Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    While I also think that finishing the fight with 1/3 mana is a waste of other stats, finishing the fight with 40k mana is also risky. Going oom will not help your raid at all.. It will be a wipe. I think you should have some mana left after every fight. Something around 8-9 k should be enough. 12k seems like a lot of spirit(if you have enough int you won't need to cast as much therefore not go oom.)

Deleted
    If you go above and beyond with mana, you will lose a lot of haste, mastery and spellpower. Haste is important because our hots scale with it, you should with blue heroics sit on at least 3043 to reach the first rejuvenation and wild growth break points. Mastery will be active the entire fight and will boost your direct healing and hot. Spellpower means your spells will simply heal for more, but at the same time you will be able to take everything with a little more ease. But thumb rule goes, get your spirit to where you are comftable healing. Then you should tweak from there. Mostly down, reforge, gem and enchant wise as new incoming epic loot will have higher base spirit, which means you can start aiming for a new haste breakpoint or throw some more points into mastery.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post
    It may not feel like it, but having 12k spirit means you've sacrificed heavily. I'm able to clear all 6 encounters with 7100 spirit.
    True enough, but I've tried the other route aswell and for me, it just doesn't feel as good as having a lot of reliable regen. Yes, you CAN clear the entire raid with less, many have. But I personally feel that I get a lot more out of having more spirit. Especially now in the early progression game, where mechanics aren't as familiar as they are after some time of raiding.

In a perfect raid setting, where everyone does their part perfectly and avoid 100% of all the avoidable damage, I end up with more spirit than I need to have. But that's a utopian scenario, at the very least right now. Having a lot of spirit gives me the leeway of being able to squeeze out a lot of throughput (because I am) while still having a lot of regen.

Although I do expect to start going to route of more throughput when the gear starts getting a bit better and we're getting more and more used to mechanics.
    Last edited by mmoccdcfc5f8d6; 2012-10-13 at 12:15 PM.

Going heavy regen means you give up throughput. This is especially true with druids as our spells by their nature throttle our output. The main spell that throttles us is Wild Growth due to it's cooldown. Rejuvenation blanketing is excellent if you can afford it, but it still takes time to get rolling, and, at this gear level, is impossible. We don't have multi target abilities with no cooldown, not to mention multi target abilities with non-healing over time components. The only way a druid can bring the pain quickly is to have super strong heals at the expense of regen. Even then we are a poor substitute for almost any other class when it comes to healing on demand. Druid is a medium pace healer, a stabilizer. Never burst, never stopping.

10+ Year Old Account
    Affinitii is raiding on his priest, he didn't even clear reg modes on his druid. The druid that cleared all reg modes and has been sat for HMs is 7.8
    Bigfish is running 9k, not 12, and due to doing top end hardmodes.

You may really need to read over Hamlets post again. It's like saying 'I'm going to raid with no weapon just because I can'. Control your mana better, have a higher hmp, effective throughput, and raid stability. Don't gimp yourself out of stubbornness, that hurts your raid, not just your pride. =/

Acrol primarily dps's atm, he was gemmed spirit when he healed normal modes, now gemmed as moonkin.

I'm maining my monk, Affinichi. The gear on my druid and priest are meh at best, and are not a great example of what I would do if it was my main -- but I'd still go full spirit on both

I raid 10 man heroic.

On Stone Guard, you're probably better off stacking throughput since the tiles give you a % of spirit. I was fine with about 7.9k spirit and the rest into int / mastery. I went into Feng with the same values and I healed quite efficiently (no RJ spam and even Nourish usage was controlled) but I went oom around 25% of the boss HP. I switched to a Spirit flask and food in a pinch which put me around 9.5k Spirit and was able to last the fight.

How much you should value spirit really comes down to the encounter and your class set up. I will be going back to a throughput based approach on Gara'jal HC because of how the fight works.
    Ashr

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Myrrar View Post
    You may really need to read over Hamlets post again. It's like saying 'I'm going to raid with no weapon just because I can'. Control your mana better, have a higher hmp, effective throughput, and raid stability. Don't gimp yourself out of stubbornness, that hurts your raid, not just your pride. =/
    I hear what you're saying, and it's not like I'm saying "I'm going spirit because I WANT to, fuck the rest", not at all. This is down to a lot of testing and evaluating how we deal with the fights, me and my co-healers. I'm pretty much tweaking my regen/throughput by a little bit every single day right now.

For us, the way we play it out right now and how me and my healers are interacting with eachother and the raid, a heavy regen setup works very well for me, personally - and we're killing bosses so something must be working, right?

Besides, as Affiniti says, and having a look at and chat with some of the Method boys, I'm quite convinced I'm in a pretty good seat. Heavy spirit focus when you KNOW how and when to squeeze out throughput, makes for a really good druid healer.

(With that said, there are bosses where sheer throughput trumps regen and it's not like I'm running regen setups 24/7. I'm not a shitty healer, damnit ^^)

Quote Originally Posted by Ixuzcc View Post
    I hear what you're saying, and it's not like I'm saying "I'm going spirit because I WANT to, fuck the rest", not at all. This is down to a lot of testing and evaluating how we deal with the fights, me and my co-healers. I'm pretty much tweaking my regen/throughput by a little bit every single day right now.

For us, the way we play it out right now and how me and my healers are interacting with eachother and the raid, a heavy regen setup works very well for me, personally - and we're killing bosses so something must be working, right?

Besides, as Affiniti says, and having a look at and chat with some of the Method boys, I'm quite convinced I'm in a pretty good seat. Heavy spirit focus when you KNOW how and when to squeeze out throughput, makes for a really good druid healer.

(With that said, there are bosses where sheer throughput trumps regen and it's not like I'm running regen setups 24/7. I'm not a shitty healer, damnit ^^)
    You have a good approach then Method's resto druid Owld has 10778 Spirit unbuffed right now, even enchanting Spirit on chest + 2 regen trinkets. As long as healers put some time into understanding the stats and tweaking them to their specific requirements, it's all fine. I still think 12k is slightly overkill though :P

Many other healers are blindly stacking Spirit and that isn't a very good idea.
    Ashr