Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Windwalker Raiding Experience

The purpose of this thread is for the community to provide feedback on YOUR raiding experience and to offer tips for fellow monks.

Preface
    I cleared 4/6 Mogu'Shan-25 on my WW monk last night. My other WW monk buddy (who I leveled with) and I were consistently in the top 5 dps. On one fight, we were in 1st and 2nd place. I raid in a US top 200 guild. My Armory***

Tips/Suggestions
    I believe learning to play a WW monk in a raiding environment has a large learning curve because of a few reasons;

1) Mobility - Yes, I know it seems strange to mention this, but the fact we have a LOT of mobility doesn't mean every monk will use it properly. Overshooting your roll past a boss, or using your Flying Serpent Kick too early on Feng The Accursed can spell disaster.

2) GCD Lock - The WW monk rotation in a raid situation is extremely active. Having to keep up buffs and short cooldowns such as Tiger Power x3, RSK, Tigers Eye Brew, Energizing brew, and making sure you aren't energy caped all the while avoiding raid mechanics can be intense. You will be GCD locked. This means that every second you will have something important to press with little to no time to think especially when fire is under your butt. Really, the only way to help solve this issue is to understand your rotation inside and out. Mihir's guide is the best WW monk guide on the internet hands down, so go give it a read!

Final Thoughts
    Windwalkers have a lot of design flaws that I feel need addressing. Our expensive interrupt without a glyph option, FoF root for a mobility designed class/spec, and lack of raid utility are critical, however as of now, I thoroughly enjoy the playstyle of the windwalker and look forward to seeing more raid content in the future

*** I mention damage rankings because I feel the overall opinion of windwalker monks in the raiding community is VERY low. Most of this is due to the fact that, while monks have almost zero raid utility (buffs/raid CD's), their simed damage is middle of the pack making them less then ideal to choose over, say, a feral druid. I would also like to point out Blizzard has said the current sims are inaccurate.

Armory
    Guild
    Last edited by PublicVoid; 2012-10-03 at 01:39 PM.

My guildmate is wondering if you used a Polearm or Dual Wield before you got that one you have now, also if you have any other tips for our first raid in 10-man.

I was DW up until the Four Kings encounter when my bonus roll got me that polearm. My nights damage was based off using two Crescent of Ichor's.

As for advice for your first raid; raid cooldowns - use them! I personally think the hardest fight was the second fight 'Feng the Accursed' simply because it has a high volume of raid wide damage. I suggest, after each Epicenter, meeting back in the center of the room and poping a raid CD while healing your ass off. Besides just reading up on the fights, make sure you have consumables (Flasks, food, and potions *for pre-poting as well*). While this is common sense, it's even more critical now because, like everyone else, you're going into a raid with mostly blues. To beat some of the enrage timers you need a lot of dps, so make sure you get that little extra from consumables.

Thanks, i meant tips as in for my Monk friend but thanks anyway

You asked for "tips for our first raid in 10-man". You can see the confusion yes?

I would say the biggest tip would be to forget using FoF if you're new or not used to the WW rotation. It's an incredibly small percent (1%~) of your total damage but an increase none the less. However, rooting yourself in place can be bad for inexperienced players, so I recommend just ignoring FoF till you feel comfortable with the spec.

Line up your cooldowns. Our level 90 talent Xuen is like the DK gargoyle (correct me if I'm wrong) and it's damage is based on the stats you have at the time of summoning him. This means trying to line up your Tigers Eye Brew, Potions, Synapse springs, trinket procs, etc and THEN popping Xuen.

**Edit** Apparently, Xuen has been proven over and over and over again to dynamically update its damage based on your stats. However, lining up cooldowns with Energizing Brew, lust/hero, and ICD's are still recommended.
    Last edited by PublicVoid; 2012-10-03 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Byronyk View Post
    You asked for "tips for our first raid in 10-man". You can see the confusion yes?

I would say the biggest tip would be to forget using FoF if you're new or not used to the WW rotation. It's an incredibly small percent (1%~) of your total damage but an increase none the less. However, rooting yourself in place can be bad for inexperienced players, so I recommend just ignoring FoF till you feel comfortable with the spec.

Line up your cooldowns. Our level 90 talent Xuen is like the DK gargoyle (correct me if I'm wrong) and it's damage is based on the stats you have at the time of summoning him. This means trying to line up your Tigers Eye Brew, Potions, Synapse springs, trinket procs, etc and THEN popping Xuen.
    Xuen dynamically updates... and has been proven so over and over and over.

any good uses of touch of karma? does it last for one complete epicentre ?

It doesn't work for some abilities (including epicenter). It does work for the majority of abilities though. I mainly used it to help healers during periods of raid damage such as Wildfire Infusion during Feng the Accursed. Honestly, for the first 4 bosses, the vast majority of the damage is avoidable, but if you do take damage it will likely kill you. The Spirit Kings fight is the perfect example (Warlord Kinds Annihilate/Flanking Order).

On the second spirit king you CAN use ToK on Sobotai Swiftfoots volley and on the third spirit king Zian of the Endless Shadow you CAN use ToK on Undying Shadows.

I caution the use of ToK. It's damage is great, but I prefer it as a personal 'oh-shit' button to avoid damage. This will become even more important come hard modes. Also, I suggest using Defuse magic for Mogu'Shun. Using it to avoid magic damage during the Staff phase of Feng the Accursed or Shadow Blast/Charged Shadows (interruptable) on the last spirit king is great.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    It was working on Epicenter for me? At least the tool tip had the 75k~ dot on him.

The other monk in our group tried it and said it failed. I admit I didn't try it myself based on his experience, so I'll test it next week. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Byronyk View Post
    I was DW up until the Four Kings encounter when my bonus roll got me that polearm. My nights damage was based off using two Crescent of Ichor's.

As for advice for your first raid; raid cooldowns - use them! I personally think the hardest fight was the second fight 'Feng the Accursed' simply because it has a high volume of raid wide damage. I suggest, after each Epicenter, meeting back in the center of the room and poping a raid CD while healing your ass off. Besides just reading up on the fights, make sure you have consumables (Flasks, food, and potions *for pre-poting as well*). While this is common sense, it's even more critical now because, like everyone else, you're going into a raid with mostly blues. To beat some of the enrage timers you need a lot of dps, so make sure you get that little extra from consumables.
    Don't forget to Touch of Karma up to two Epicenters, the damage is pretty sweet and the absorb gives you a smidge of time to get back to the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by Fudge View Post
    Don't forget to Touch of Karma up to two Epicenters, the damage is pretty sweet and the absorb gives you a smidge of time to get back to the middle.
    For our raid, in terms of helping out the massive AoE damage going out, it was better for us to ignore ToK as an offensive tool but rather a defensive one to protect against Wildfire Infusion and/or the staff phase AoE. Perhaps using it once and hoping your dps doesn't push it over to the next phase might work, but for progression sake it might be better as a defensive utility.

Hey yall Rab here (http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...n/Rab/advanced) from us #21 guild TM

A few things to note is that WW monk does not scale incredibly well with gear which means we will fall off more and more as the tier progresses. That being said, our spot within a raid is in jeopardy because WW monks have to work twice as hard to be half as good. What I mean by this is that with Perfect or near perfect play, a windwalker monk's "dps ceiling" is very low compared to others. It was a concern of mine and other top guild's ww monks in beta that Blizzard had no real model or plan for the way windwalker would play within a raid. These fears have now come to light as we do not have the utility to be "shamanesque" nor the dps to be a pure damage dealer. Where does this leave us? Well for most non exceptional players, you will be riding a lot of pine in the coming months. I have no doubt that blizzard will continue to tune and refine the WW monk but as of now, perfect play may not even cut it. This is apparent in PvP as well where our stuns are basically "skill shots" and the rampup time to get damage rolling is far too much.

Touch of Karma does work for Epicenter, however you have to apply it before he begins channeling as it will miss due to the debuff.

Gotta say I loved the self damage mitigation on Feng. Epicenters go Bubble -> Touch of Karma -> Bubble -> Diffuse Magic -> Bubble. Only 6th Epicenter will do any significant damage to you.

If your guild likes the fact that you won't die, will heal the raid quite a bit with Zen Sphere you might be alright. But considering that once again this tier largely favors Ranged DPS and that Monk is one of the weakest melee... Have fun. I'm starting to regret the reroll

You have two major flaws there Fredz:

1) Tier 1 favors ranged. While this might be true against other melee, the mobility of monks allows for extremely high uptime. Right now on I'm working on Elegon and I'm toping meters while having to switch to the adds.

2) Monk is the weakest melee. Why? I'm in the top 5 (currently #1 on Elegon). Their personal survivbility is very high with defuse magic/fort brew/roll/flying crane kick. The only place they lack is raid utility (albiet a very important factor).

Monks are far from the worst.

#1 on Elegon? I bet you aren't on bitch duty like most melee should be. There's no way in hell you are #1 if you are #3 dmg on the adds (which I am and which is my job). Unless I'm missing some kind of buff, I don't see how exactly I'm supposed to compete with any kind of class that can sit on the boss full time or any ranged.

---------- Post added 2012-10-03 at 09:21 PM ----------

And being #1 dps doesn't exactly mean you are doing better then me if your job is to sit on the boss or if your overall raid DPS is shit.

My job is to focus the boss till the large add comes out, switch and kill it (reset stack), go back to boss and continue till next phase. During phase 2, I am assigned to a position to kill the pylon adds. More or less the job of every other dps in the entire raid.

I don't see any 'boss sitting' since every dps has the same role.

http://i.imgur.com/GSfEn.jpg

^ I'm pandamoneum if you didn't see my armory.

Well see, I'm #16 in my raid doing 525 less DPS.