Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How much should I value spirit right now?

I'm new to resto druid. I used to play a resto shaman and was very good at it but needless to say, it's a very different playstyle. I'm starting raiding tuesday and right now i'm just doing 5 mans (454 ilevel) I do go oom sometimes, mostly in moshugan or whatever that place is called with the trash that hits ridiculously hard and the sha of violence. I have 4400 spirit but my trinkets are the thousand pickled egg and price of progress but I also just picked up the empty fruit barrel that has tons of static spirit on it. So how much spirit should I be aiming for? I have a pretty aggressive healing style in general but like I said, new to druid.

Deleted
    4400 Spirit sounds low. Do you reforge out of spirit or have many items without it? I have 452 equipped (still wearing some bad pieces and several items without spirit) and I have 7,2k with my trinket stacked. I don't know how much spirit you need to have, but personally I'm getting as much as I can.

Regen is very fight dependent and with out the raids out yet its a bit difficult to set a ball park figure. For me, I'm aiming for as much spirit as possible while pushing haste break points, every piece should have spirit as its secondary stat and I'm also aiming for static int trinkets with good regen procs like price of progress + darkmoon card/vial of ichorous blood. I won't be reforging off spirit for additional mastery until I get a feel for the fight and know what the bare minimum I can get away with is and I'd advise all other druids to do the same.

Also the brewfest trinket is crap and not worth it, you'd have higher output by using a static int trinket with on use/proc spirit because you'll be able to rejuv a lot more.

TL;DR - Spirit second most important stat after Int, use static int trinkets with on use/proc spirit, aim for closest haste break point your gear allows, reforge off spirit after raids are out and you understand fights better.

Are you having mana issues? If so get more spirit. The amount of spirit/regen needed is always relative to the player and the ppl they are healing. This is one of the numbers that there isn't a fixed answer for.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

I have 6050 spirit, and On use 4241 spirit via trinket, and I am in a good spot for heroics. 462ilvl. Some points in heroics the tanks I run with like to pull the whole room, which zaps the mana pool fairly fast, but that is more my spell choice of healing.

I am going in Spirit heavy come Tuesday and will adjust from there.

I went for the 3500ish Haste break point, spirit looked shady when i went for the 5k+ haste points

Quote Originally Posted by jamesington View Post
    Regen is very fight dependent and with out the raids out yet its a bit difficult to set a ball park figure. For me, I'm aiming for as much spirit as possible while pushing haste break points, every piece should have spirit as its secondary stat and I'm also aiming for static int trinkets with good regen procs like price of progress + darkmoon card/vial of ichorous blood. I won't be reforging off spirit for additional mastery until I get a feel for the fight and know what the bare minimum I can get away with is and I'd advise all other druids to do the same.

Also the brewfest trinket is crap and not worth it, you'd have higher output by using a static int trinket with on use/proc spirit because you'll be able to rejuv a lot more.

TL;DR - Spirit second most important stat after Int, use static int trinkets with on use/proc spirit, aim for closest haste break point your gear allows, reforge off spirit after raids are out and you understand fights better.
    Don't have another static int trinket besides the egg right now. Just the static spirit one.

As much as you need to, basically. If you're having mana issues, but not throughput issues, get more Spirit. If you're having throughput issues, but not mana issues, get rid of some Spirit.

Deleted
    Right now, you need a lot of Spirit. Like, all of it.

For my first raid yesterday I had almost exactly 10k spirit (with food, flask, HoU stacked to 880). I guess I could have used twice as much, I ran oom so fast. Although I did achieve an 8 minute sustained 47k HPS on Stone Guards. World of Logs

So, yes, you want all the spirit you can get. And you definitely want two regen trinkets. If you don't have two yet, just use Heart of Unliving. Just don't use the Brewfest trinket.
    Last edited by Thalur; 2012-10-05 at 11:43 AM.

Deleted
    I have 8382 unbuffed spirit right now, plus Price of Progress and Vial of Ichorous Blood. So far in MSV, the troll (can't remember his name) and spirit kings is really easy on the mana, while Feng and stone guards can be tough, and Elegon is really hard on mana. I would advise you to get much, much more spirit. Get spirit until you feel you can comfortably heal all fights without risking running oom in the middle of it.
    Last edited by mmoc310a7931c1; 2012-10-05 at 01:03 PM.

Feng and Stoneguard are rough on mana. I only have 7k spirit (need more!) and even with mana tide, mana hymn, innverating and potion of focus, mana can get real tight at some points.

Obviously the better your raid is with mechanics, the less damage you'll have to heal, but even the unavoidable damage is fairly significant.

My advice, more spirit! aim for 8-10k range at least, nothing sucks worse than getting to like 20% and ur oom.

10+ Year Old Account
    People are overvaluing spi too much this time around. It's not as good early expansion as it used to be because our other secondary stats are so strong and the change to mana pools and regen.

As Hamlet said: Over the course of a 3-minute period, you get to cast one extra Rejuv (9600 mana) for roughly every 480 Spirit added. Putting those 480 into Mastery instead would make all your heals 1% stronger.

Before, early expac you could stack a ton of spi and it ended up being a lot better. As you got better gear your int went up and the value of spi went down, besides having more stats in general which lead to more healing. That's not the case anymore.

Exodus' resto druid for 25s is running 7.7k with Barrel and Price. Consider he plays with top notch raiders.

8-8.5 seems to be the general consensus on the amount of Spi you should need. This is considering you know how to blow use your CDs properly and understand you own mana usage, you have synergy with your other healers, your raid isn't just tunnel vision keyboard turning into fire, and you as a raid understand the general idea of encounters. If you stack a ton of Spi being prepared for fights to be messy because it's new you will be spending more mana trying to make up for your heals not being strong enough than you would have if you had just not stacked for regen.

Basically, take a lot more Spi than you normally would, but don't go overboard or you're screwing yourself. Spi is probably the strongest secondary stat right now to a point, but it's not stronger than int and if your heals can't keep people up all the mana in the world isn't going to help you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Myrrar View Post
    People are overvaluing spi too much this time around. It's not as good early expansion as it used to be because our other secondary stats are so strong and the change to mana pools and regen.

As Hamlet said: Over the course of a 3-minute period, you get to cast one extra Rejuv (9600 mana) for roughly every 480 Spirit added. Putting those 480 into Mastery instead would make all your heals 1% stronger.

Before, early expac you could stack a ton of spi and it ended up being a lot better. As you got better gear your int went up and the value of spi went down, besides having more stats in general which lead to more healing. That's not the case anymore.

Exodus' resto druid for 25s is running 7.7k with Barrel and Price. Consider he plays with top notch raiders.

8-8.5 seems to be the general consensus on the amount of Spi you should need. This is considering you know how to blow use your CDs properly and understand you own mana usage, you have synergy with your other healers, your raid isn't just tunnel vision keyboard turning into fire, and you as a raid understand the general idea of encounters. If you stack a ton of Spi being prepared for fights to be messy because it's new you will be spending more mana trying to make up for your heals not being strong enough than you would have if you had just not stacked for regen.

Basically, take a lot more Spi than you normally would, but don't go overboard or you're screwing yourself. Spi is probably the strongest secondary stat right now to a point, but it's not stronger than int and if your heals can't keep people up all the mana in the world isn't going to help you.
    I had first raid yesterday, upto elagon. I 2 manned healed this far with a paladin. I'm running with 7.5k spirit and although had some issues when people were careless it generally went ok. If people don't do stupid shit and you use CDs when needed I thought my regen was about right.

I'd prober lay advise people to start around 7.5k and see how that feels for them.

10+ Year Old Account
    get as much spirit as you can, with static mana pools spirit is incredibly good

Have around 8k, you still might have some problems at some fights but it is good enough.

Deleted
    I'm rolling with around 8k spirit and 2 regen trinkets and mana is pretty tight.

And try using mushroom blooms more often. Having revitalize and replenishment removed from the game means we should change our healing rotation a lot. I am almost using all of my freetime putting some mushrooms down(still hope they healed better). I am now around 9k spirit(with flask) and still can't cast rejuvenation as much as I want.. Rejuv heals for a ton so I am really looking forward to getting 2 piece.

you only should be needing around 8k spirit. Intellect > spirit, especially for the trinkets. If you feel like you're OOMING a lot, you should rethink about your healing style, tell your mates stop taking unnecessary damages, or your other healers need to do better job

Deleted
    I'm running about 12k spirit with flask and I'm loving my mana control right now. Honestly, it doesn't feel like my throughput is suffering at all.

It may not feel like it, but having 12k spirit means you've sacrificed heavily. I'm able to clear all 6 encounters with 7100 spirit.