How to build up combustion damage?

Now with the POM and Alter Time, how should a fire opener be?

put up the living bomb/nether tempest first, then spam fire ball until heat up and IB, then pyro, then what? do you just use POM and then another pyro? is that gonna add to the ignite dmg for combustion? we are on the first raid boss, me and the other fire mage pretty much have the same gear (full heroics) but he is usually 10k dps above me, and i notice his combustion dmg is pretty high.
    TLR, how to max dps as fire mage?

First of all I'm not an A+ mage but this is how I score some big combustions. In your rotation you use IB to proc pyroblast after a heat up, which you are supposed to, however IB doesn't do a lot of damage thus it's ignite should not be in combustion, it's not meant to do damage its just meant to proc pyroblast, so after you proc pyroblast with it channel another fireball, it will have a bigger ignite than IB and if it crits it will only give you a heat up, not waste your pyroblast proc. Crit or not after the fireball I use the instant pyroblast from the proc, then the pyroblast from the POM, then combustion.
    Two things can happen
    the fireball after the IB will crit, and then the pyroblast may or may not crit as well, if it does you will be given another pyroblast! right after you used the other proc, use that, but not the POM for the third pyroblast. The reason is this, in order for this to happen you had to get really lucky with the crits, the fireball crit, and the first pyroblast crit, and the third may or may not have, if you use the POM for the 4th spell the ignite from the crit fireball will fall off, which you want for the combustion.

The other is the fireball and first pyroblast will not crit together, use the POM pyroblast after the fireball and first pyro, then combustion.

The first scenario has a MUCH higher combustion, but rarely happens and waiting around for it to happen is just wasting combustion.

Two things to note, pyroblast! goes before using a POM plain pyroblast, meaning it will choose to use pyroblast! before POM pyroblast. Since this is true I have POM macrod into my pyroblast since the first time I use pyroblast will be after a pyroblast! proc, which will cause 2 instant pyroblasts, which is the best time to use combustion. The cooldowns for these 2 are the same, and if done properly they should always line up.

For the first fight I might suggest this (as a fire mage) for our kill we had one tank have 2, and the other had only one. The solo one gets a buff that reduces damage done to it by 90% so if you are tab dotting don't... and don't dps it, always go for the group ones and for those I always try to spread combustion to the other, and big crits (which you will anyway since you will use IB after a crit anyway to proc pyroblast.) I don't know if it is worth using IB to spread lB when you refresh it since if you get a crit in the next 3 seconds you won't have IB up to proc pyroblast, but it may be worth it, You would need a pro math mage to figure that out :P. Hope it helps!

Heating Up > IB > Alter Time > Pyro! > Alter Time (reset) > Pyro! > Combustion

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulski View Post
    Pretty sure thats a bad idea. 6 seconds more of TW, procs and whatever else you might have up > one pyro

Quote Originally Posted by Pulski View Post
    Anyone confirm or deny this

Quote Originally Posted by Manarama View Post
    Anyone confirm or deny this
    Deny. Alter time is a max value spell. You want it to return you PoM + Pyro! + Heating up so you can Pyro + IB + Pyro + PoM Pyro -> reset -> Pyro -> PoM Pyro -> combust

ALSO, like Tirac said, using it while you have all of this + time warp is best case scenario.
    Last edited by Fxck; 2012-10-04 at 12:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fxck View Post
    Deny. Alter time is a max value spell. You want it to return you PoM + Pyro! + Heating up so you can Pyro + IB + Pyro + PoM Pyro -> reset -> Pyro -> PoM Pyro -> combust

ALSO, like Tirac said, using it while you have all of this + time warp is best case scenario.

This. You want those 4 back to back pyro's, Could even get 6.

Deleted
    first of all. Use the search function.

you are all wrong. some more than others =)

Refer to this Link
    the basic idea is to have both !pyro and heating up. then start casting fireball ->!pyro if any of the 2 crits you will gain another !pyro from the Heating up you had. See #12 in the link for why this is the case.

As for the Alter time. you should use it with !pyro + invocation/other proc/potions Above 6 secounds. best case scenario is all of your proc/buffs +!pyro and heating up. though just aim for !pyro invocation and 1-2 procs. and ofc combustion off cd or within 4-6 sec.

As for using PoM (really you should have scorch imo.) it gives less damage than a !pyro so it will be a decrease to your ignite. unless !pyro did not crit and Pompyro did crit.

Deleted
    I hate it when my IB-proc pops up to use to proc Pyro, but my cast of Fireball is still casting, and when the cast of the Fireball is ready, the IB-proc just went off... So there I am, waiting for my FireballB to finish cast, hit IB, but then I just missed it My IB is then on cooldown and all I can do is Firebolt again to start over. Maybe I have to little haste to make sure everytime the IB is rdy to proc that I will make it after I finished my Fireball cast...

It feels like a bug sometimes.

And, the AoE of fire realy sucks these days. In HC's I fail on dps compared to all other classes including the Tank
    All I can do is LivingBomb a few mobs, use my Flamestrike and Arcane Explode them, maybe use a IB-proc to Pyro in between and use Combustion, but it sill sucks in DPS.
    Maybe I am doing something wrong here?
    Last edited by mmocf08192276f; 2012-10-04 at 09:33 AM.