Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Queueing spells after invocation.

I'm not a hardcore gamer, but when it comes to raiding, I'm leaning towards the philosophy of min/maxing and here's the thing. With invocation being the best dps choice for most fights, how am I supposed to queue my spells after each evocation? Every time I try to queue a spell after evo, the last tick doesn't go off and I don't get the buff (meaning I casted for 5sec for nothing, which is a huge dps loss). I don't use any /stopcasting macros. Do you have any tricks on how to queue spells after channels? Or maybe I should just wait till it ends and face the minimal dps loss while not casting for a split second?

Deleted
    If you use a castbar addon (Gnosis being my addon of choice) use the latency to account for when the final tick will be and queue accordingly. However, it's better to play safe than sorry in this case as you well know. If in doubt, the DPS loss from not casting until just after the channel ends is so small it can almost be ignored, especially as you're working on keeping up a 25% buff.

Yeah, but those are not always accurate :/ Is there any way to "block" the game from automatically interrupting chanelled spells when another spell is in queue? And I mean legal way :P

Deleted
    At a guess, this *might* work, would test on dummies (I haven't, nor am I currently able to) before using. If you could post whether or not it works, would be great!

#showtooltip SpellName
    /cast [nochanneling:Evocation] SpellName

You would have to bind this to every spell on your bars, but at least it *should* fix your problem. Like I said, this is currently untested so might not work. Worth a shot, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Serene View Post
    At a guess, this *might* work, would test on dummies (I haven't, nor am I currently able to) before using. If you could post whether or not it works, would be great!

#showtooltip SpellName
    /cast [nochanneling:Evocation] SpellName

You would have to bind this to every spell on your bars, but at least it *should* fix your problem. Like I said, this is currently untested so might not work. Worth a shot, though.
    and you would have to spam the spell to cast during th last sec or so of evo

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridesdel View Post
    and you would have to spam the spell to cast during th last sec or so of evo
    So no different to what I'd normally do anyway, then.

Yeah I've noticed this too, not quite sure why it thinks clipping the last second of evocation is ok

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    Yeah I've noticed this too, not quite sure why it thinks clipping the last second of evocation is ok
    Not 100% sure what you mean by this, but any channel with ticks can be interrupted after a tick - good example would be mind flay. Evocation is no different. I suppose Blizzard could change Evocation to be a cast spell when you choose Invocation, but oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Serene View Post
    Not 100% sure what you mean by this, but any channel with ticks can be interrupted after a tick - good example would be mind flay. Evocation is no different. I suppose Blizzard could change Evocation to be a cast spell when you choose Invocation, but oh well.
    I know that but as it applies a buff when it finishes casting that is essential to your DPS you think they might have thought "maybe it's finally time to fix this ancient bug"
    Apparently not.

its the best damage? I thought overall Rune of power does about the same amount over a course of a fight

Quote Originally Posted by Systam View Post
    its the best damage? I thought overall Rune of power does about the same amount over a course of a fight
    Only if you can stand in the rune for the entire fight, it is easier to keep up a 40 second buff than it is to only stand in a couple of positions over an entire boss battle

10+ Year Old Account
    I know that but as it applies a buff when it finishes casting that is essential to your DPS you think they might have thought "maybe it's finally time to fix this ancient bug"
    Apparently not.
    In the event that you'd want to cancel evo to avoid being interrupted or start casting another spell, just use a macro and you'll be fine

Only if you can stand in the rune for the entire fight, it is easier to keep up a 40 second buff than it is to only stand in a couple of positions over an entire boss battle
    well nice to know thanks. i dont really enjoy the new 90 talents too much. they're not bad but they break the feel of blowing someone up. every 35 seconds stopping for 5 seconds to evocate or throwing down runes ><

You won't be losing a lot if you really want to use Rune of Power, it just tends to work better because of that and the fact that it scales with haste (especially important for Frost mages who will be stacking as much haste as they can). The difference isn't enormous.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephrie View Post
    Yeah, but those are not always accurate :/ Is there any way to "block" the game from automatically interrupting chanelled spells when another spell is in queue? And I mean legal way :P
    Doesn't /cast !Evocation do that?

Quote Originally Posted by Systam View Post
    well nice to know thanks. i dont really enjoy the new 90 talents too much. they're not bad but they break the feel of blowing someone up. every 35 seconds stopping for 5 seconds to evocate or throwing down runes ><
    I agree. kinda loathing the 90 talents right now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiili View Post
    Doesn't /cast !Evocation do that?
    No, it doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Decimation2g View Post
    I agree. kinda loathing the 90 talents right now.
    At first, I hated them. Now I'm used to it, they're not so bad, to be honest.

I guess it will depend how much movement is involved in each fight, I'm using Rune right now, the urge to stand on the rune no matter what is going on around you is going to take some time to get over

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Decimation2g View Post
    I guess it will depend how much movement is involved in each fight, I'm using Rune right now, the urge to stand on the rune no matter what is going on around you is going to take some time to get over
    That is exactly the reason why I won't take Rune of Power, nor play Arcane (as RoP is the only 'viable' PvE talent with Arcane). Sacrificing raid survivability for personal DPS is dumb.

Won't that macro actually also make queueing spells after evocation impossible? It won't interrupt evo, though it will "consider" casting another spell AFTER evo is actually done, so either way, it's a dps loss.