Page 1 of 109
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

[Help Me!] The "Fix My DPS" Thread (Read first post before posting)

Everyone needs help sometime or another, here's where you ask for it.

WHAT THIS IS NOT:

-Fix my spec plx???
    -What is my next upgrade???
    -What rotation should I use???
    -HALP!

WHAT THIS IS:

-You have no clue why your (or someone elses) dps is so low
    -You want to improve in general
    -You are not satisfied with "Do X, Y, Z in that order" answers
    -You want an answer better suited to your playstyle

WHAT WE NEED:

We can't help you if you don't help us. "I do 2500 dps in TOC25 HALP!" only shows us that you can't read this post. There are several tools out there that will help us analyze your output and thus be able to say exactly what the problem is. This is what you need to provide in your post.

Recommended: Combat Log Parse

The best way to review your output is to get a combat log parse so that we can see the complete picture. This will show not only what you did, when you did it, and how well you did it, but also what the entire raid did. Maybe the problem was that the Elemental Shaman and Ret Paladin always die really early, and therefore you were missing their combined buffs. A combat log parse will show this.

I recommend www.worldoflogs.com because of how easy their site is to navigate and how easy it is to run. It's very user friendly and has a lot of options and features. Once you have registered here and installed their client, the basic steps to create a combat log are:

1) Start the client
    2) Follow these directions http://www.worldoflogs.com/help/client/ and start a "Live Report"
    3) Open World of Warcraft, and when you're just about to start the fight, type /combatlog
    4) When the boss is dead, type /combatlog again to stop
    5) Switch back to the client and click "Sync Now" to send the report
    6) Post that link here.

It's that simple.

Option Two: Recount Screenshot with Details

This won't show us all the details, but is better for anonymity of your guild mates. This is a bit simpler than the above because you should already know how to use Recount.

1) Kill the boss with Recount running
    2) Pick that fight from the Recount window so we can filter out the rest of the crap
    3) Click your name so the details appear
    4) Hit print screen
    5) Upload that image (World of Warcraft \ Screenshots \) to http://imageshack.us and post the link here. (You don't need a login here)

It should look like this
    [img width=600]http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/2327/recountwithdetails.jpg[/img]

Last Ditch Effort: Recount or Combat Log Parse of Target Dummy

This should only be used as a last resort. Basically, follow the steps above but do so for a combat dummy.
    HOWEVER
    Make sure that the target dummy has zero debuffs on it when you start, and you cast no debuffs on it. It needs to be 100% clean. We can take the numbers you show us and increase them as if you had full raid buffs. If you attack a dummy with a buff or two on it that you don't know about, we will inadvertently factor these buffs in twice, which will make us say "You should be doing XXXXX dps" when you physically can never reach this number.

If you are spec'd for Demonic Pact or Improved Shadow Bolt, say so in the parse so we can figure that out too.
    DO NOT USE CURSE OF ELEMENTS. Use Doom or Agony on the dummy.

R.I.P. YARG

Re: The "Fix My DPS" Thread (Read first post before posting)

I'm running around 3.5k in ToC25, which is far less than I should be doing.

The problem I've got is fairly self-evident. Every time I get an upgrade with +crit or +haste, it's got more +hit than the item I'm replacing. I'm way over the hit cap, and nowhere near where I want to be for crit or haste. Eventually, that should even out a bit, but that requires winning rolls on items that I need. Just takes time.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...d&n=Trithemius
    Dranei Ultra-Nationalist and Mac'Aree Patriot

15+ Year Old Account

That's actually bang on for what you should be doing. Your spell power is very low, haste and crit are at about par for "Whatever you can get" gear.

You have 1pc T8 and no T9. Aim for 2pc of each if you can. They're each worth about 300 dps.
    You need to use a Chaotic Skyflare Diamond. This is another 200-300 dps.

Getting all three of these will put you at 4500 dps.

R.I.P. YARG

Yeah, I'm gonna put CSD into my tier 8 helm when I get it. Just need a few more badges. After that, it's just a matter of getting the right things to drop from ToC25 and Ony25.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by DreamOfTheRood
    Yeah, I'm gonna put CSD into my tier 8 helm when I get it. Just need a few more badges. After that, it's just a matter of getting the right things to drop from ToC25 and Ony25.
    I disagree. The goal should be to farm Naxx10, Naxx25, the Daily Heroic, TOC10, etc to get as many Conquest and Triumph badges as you can so that you can buy tier pieces you need. Don't wait for the gear, actively pursue it.

R.I.P. YARG

The problem I've got is fairly self-evident. Every time I get an upgrade with +crit or +haste, it's got more +hit than the item I'm replacing. I'm way over the hit cap, and nowhere near where I want to be for crit or haste. Eventually, that should even out a bit, but that requires winning rolls on items that I need. Just takes time.

to reduce hit, i'd get rid of that hit trinket and go for a spellpower one... or respec and take the 3 pts out of Supression...

eternal belt buckle for your waist, and spell power gem it... also might want to add spell power gems where you got crit strike gems... crit is important, but spell power trumps it....

Yay someone used this thread!

Use corruption while moving. other than that you don't need to worry about putting it into a rotation.

I have had some problems that i'm getting better gear but my dps ain't raising as I wanted.
    So I need some tips plz if there is anything.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...naros&n=Dakung

My roration is
    CoD-Immo-conflag-incir-incir-incir-Chaos and so on.
    Some ppl use chaos bolt after conflag but I think it's much smother with my rotation.

Help Help
    Quote Originally Posted by Sporatik
    I don't want my nice suede chair to smell like ass and nutsack.
    Photoshopshit: http://s635.photobucket.com/albums/uu80/Dakung_01/?albumview=slideshow

Your spec needs alot of work. I don't see how you cannot have 3 points in demonic aegis. If it is your PVE build you need to drop supression(your hit as you said is more than fine), drop fel domination, drop shadow burn, drop shadowfury, drop one point out of demonic embrace and one point out of destructive reach. Fill out demonic aegis , soul leech, and improved soul leech.

15+ Year Old Account

For the love of god post a screen-shot of recount and your terrible dps.
    The details window shows a lot of info. Don't just post your armory.

Instructions are in the first post.

R.I.P. YARG

Quote Originally Posted by nippsie
    Your spec needs alot of work. I don't see how you cannot have 3 points in demonic aegis. If it is your PVE build you need to drop supression(your hit as you said is more than fine), drop fel domination, drop shadow burn, drop shadowfury, drop one point out of demonic embrace and one point out of destructive reach. Fill out demonic aegis , soul leech, and improved soul leech.
    The thing about Suppression is a pretty good point. I can take the points from that into Demonic Aegis. The rest of that stuff about Improved Soul Leech? Nah. The amount of threat reduction I'd lose, the amount of stamina, my aoe stun ... those are things I really don't want to lose, and they get a lot more use than you'd think. I don't think that opportunity cost would be worth the piddling amount of replenishment that would be coming from me.

hi,

i'm hoping that anyone of you can help me.... at the moment i'm doing around 3.5k dps... and a friend told me, that i should be doing some more, or that is what i can do atm with my current gear?

Atm i'm 3 points under the hit cap, and i have Kurisu's Indecision and Gliting Azuresong Mageblade in bag should i use them?.

i'm only able to give u the screenshot of dummy (atm)...

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...ol&n=Xaueadeus

my current rotation is LT (rank 1) - CoE/CoD - Immolate - Conflag - Chaos Bolt - Incinerate and always using conflag and chaos bolt when they aren't in coldown.

yesterday i replaced Glpyh of Immolate with Glyph of Incinerate, was that a good change?

i'm using rawr to help me with somethings its a good option?

hope you guys can help me
    thks

well i would like a bit of advice my lvl 80 gnome warlock isnt doing wat rawr says it should (i know its a computer but id like to come atleast close) so heres my info:
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...n=R%C3%AAquiem
    now i did a test approximatley 1min (exactly 1m with cod) so heres wat u need my recount with cod
    http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...309_061221.jpg
    and my rawr calc using cod
    http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...to/rawrcod.jpg
    i know that rawr is just theorycrafting (numbers are evil) but i didnt come close and yes i set the latency to wat the screen shot shows. am i missing something or do i have to much of something or not anoff. i dont know what i've visited elitist jerks read the mage equivelent post and some others, came here read a bunch of post's, and wow's forums (least usefull)
    and to cover my bases i did it with coe up
    http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...to/rawrcoe.jpg
    http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...309_061459.jpg
    note i did this on alleria (us) server early morning with a low ping and the only one using my connection. no well fed, flasks or other buffs were used other then normal warlock buffs

these are actually higher then what i get in ulduar. i know i need new trinks im working on it but between bad drops and lowsy rolls i have had little to no luck. also just so you know i dont wanna drop my hit below 361 because i can guarantee a dreanie and even a dreanie priest but no shadow priest or boomkins in our 10mans. also im the only lvl 80 lock in our guild (plus the other locks on alleria arent generally bright, i coordinate who casts wat curse per fight and i see 3-4 cod's and no coe's or other dmg buff like that unless i cast it when i was suppose to cast cod) and we have no unholy dk's (wtb boomkin or ebon plague pst)

*edit* your main spec is destro, so... ignore my advise

http://www.wowarmory.com/talent-calc...00000000000000

I use affliction for when I need to farm shards. If that's what's up on the armory now, it's only because I logged out after sharding. I know there are some people who swear by affliction for raiding. I'm not one of them.

i would say then to drop suppression, you have more than enough +hit, you look to be missing some enchants, and you could socket straight SP except for going for your meta bonus.

The thing about Suppression is a pretty good point. I can take the points from that into Demonic Aegis. The rest of that stuff about Improved Soul Leech? Nah. The amount of threat reduction I'd lose, the amount of stamina, my aoe stun ... those are things I really don't want to lose, and they get a lot more use than you'd think. I don't think that opportunity cost would be worth the piddling amount of replenishment that would be coming from me.
    Heh, piddling amount eh? IMP SL is really quite beneficial now. Life Tapping is not DPS. 3% stamina(3/3 demonic embrace vs. 2/3) is not DPS. I think the things you prefer are getting you a lot less than you think which is why you are here asking for help with your DPS. Keep doing the same thing and expect different results, we all know what that defines.

Cool to see this thread. It may be a case of l2p or other guys just being better players but I've been pretty annoyed with my dps compared to the other locks in my guild and any help I can get is welcome.

From what logs tell me (see: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/C...um/damageDone/ for Onyxia25/TocT25/VoA25) the main problem is that the other guys seem to get far more Incinerates in. This is especially true in fights that have a lot of movement.

I somehow get my rotation screwed up every once in a while as well, with "that's not ready yet" messages, which loses me GCD's. I'm running Quartz, but it doesn't seem to do that much for me anymore. Gear-wise I should be able to keep up with the rest imo, although my trinkets may also be an issue.

My char's name is Onyx in those reports btw, and all tips are most welcome. Armory: http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...+of+Hellscream

Onyx.

Quote Originally Posted by dmrazor
    Cool to see this thread. It may be a case of l2p or other guys just being better players but I've been pretty annoyed with my dps compared to the other locks in my guild and any help I can get is welcome.

From what logs tell me (see: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/C...um/damageDone/ for Onyxia25/TocT25/VoA25) the main problem is that the other guys seem to get far more Incinerates in. This is especially true in fights that have a lot of movement.

I somehow get my rotation screwed up every once in a while as well, with "that's not ready yet" messages, which loses me GCD's. I'm running Quartz, but it doesn't seem to do that much for me anymore. Gear-wise I should be able to keep up with the rest imo, although my trinkets may also be an issue.

My char's name is Onyx in those reports btw, and all tips are most welcome. Armory: http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...+of+Hellscream

Onyx.
    I cannot comment much on Affliction. I played it four years ago and always hated it.

There are several mods out there for destro. One destro lock in our guild swears by an addon called EasyDestro, which basically analyzes what is coming off of cooldown or has a timer running out on your target. It doesn't cast the next spell for you, but tells you what you should cast.

I personally dislike being told what to cast, because at times it may be better to wait half a second to cast something instead of pushing that cast back behind whatever cast timer you put in its place.

I use TellMeWhen. It has four buttons which you can configure. I have the buttons hide when they are off CD, and show when they are on CD with the timer on.

Left is Chaos Bolt. The icon pops up after I use it and counts down. The next is Conflag. It pops up when the ability is on CD with the timer on. Immolate is the next, but reads it's timer as being a debuff on the target. The last is Doom, which reads its timer like immolate, based of the duration left on the mob.

In this manner if you are not in combat nothing is being displayed, and if you don't see an ability on CD then it should be cast. I have the TMW window set just under my character on my screen for easy viewing.

I can edit this post later with a SS when I get home tonight if anyone is interested.
    This space for rent.

(This is relevant to this thread in the sense that in certain situations my destro dps sucks. I don't want to start an entire thread over this.)

What does a destro warlock do in fights where fire spells are resisted? A very common environment is just before the second boss in House of Lightning where the flame mobs are immune to flame spells. Other raid mobs are the same way, but I'm at work and I can't think of any right now.

What do you use if you can't use fire spells? I've tried Chaos Bolt and Shadow Bolt, which both work, but are on long CDs and/or have long cast times. What "rotation" would you use in such a situation?