Page 1 of 3
LastLast

660 ti or 7950 ?

I'm currently building a new pc. I have ordered everything except the gpu. I've pretty much come down to these 2. Don't really wanna spend more than what either of these 2 cost. I purchased an i5 3570k, 16 gb 1866 gskill ram, 128 gb Samsung 830 ssd, 500 gb WD black HD, GIGABYTE|GA-Z77X-UD3H mobo. Just looking for dome opinions on the 2 maybe personal Expierence with either or. Don't want this to turn into nvidia vs Radeon.

You wasted all that money on an i5 and now you're skimping on the video card???? People like you shouldn't be allowed to build pcs.

TL;DR go for the 7950

Warning: the insults are not necessary, post nice or don't post at all.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-10-02 at 06:24 PM.

Deleted
    depends on what tittles you play mostly (some games are pretty good tuned for nvidia )

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't be sour Yoke, he didn't waste money with that setup. It's perfectly fine. Someone is jelly.

On-topic:
    You be the judge OP, it's really personal preference.
    http://www.techspot.com/review/565-n...ce-gtx-660-ti/
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages...review,10.html
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/647?vs=550

However, and this is my personal oppinion, i think nvidia drivers are better optimized, and more frequently updated.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceforium View Post
    Don't want this to turn into nvidia vs Radeon.
    For these 2 cards, this is basically what it falls down to. If you're playing any game that uses Physx, go with the 660TI. Otherwise, grab whatever one is cheaper. If you can get them for the same price, pick your favorite brand. Some are worried that ATI/AMD support will drop due to them not doing so well but I don't see that as an issue. They both have decent driver support and perform similarly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't listen to Yoke.

It really boils down to what games you play, since they're both trading blows.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Great build OP, don't listen to anyone hating, they are definitely jealous.

660 Ti: If you play a lot of games that are NVidia-lovers and you don't plan to exceed 1920x1080/don't plan to play on more than one monitor, and you only would go up to 4 monitors total.

7950: If you want to game across multiple monitors, perhaps at bigger resolutions like 2560x1440/2560x1600, and you play a lot of games, perhaps only a few that are NVidia-lovers. The much larger membus on the 7950 (believe it is 384 bit vs 192 bit) will make it dominate the 660 Ti and pull far ahead at the larger resolutions/multi-monitor gaming setups.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoke View Post
    You wasted all that money on an i5 and now you're skimping on the video card???? People like you shouldn't be allowed to build pcs.

TL;DR go for the 7950
    I'm confused how the i5 was a waste of money? Also, 660 Ti isn't skimping compared to a 7950; the cards don't perform that much differently
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    I'm confused how the i5 was a waste of money? Also, 660 Ti isn't skimping compared to a 7950; the cards don't perform that much differently
    unless the game you're playing is in 2D i'm pretty sure your video card is going to be doing the vast majority of the shading and rendering. Hence money spent on a video card gives you a far larger increase in fps than money spent on a better cpu.

unless the game you're playing is in 2D i'm pretty sure your video card is going to be doing the vast majority of the shading and rendering. Hence money spent on a video card gives you a far larger increase in fps than money spent on a better cpu.
    That depends entirely on the game/genre you're playing. Sure, in genres like First-person shooters, the GPU is just as important as the CPU, if not more so. But in genres like MMORPGs (especially older ones like WoW), CPUs are much more important.

Yeah because bottlenecking never occurs...

Hey, here's a super relevant article. A 7950 tested on 13 different processors showing how bottlenecking affects gaming performance!

http://techreport.com/articles.x/23246/1
    Corsair 500r - i5-3570k@4.8 - H100i - 580 DirectCUII - Crucial M4
    Lenovo y580 - i7-3630QM - 660M - Crucial M4 mSATA

Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    That depends entirely on the game/genre you're playing. Sure, in genres like First-person shooters, the GPU is just as important as the CPU, if not more so. But in genres like MMORPGs (especially older ones like WoW), CPUs are much more important.
    This is completely false dollar for dollar there is no game where a $1 increase in cpu cost is ever equivalent to a $1 increase in gpu cost. Anyone who says there is such a thing as a "bottleneck" doesn't understand what a bottleneck is. A more expensive cpu will always outperform a cheaper one, does that mean that it is giving you equivalent performance to a gpu increase? NO.

Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    Second that. I have an i5-3570K at 4.2 GHz; GW2 brings it to its knees in WvW. My 6850 often drops down to 50-60% usage with that many characters around.
    Waste not, want not.

10+ Year Old Account
    i5-3570k & i7-3770k perform similar in games, BF3 is more GPU demanding than CPU, MW3 is more CPU demanding than GPU.

MMO's are generally more CPU dependant than GPU.
    Strategy games are more mixed, it really depends on the game.

If what you said were true, I wouldn't be getting max 30 FPS on MW3 on my Pentium G850 & GTX 670.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

This is completely false dollar for dollar there is no game where a $1 increase in cpu cost is ever equivalent to a $1 increase in gpu cost. Anyone who says there is such a thing as a "bottleneck" doesn't understand what a bottleneck is. A more expensive cpu will always outperform a cheaper one, does that mean that it is giving you equivalent performance to a gpu increase? NO.
    I gave you numbers showing otherwise, please refute this claim with proof.

I also bought a PC not long ago, I took i7 3770 unlike you but I also had the debate of 660 ti or 7950... figured i would take 7950 as it has 3 GB and on overclocking it's pretty much a beast that comes near 670

Quote Originally Posted by Grraarrgghh View Post
    I gave you numbers showing otherwise, please refute this claim with proof.
    do you have trouble reading?

This is completely false dollar for dollar there is no game where a $1 increase in cpu cost is ever equivalent to a $1 increase in gpu cost. Anyone who says there is such a thing as a "bottleneck" doesn't understand what a bottleneck is.
    Then you have never played World of Warcraft.

I would get the 7950, simply because games are only going to use more high resolution textures, thus taxing vRAM and memory bandwidth more. Plus most 7950s are overclocking beasts.

Unless you exclusively play TWIMTBP titles (BF3 etc) or have an irrational hatred of ATI/AMD the only price-point that nVidia wins at is the GTX 660. The AMD cards win the price/performance rating at every other price point from $100-$500.
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2012-10-02 at 06:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by inux94 View Post
    i5-3570k & i7-3770k perform similar in games, BF3 is more GPU demanding than CPU, MW3 is more CPU demanding than GPU.

MMO's are generally more CPU dependant than GPU.
    Strategy games are more mixed, it really depends on the game.

If what you said were true, I wouldn't be getting max 30 FPS on MW3 on my Pentium G850 & GTX 670.

inb4 i don't know what an instruction set is

Then you have never played World of Warcraft.

I would get the 7950, simply because games are only going to use more high resolution textures, thus taxing vRAM and memory bandwidth more.

Unless you exclusively play TWIMTBP titles (BF3 etc) or have an irrational hatred of ATI/AMD the only price-point that nVidia wins at is the GTX 660. The AMD cards win the price/performance rating at every other price point from $100-$500.
    we are both arguing the same point lol...

do you have trouble reading?
    Do you have trouble backing up claims with hard data?