident auto attack players trying to talk to vendors.

If I kill someone who doesn't fight back or is really not at my skill level I usually just leave him alone. Attacking someone with res sickness is always griefing in my books (Unless it's an obvious bot then Ill keep killing him until he bugs )

Quote Originally Posted by Ulaenyth View Post
    That is realy bad of blizzard if thats there stance i mean even having the 2min res timer is stupid when getting ganked over and over again i mean it is frustrating especialy when you've had to spend 3 hours in a que like most of the people i know are at the moment 3hours+. even i am starting to have this happen the population is just stupid blizzard needs to bleed off alliance on the realm as it is
    take a spirit res. use an invis pot and run far enough away so you can mount up if they are on the gy itself. log off and do something else until they get bored of camping an offline corpse.

if you play on a pvp server there are some things you have to accept. being camped by assholes is one of those things.

why don't you call some friends and kill them and camp their corpses? thats what i do if i find myself out numbered and i really want to quest.
    " I need a sec, my wrists hurt from spamming slam so hard. Playing cleave vs cleave is tough stuff guys"

Deleted
    this is why blizz needs to make yet another type of server : ''hardcore pvp'' where true pvpers can finally enjoy the joys of a savage world where the strong ones decide who lives and who doesn't and if they want to camp this particular zone all day,it's in their power!

Basically when it goes from F this dude to omg rage log out

Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    I don't see a problem with ganking someone else, like I said in another thread like this, the problem starts when the ganker starts camping and stops the ganked from enjoying the game and having fun, that's when it's over the limit, and it's sad that a lot of people don't see that or just don't care...
    Prety much this. Ganking is one thing, and it can be fun, but if your camping their corpse and there not fighting back I would call it griefing. Some people are just A holes, and on a pvp server they can deside to do this kind of dumb shit. Personally I would just ask some of my pvp buddies to come help, but not everyone has that option. Not much else you can do besides log for a bit

Switch characters.
    Go to a town.
    Level in instances or pvp.
    Go to a pve server where you belong and you won't be bothered.
    PVP on a pvp server, duh - who would have thought?

Deleted
    I don't get it. Why gank if griefing was not your purpose ?! Separating the two makes no sense. You gank BECAUSE you want to piss the other guy off because he's playing the other faction and you have found out, from personal experience in most cases, that most players of the other faction deserve every bit of drama coming their way.

You say you gank but not to grief ?! Then how is an enemy player different for you than a mob ?!

Quote Originally Posted by Temporary Poster View Post
    I don't get it. Why gank if griefing was not your purpose ?! Separating the two makes no sense. You gank BECAUSE you want to piss the other guy off because he's playing the other faction and you have found out, from personal experience in most cases, that most players of the other faction deserve every bit of drama coming their way.

You say you gank but not to grief ?! Then how is an enemy player different for you than a mob ?!
    Yep. It's PLAYER VERSUS PLAYER - not character versus character. The object of PVP is to beat the other player, not just murder his character's pixels. Once he loses his ****, that's when you've won.

Its a pvp server. By playing on a pvp realm you should accept the fact that there will be players who will take advantage of the pvp rule. You can,QQ all you like but it wont make a difference. Accept the fact people on the internet will be complete butt holes because they can remain anonymous.

This is what people do on PvP servers. You signed up for it the moment you picked a PvP server... sorry to say

10+ Year Old Account
    Fortunately I haven't been really camped while lvling my monk. I have been ganked by several 85-90s though.

While I agree it's frustrating at times, it also keeps the game interested. At least for me it does.

The real fun starts when you manage to outkite/kill the 85-90 player by natural causes.

I managed to annoy a Warrior to the point he flew all the way up to kill me. After that he fell to his death and laughed at him so hard

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thetruth1400 View Post
    Not true. If there is a PvP solution to the problem they won't take any action at all and all griefing related to player killing has a PvP solution ie, calling for help, change area, play an alt and so on. You can only get griefed if you let yourself be griefed and I have never been griefed in my 7 years of wow because there is always something I could do to avoid it. In my experience people who complain about griefeing are generally whining and should read the PvP disclaimer again.

I have griefed many people, at times for an entire day or so and the only thing that happened was the one time a GM asked me nicely to move on but he also said he couldn't make me as it wasn't against the rules. He just asked me to change ganking area for a while. Oh the memories of Isle of Quel'Danas bring sweet memories

Sometimes back in Vanilla me and a friend on our rogues also prevented any alliance from entering Everlok for several hours, great fun that too.
    Last edited by mmoc6cf872d270; 2012-10-01 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulaenyth View Post
    then get off the pvp server