Thread: Regarding gems

Regarding gems

I've seen several "guides" saying to do different things with gems. One says to use hybrid off-stat gems (exp/hit) in red slots instead of pure int. Is this correct? I know you get double secondary stats when compared to int, but you can reforge for secondary stats where as there's nowhere else to get int from but gems/enchants. It seems counter-intuitive to me.

p.s. If it matters, I'm asking for fire spec.

10+ Year Old Account
    Intellect in red slots, Intellect/Crit in yellow slots and Intellect/Hit in blue slots if you need hit, otherwise Intellect. That's how I see it at least.

int is still more important than hit so yeah.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

It's not as simple as that now though, which is the whole point of the new gems.

As the op says, you get double secondary stats. So in Cataclysm it was pretty obvious - dropping 20 int in exchange for 20 secondary stats in a red socket was simply not done as int was always more preferable point for point. But now it's 160int on a pure red verses 80 int and 160 secondary on a hybrid.

Is 1 int always stronger than 2 of a secondary?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyQuest View Post
    It's not as simple as that now though, which is the whole point of the new gems.

As the op says, you get double secondary stats. So in Cataclysm it was pretty obvious - dropping 20 int in exchange for 20 secondary stats in a red socket was simply not done as int was always more preferable point for point. But now it's 160int on a pure red verses 80 int and 160 secondary on a hybrid.

Is 1 int always stronger than 2 of a secondary?
    This is BEFORE being hit cap, which is 15% - Then 160 hit would trump 80 int. However, you have to remember you can reforge (On for instance a Int/Stam/Hit/Mastery item) the Mastery to Expertise, and thus gain 2x hit stats. This makes it alot easier to get hit cap, and therefore gemming it would be stupid (A full gem specificly), then you can focus on getting your Int up with gems.

If the stat weights I'm getting from simcraft are correct, then right now for me gemming expertise in reds is better than int. Int is 3.04 and hit is 1.66 with my current gear. It's really close though, so the difference is probably really small either way.

Its a weird how it works, you shouldnt compare hit or exp to stat weight of int, but the stat you would reforge to get hit or exp. Same goes with all other stats and gems.

A small example:

Hit has stat weight of 4
    Int has 5
    mastery has 3

Situation, you are missing 320 hit rating. And there is a red slot that you are considering to gem as exp. The choice is 320 mastery vs 160 int. And if the stat weights would be what is up there, you should gem exp to that slot.

Though this only works as a rule AFTER you have passed the point that you dont need to sacrifice int at all to get hit capped, before this point, hit and int are directly comparable.