[Balance] How to dps while on the move?

So, what is the best way for fights where you have to constantly move (i.e. switch stacked / spread positions)? Please consider a few scenarios: 1. in eclipse, 2. not in eclipse.

What I currently do (not sure is right):

1. while in eclipse: keep spaming the eclipsed dot while maintaining the non-eclipsed dot up;
    2. not in eclipse: start spamming whichever dot that wasn't cast while in eclipse, so let say I came from solar with a dot buffed from it, I will spam the other non-eclipsed dot (so I'm not clipping the eclipsed one) and when that one falls off I reapply.

Besides that, hope for a starsurge proc and readjust the strategy in case I switchout eclipses due to it.

So anyways, do you guys do it? Is there a better way of doing it?

I'm actually not sure what we do with Lunar Shower. Do we spam Eclipsed and maintain Uneclipsed or other way around and let the Eclipsed tick away. Math to back it up would be awesome as I suck with those things :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by land View Post

1. while in eclipse: keep spaming the eclipsed dot while maintaining the non-eclipsed dot up;
    2. not in eclipse: start spamming whichever dot that wasn't cast while in eclipse, so let say I came from solar with a dot buffed from it, I will spam the other non-eclipsed dot (so I'm not clipping the eclipsed one) and when that one falls off I reapply.
    That's pretty much what I do, our dps while moving seems similar to other caster classes so I think its fine but I'm not sure if its optimal.

Quote Originally Posted by Juvencus View Post
    I'm actually not sure what we do with Lunar Shower. Do we spam Eclipsed and maintain Uneclipsed or other way around and let the Eclipsed tick away. Math to back it up would be awesome as I suck with those things :P
    Have you forgotten that since 4.0, DoTs tick independently of being reapplied? Always the Eclipsed one if you can. Otherwise you're just wasting damage for no good reason. If you're just out of an Eclipse, things are different, of course...

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Always the Eclipsed one if you can. Otherwise you're just wasting damage for no good reason.
    Would you mind elaborating on this? Is it because of the initial damage done when you apply the dot is higher/eclipsed? Actually, is there such a thing as damage when adding the dot? I'm at work so can't check that yet...

Yes. Moonfire has done that since before the game was released.

Also, obviously, you should use the eclipsed one because it will do only half as much damage. /sarcasm

Ugh, no wonder why my dps was shit on heroic rag (when farming the mount during 4.3), all that movement and I didn't realize I should be spamming my eclipsed dot... Well, thx for the info

During 4.3, you shouldn't have had Lunar Shower, making tactic ineffective. This is purely 5.0 talk.