Poll: Poll

Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Which race has the saddest background?

Just curious on which race you think has endured the worst tragedies.
    "The Naxxramas Warrior. Eternal slayer of the Orcs."

I have to say forsaken, the undead plague, culling of stratholme and so on.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Personally, I think it's the Pandaren, during their earliest years they were slaves to the merciless Mogu and were tortured & worked to death, after barely winning their war for freedom they immediately got attacked by endless swarms of Mantid and continue to have to deal with their attacks every few decades, they had to break their homeland off the Kalimdor mainland after the Night Elves went insane, resulting in them being forced to maintain an emotionally balanced lifestyle or risk being destroyed by their own emotions via the Sha.

10+ Year Old Account
    While (almost) all races have had tragedies in the past I'll have to go with the Draenei. Being forced to leave your HOME planet has to be terrible.

The Forsaken could also have the saddest background. I mean.. being killed and risen as Undead in the eyes of your own family? Just take a look at Lillian Voss... poor girl :/

Quote Originally Posted by Courierrawr View Post
    Personally, I think it's the Pandaren, during their earliest years they were slaves to the merciless Mogu and were tortured & worked to death, after barely winning their war for freedom they immediately got attacked by endless swarms of Mantid and continue to have to deal with their attacks every few decades, they had to break their homeland off the Kalimdor mainland after the Night Elves went insane, resulting in them being forced to maintain an emotionally balanced lifestyle or risk being destroyed by their own emotions via the Sha.
    Wow.. I did not know this . I haven't read that much lore about the Pandaren yet. Heck, I never knew they were present on Kalimdor before (I know there were SOME pandaren hidden on the continents, but not an entire population).

The background of the Pandaren seems to be a sad one. But I still have to go with Draenei > Undead > Pandaren in my own opinion :P
    Last edited by Terahertz; 2012-09-30 at 06:12 AM.

Draenei. 90% of their race got killed and turned into a highway.
    "Tell them only that the Lich King is dead, and that World of Warcraft died with him."

10+ Year Old Account
    Orc's. If it wasn't for the Draenei the orcs would still be a peaceful shaman culture. It is only because the legion was looking for the Draenei they found the orcs. They would have never found Azeroth to stop them fighting each other once they were corrupted for the legion. Also the Lich King (Who was an orc) would have never been sent to Azeroth to make the scourge and the forsaken would have never been made.
    Aye mate

Draenei. Chased across the universe by Sargeras.

Thought they found a good home on Draenor then, well, Orcs happened.
    "Rise of the Horde" is a very, very sad book.
    Help control the population. Have your blood elf spayed or neutered.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    Orc's. If it wasn't for the Draenei the orcs would still be a peaceful shaman culture. It is only because the legion was looking for the Draenei they found the orcs. They would have never found Azeroth to stop them fighting each other once they were corrupted for the legion. Also the Lich King (Who was an orc) would have never been sent to Azeroth to make the scourge and the forsaken would have never been made.
    well the orcs did sell thier freedom of will to the legion for power directly leading to the human sob story and making the dranei story a good deal worse
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Orc's. If it wasn't for the Draenei the orcs would still be a peaceful shaman culture.
    Peaceful is not a very accurate description of the Orcs even before they gave in to Sargeras.
    They weren't bloodthirsty villains, but... not peaceful.

I think that in terms of enduring the most the Orcs take the crown. Don't forget that these guys were slaughtering themselves and on the verge of a self-caused extinction if it weren't for Medivh. They went from peaceful hunters to bloodthirsty warriors in a matter of years due to Mannoroth, got thrown out of their homeland into a swamp and saw their homeland get completely destroyed. They were also enslaved by Humans after the second war.

Quite shocked at the low amount of polls for Blood - High Elves.
    "The Naxxramas Warrior. Eternal slayer of the Orcs."

Finally a poll the mighty Draenei are leading unlike

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...st-badass-race

The bias against the toughest race in wow is astounding.

Quote Originally Posted by Terahertz View Post
    Wow.. I did not know this . I haven't read that much lore about the Pandaren yet. Heck, I never knew they were present on Kalimdor before (I know there were SOME pandaren hidden on the continents, but not an entire population).

The background of the Pandaren seems to be a sad one. But I still have to go with Draenei > Undead > Pandaren in my own opinion :P
    Yep, Pandaria was originally part of Kalimdor before the sundering, the last Pandaren emperor broke the continent off after the Night Elves invited the Burning Legion to Azeroth, the Pandaren had contact with the Night Elves long before they broke off.

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenBeard View Post
    I think that in terms of enduring the most the Orcs take the crown. Don't forget that these guys were slaughtering themselves and on the verge of a self-caused extinction if it weren't for Medivh. They went from peaceful hunters to bloodthirsty warriors in a matter of years due to Mannoroth, got thrown out of their homeland into a swamp and saw their homeland get completely destroyed. They were also enslaved by Humans after the second war.
    After reading Rise of the Horde, I don't really feel much sympathy for the Orcs. They remind me too much of religious fanatics. So many points in that book were of Durotan or other Orcs pondering things like "Well, those blue skin Draenei have been really friendly to us, and they even saved my life. But the head shaman wants me to kill them, so... OK."

Or...

"I know this is a really, really bad thing to do, but if I don't do it my tribe might be endangered, so... OK."

They really don't live up to that whole "honor" thing when the going gets tough. And they just sorta ease into the atrocities all the time...

Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    well the orcs did sell thier freedom of will to the legion for power directly leading to the human sob story and making the dranei story a good deal worse
    One orc did, for the others it was more complex than that. Don't forget that they were then believing the Draenei were a threat. Some of them didn't drink at all, most notably Orgrim.

---------- Post added 2012-09-30 at 06:28 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by BrerBear View Post
    After reading Rise of the Horde, I don't really feel much sympathy for the Orcs. They remind me too much of religious fanatics. So many points in that book were of Durotan or other Orcs pondering things like "Well, those blue skin Draenei have been really friendly to us, and they even saved my life. But the head shaman wants me to kill them, so... OK."

Or...

"I know this is a really, really bad thing to do, but if I don't do it my tribe might be endangered, so... OK."

They really don't live up to that whole "honor" thing when the going gets tough. And they just sorta ease into the atrocities all the time...
    While I agree (I think the Orcs were at their worst in the second war, their actions were very difficult to justify other than breing just plain evil and greedy), but I still think that from their PoV it was the most tragic story.

I absolutely hate this argument. You want to know what would have happened when the Legion inevitably found Draenor and there were no Draenei? There would be no Orcs left. Beyond that, much of the Orc's tragedy was caused by their own darker emotions.

It's really hard to have any get any empathy from me after you built a highway out of the bones of men, woman, and children.
    By Blood and Honor We Serve!

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably the Draenei. Blood Elves coming in second. Then Humans.

Draenei just seems to be a race that are constantly beset by massacres and other such acts against them despite the fact they are one of the most morally good races in the WoW universe.
    Some were killed when most of their brethren sided with the Burning Legion, they were further massacred and betrayed by the Orcs and their dead used to construct a highway, some left alive were mutated by the Orcs magic and then enslaved or deteriorated further and finally those that tried to escape along with Velen crash landed on a new planet further killing many while having Kael's Elves hot on their heels. They've bee through a lot .

Poor squidies .

Dude... Draenei... no contest.

I mean, to get your race wiped out and taken over by the burning legion is one thing...

...but to then settle down on a planet and make peace with the natives, to then have those natives turn on you - slaughter you to nothing and pave their roads with your bones...

Good god... even Ghandi would take up a gun after that noise! >_<

Forsaken are a second, but pretty distant when you realize that they got their comuppance against the Lich King. Not once - but twice. The first time being liberated and making themselves a new home... the second time in Wrath.

Draenei - 50 000 years of awfulness.

Refugees from their home, leaving behind the rest of their kind who'd joined the Burning Legion, then chased by the Legion for tens of thousands of years and are nearly wiped out repeatedly, find a nice planet and settle in then sudden genocide, escape and their ship is sabotaged and crashes leaving ~1000 of their people left having to start over again. With the exception of the period they spent on Draenor before the Orcs lost it their story seems to be basically unrelenting misery for an exceptionally long time.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have voted for the Forsaken. They were killed by the plague or killed by their own Prince (or even their own family members), got raised into undeath and forced to massacre countless people (some of them they may have known and even loved). Now, they are free but they still remember their lives as members of the Scourge. They do not feel emotions anymore, at least not the good ones, they cannot enjoy their meals or drinks, they can't love. The surviving members of their families shun them or fear them. Most of them are insane or bordering insanity. They "live" but without anything that makes life interesting, without any other purpose than survival.

Draenei got decimated, yes, but the remaining ones can still grow families and thrive. They still can enjoy life. Not so with the Forsaken.