Poll: Do you think America could be taken over by a hostile force?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by zeophor View Post
    It's not the 18th century anymore. Your guns are no deterrent against a modern military with modern hardware.
    You're pretty naive if you believe that. If Iraq and Afghanistan have taught us anything, it's that an infinitely outgunned domestic force can utilize guerrilla warfare tactics to make life hell for a technologically superior enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    People do some crazy things when their homeland is invaded. Military occupations are typically NOT nice regardless of what country is doing it. It's also really dangerous to underestimate the effectiveness of partisans.

I would like to point out also that the US is huge. I mean really, bloody big! With a shit ton of people! I would imagine trying to occupy the United States would be like juggling knives. Sure you can get three going, but when a fourth is introduced you drop one and it cuts you.
    I know that, but I don't think one can compare the average joe in the US to middle eastern insurgents, those guys are either brainwashed/radicals or extremely poor/desperate.

I don't think you would see many americans going out shooting at a military force for a few bucks for example, which isn't all that uncommon in Afghanistan, where it might be the only source of income a family father might have, it's his last chance of bringing home the bacon so to speak.

I'm of the opinion that people who live in comfort becomes more docile/obidient/whatever.

I'm sure there would be armed resistance but would the average joe in a western country be ready to go to same extremes as a middle eastern insurgent? I doubt it.

All these countries that suffers from civil unrest/civil war/terrorism, are piss poor. Poverty(and in extension desperation) man, that is what brings out the beast in people.
    Last edited by Jackmoves; 2012-10-03 at 06:25 PM.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Pretty sure Perot meant like a financial / business - oriented hostile takeover. He a very astute businessman and everything he says is viewed through his lens of dollars and cents. The man's pretty saavy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vuljatar View Post
    You're pretty naive if you believe that. If Iraq and Afghanistan have taught us anything, it's that an infinitely outgunned domestic force can utilize guerrilla warfare tactics to make life hell for a technologically superior enemy.
    And yet the US still rolled over the country, replaced their government, and has been nation-building there for the last 10 years. The insurgents you're talking about who take pot-shots at our troops haven't exactly been able to drive the US out, or to overthrow the government raised after their country was occupied.

I think you're naive if you think that a few Americans with their guns would be able to protect our way of life against a modern military. At best, they could mount an insurgency campaign that wouldn't really affect realities on the ground, and if the invading country didn't have the forbearance that NATO troops have, the retaliations for insurgencies could be immense.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    And yet the US still rolled over the country, replaced their government, and has been nation-building there for the last 10 years. The insurgents you're talking about who take pot-shots at our troops haven't exactly been able to drive the US out, or to overthrow the government raised after their country was occupied.
    That's because of the numbers. There aren't enough of them to get the ball rolling. (Also, we actually have a real military that would come into play)

I think you're naive if you think that a few Americans with their guns would be able to protect our way of life against a modern military. At best, they could mount an insurgency campaign that wouldn't really affect realities on the ground, and if the invading country didn't have the forbearance that NATO troops have, the retaliations for insurgencies could be immense.
    It would be a hell of a lot more than "a few". It would take a massive occupation force to pacify the populace.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vuljatar View Post
    That's because of the numbers. There aren't enough of them to get the ball rolling. (Also, we actually have a real military that would come into play)

It would be a hell of a lot more than "a few". It would take a massive occupation force to pacify the populace.
    It actually has very little to do with the numbers. If they had greater numbers, it would just make it easier for the US military to target them with greater firepower.

And yes, the US does have a military that would come into play, but let's not pretend that you and your buddies with some AR-15s are going to be what's stopping an enemy nation from taking over the country. It would be the US military.

It would take a massive occupation force to pacify the US populace if they had a problem with killing civilians. And that's only because the US is a nation of 300 million people, so it would be true whether or not we all had guns before the invasion. If they didn't have a problem killing civilians, all it would take would be a few displays of overwhelming force and brutality. You know how you kill insurgents if your military isn't worried about civilian casualties? You just kill everyone who might be an insurgent.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post
    I know that, but I don't think one can compare the average joe in the US to middle eastern insurgents, those guys are either brainwashed/radicals or extremely poor/desperate.

I don't think you would see many americans going out shooting at a military force for a few bucks for example, which isn't all that uncommon in Afghanistan, where it might be the only source of income a family father might have, it's his last chance of bringing home the bacon so to speak.

I'm of the opinion that people who live in comfort becomes more docile/obidient/whatever.

I'm sure there would be armed resistance but would the average joe in a western country be ready to go to same extremes as a middle eastern insurgent? I doubt it.

All these countries that suffers from civil unrest/civil war/terrorism, are piss poor. Poverty(and in extension desperation) man, that is what brings out the beast in people.
    There is really no way to know until it happens. I did see one point you made that i can counter. You say the average American wouldn't be willing to take on insurgent tactics. you are probably right, but keep in mind the average Afghanistan citizen probably doesn't either. the thing is if only 5% of us decided to fight back that becomes a rather big number.

As for the rest it really depends on how our way of life is treated. As i said earlier (i think I said it here, ayway), military occupation forces tend to be really tough on civilian populations. History has given us countless examples to show that, and it really just comes down to how drastically our way of life is changed. Completely destroy the average suburbanite's way of life, threaten their family and change the paradigm enough and i think you would find more armed Resistance than you expect.

---------- Post added 2012-10-03 at 08:00 PM ----------

It would take a massive occupation force to pacify the US populace if they had a problem with killing civilians. And that's only because the US is a nation of 300 million people, so it would be true whether or not we all had guns before the invasion. If they didn't have a problem killing civilians, all it would take would be a few displays of overwhelming force and brutality. You know how you kill insurgents if your military isn't worried about civilian casualties? You just kill everyone who might be an insurgent.
    Massive displays of force seldom work when directed at civilian populations. if you want to pacify an armed resistance the LAST thing you want to do is continue to kill civilians as an example.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

10+ Year Old Account
    Ross Perot wasn't talking about a military takeover.
    I know that. Should've worded that second sentence better but oh well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Torethyr View Post
    Every nation that thought themselves too powerful to be invaded inevitably, at some point, found themselves invaded.
    This is very true. Rome thought the same thing, and they were conquered by a bunch of 'uncivilized' people with far worse technology.

---------- Post added 2012-10-03 at 09:06 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by HBpapa View Post
    Its entirely possible, all they would have to do is:

Cross the ocean.
    Somehow defeat the Navy, Air Force (and Coast Guard).
    Somehow defeat the Army and Marines.
    Somehow defeat armed resistance of the citizens.
    Somehow not spread their forces too thin while covering a little under 4 million square miles.
    Get reinforcements from a country which is most likely reduced to glass and glowing in the dark.
    You're thinking too conventional. What about a massive cyber attack that completely shuts down all defense systems?
    After that they simply need to take out strategic bases and claim the whole country. Occupying is another thing though, that won't be easy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    This is very true. Rome thought the same thing, and they were conquered by a bunch of 'uncivilized' people with far worse technology.
    Rome trained the soldiers that sacked Rome. The Goths and the Vandals that sacked Rome were at various points allies, enemies, and commonly used as Roman Legionnaires.

Quote Originally Posted by Kreeb View Post
    I just saw a documentary about 9/11 and how the US litterary could not defend themself at all. Unorganized to say the least.
    Therefore it's rather plausible that a hostile force could invade America someday.
    Are hostile forces going to take over America by capturing planes and crashing them into buildings? That's terrorism, not an invasion.
    Last edited by Livic; 2012-10-03 at 09:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireballzz
    WoW is dying pls send help

It actually has very little to do with the numbers. If they had greater numbers, it would just make it easier for the US military to target them with greater firepower.
    A higher density would do that, not just greater overall numbers.

And yes, the US does have a military that would come into play, but let's not pretend that you and your buddies with some AR-15s are going to be what's stopping an enemy nation from taking over the country. It would be the US military.
    "I and my buddies" would make any attempted occupation impractical, regardless of the outcome of the initial military conflict.

If you kill everyone who might be an insurgent, everyone will become an insurgent.

Yeah right Americans are armed to the teeth, the only way to take over the US would be to wipe out almost the entire population.

15+ Year Old Account
    If something ever happens to America, it will be self-destruction. Most likely economical in nature.

And this is why I hate American media - it's so centered on fearmongering and creating perpetual reasons why you should panic and keep watching the news to see if everything's OK it's ridiculous. >_<

10+ Year Old Account
    Impossible if any country or if the world groups together to attak usa...usa can take down the world with it...no one can stand against america proven fact look at how the defense is build lol they will shoot u down before u get in the borders...rip world if any one attaks america...

Quote Originally Posted by Anoushe View Post
    Impossible if any country or if the world groups together to attak usa...usa can take down the world with it...no one can stand against america proven fact look at how the defense is build lol they will shoot u down before u get in the borders...rip world if any one attaks america...
    Now you are exaggerating, they are good but it is not impossible to beat them, but it is impossible to actually hold the US, since the American population would simply revolt against any occupying force.

And like Haven pointed out above the only real threat the US has to fear, is self destruction, like civil war.