Thread: Frost or Fire?

Frost or Fire?

Who here is going frost or fire(Because they think it's better, IDC really if you think one is more fun than the other)

Also, what tier6 talent?

Also, does exp count as hit now?

Spec:
    I chose Fire; the heroic gear as of now seems to support the spec far more than had been in expansions before (just that spec).

L90:
    Incanter's Ward. I LOVED Incanter's Absorption, period, and since one has to rep grind for gear, it's definitely a nice tool as an every now and again shield for bigger Pyroblast!.

Expertise:
    Yup, 1:1.

Quote Originally Posted by TwentyNine View Post
    Spec:
    I chose Fire; the heroic gear as of now seems to support the spec far more than had been in expansions before (just that spec).

L90:
    Incanter's Ward. I LOVED Incanter's Absorption, period, and since one has to rep grind for gear, it's definitely a nice tool as an every now and again shield for bigger Pyroblast!.

Expertise:
    Yup, 1:1.
    Okay, about #2, I thought it was between invocation and rune of power?

Do not discount Incanter's Ward, it is more situational than the other two but on the occasions that you can use it then it usually outshines them because it is much easier to keep up.
    Many encounters in heroic dungeons have passive AOE, randomly targetted DoT effects or weakly damaging floor AOE effects which you can use to pop IW without much of a problem and given the choice between doing that and standing in one place or channeling evocation every 40 seconds you will probably want to go for the Ward.

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    Do not discount Incanter's Ward, it is more situational than the other two but on the occasions that you can use it then it usually outshines them because it is much easier to keep up.
    Many encounters in heroic dungeons have passive AOE, randomly targetted DoT effects or weakly damaging floor AOE effects which you can use to pop IW without much of a problem and given the choice between doing that and standing in one place or channeling evocation every 40 seconds you will probably want to go for the Ward.

I'm talking about raids, dungeons don't matter :P

It's exactly the same in raids though!
    On any boss with regular AOE pulses or other unavoidable raid damage, Incanter's Ward will be a good choice.
    If that fight also has a lot of movement then it will be an overwhelmingly good choice.

Let's break that down by encounter, the dungeon journal does not list spell cooldowns but almost every boss has some form of attack that should reliably give you the full bonus of Incanter's Ward without requiring you to do anything but cast it;

Stone Guard: Depends on frequency of Overload but could easily work
    Feng: Arcane Velocity, Arcane Resonance, Epicenter(?)
    Gara'Jal: Shadowy Minions
    Spirit Kings: Do not use IW in this encounter
    Elegon: Arcing Energy, Stability Flux, Total Annihilation, Radiating Energies, Unstable Energy. Despite the wide variety of pulsing AOE effects most of them do not seem to occur early in the fight so this may not work well.
    Will of the Emperor: Titan Gas, IW is excellent here.

Zor'Lok: Force and Verve, but this is not active all the time so IW should probably not be used.
    Ta'Yak: Unseen Strike, Storm Unleashed
    Garalon: Pheremones, another excellent encounter as it is constant unavoidable AOE
    Mel'Jarak: Rain of Blades, this one probably isn't cast often enough to make IW worthwhile
    Un'Sok: Living Amber, Amber Explosion
    Shek'Zeer: Sonic Discharge, Cry of Terror(?), Calamity (more difficult to set off during add phase through AOE but you are likely to have a poison bomb thrown at you or become fixated by an add)

Protectors: Touch of Sha, Overwhelming Corruption (this fight also sounds very good for IW, at least when killed in the standard order)
    Tsulong: Dread Shadows, then you have to hope a randomly targetted add spell hits you in the sun phase
    Lei Shi: Get Away, this fight honestly sounds poor for all three spells. Oh dear.
    Sha of Fear: Everything on the add platform, but you're down to luck with add targeting while fighting the actual boss

Any DoT effect that targets you will work too although that requires more luck.
    Use some common sense rather than blindly following what people tell you in guides! (And any guide that has told you never to pick IW was a bad one anyway).

Frost, i find the dungeon gear to support frost alot more. Ive seen fire mages crying that all the 450/463 gear is haste and mastery. There is a lack of crit gear, so assuming haste is #1 stat behind hit for frost, the gearing is easier/better for frost.

As far as the tier 6 talents go, i've been favoring the evocation one over the rune just because 25%>15% not taking casting into consideration. I used the ward for leveling but didn't understand it. The tooltip on proc says 30% spell dmg but the tooltip states its a % of damage taken. I never saw the buff icon with a different % other then 30%, even when ward was still active aka not yet broken or completely used up.

Imnick, good reply - you put far too much effort in to it however. The OP's snippiness doesn't warrant it. He came here asking for an opinion, got one and doesn't know how to say thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuztum View Post
    Frost, i find the dungeon gear to support frost alot more. Ive seen fire mages crying that all the 450/463 gear is haste and mastery. There is a lack of crit gear, so assuming haste is #1 stat behind hit for frost, the gearing is easier/better for frost.

As far as the tier 6 talents go, i've been favoring the evocation one over the rune just because 25%>15% not taking casting into consideration. I used the ward for leveling but didn't understand it. The tooltip on proc says 30% spell dmg but the tooltip states its a % of damage taken. I never saw the buff icon with a different % other then 30%, even when ward was still active aka not yet broken or completely used up.
    I don't know how well it scales with spellpower but the actual shield portion of IW is pathetic and is rarely going to save your life, a gnat could fart in your direction and it will fully consume the ward to give you 30% bonus damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivalen View Post
    Imnick, good reply - you put far too much effort in to it however. The OP's snippiness doesn't warrant it. He came here asking for an opinion, got one and doesn't know how to say thank you.
    I said *I Thought*

Fire here, from a pvp point of view, why go frost, when you can cast deep freeze as fire
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate

10+ Year Old Account
    Frost. The gear I have right now supports the spec.
    90 talent. Currently going Invocation mostly because I'm burning mana and using evocate a fair amount. That said, reading other posts I want to give IW a few tries.
    Playing
    WildStar -Mechari Medic, Draken Stalker
    Diablo: RoS
    GW2 - Ranger