Deleted

Looking for a good mmorpg to play.

Yeah, this questions has been asked a million times here, probably. But I hope you will bear with me for one more time..

Anyway, I've tried tera, which has terrible enchanting. No real endgame. And the community is disgusting, quite frankly which put me off the game, despite the rest of the game actually being really really good.

Guildwars 2, which everyone is so hyped about has a lack of endgame as well, and tbh I like gear progression so I am guessing it isn't for me.

That leaves me with 3 real considerations in games to play (that I know of, there might be more if so I am hoping you will point me in the direction)

What is important to me in order from most to least important in an mmorpg:
    Pve Endgame, quality but also quantity.

Population, I hate playing in an empty world which tera is (outside nexus, which is a copypaste of the rift system)

Pvp quality, I really like wow pvp and tera has decent pvp as well, in my opinion rift is way to imbalanced pvp wise (or was in january when I played still)
    Community attitude. To give you an example of what I mean:

In Tera if people are better geared than you when you sign for instances, even if you outgear the instance you sign for. They kick you. If you are the same class or need the same items as them. They kick you. If someone runs next to you while leveling and you are dying they laugh and stand on your corpse dancing. (to be fair the last point isnt accurate as I didnt run into that many people during my leveling of tera)

Wow:
    from my pov:

Pros:
    High population even though it's declined to half or so it's still a huge community.
    Endgame decent, not the best but typically enough to keep me busy.
    Pvp usually fun and balanced compared to many games.

Cons:
    I've played it for at least 5 years, therefore I fear I will burn out quickly.
    Blizzard hating ret paladins which is my favorit class/role (mhm kind of a joke but still, ret paladins will know where I am coming from)

Swtor.

I literally know nothing of this game, some people say it lacks endgame others say it doesn't. I honestly can't tell which group is right.

Rift.

I've played rift before, but I never really got seriously into it, like getting a proper guild and gearing myself up and trying the raiding.

Honest to god (or me if you prefer.) Is rift worth dedicating my time to if I really get into it and try getting a guild and everything that follows? And are the servers empty. I can see they are either low or medium with not a single server at high. But this isn't numbers or an accurate description, because high could mean 500.000 per server for all I know, which would be insane, while medium could be 250.000 which is still high. So I would rather rely on people who actually play it to estimate.

I am looking for both people who are negative about the game for whatever reason and people who are positive, but mostly people who are objective and can give me an accurate view on whether or not I should reattempt this game.

Pve end game = Rift owns plain and simple along with the content release rate it never gets old
    Population: Roll Wolfsbane or Deepwood. Come Storm Legion release these servers will have queue's to log in
    Pvp: More competitive now because more people are geared, plus easier methods to get gear, also Conquest 3 faction pvp is better then BG 2 faction by 10,000 miles. This is subjective opinion though

PvE endgame: I'm not a raider anymore, I just reached a point about 1,5 years ago where I got kinda burned out on gaming. So I stopped raiding when I transitioned to some casual Rift. But as I managed to grab a social spot in a pretty decent raiding guild, I have had a few runs here and there, and I can honestly say it's the best I can imagine on the market right now. The raids have a very good settings, a lot of fun mechanics on the bosses, only one mode (which is more than hard enough for each new tier) and each raid are either 10 or 20 man (So they don't have to tune for 2 different set ups, I think this is pretty key)

Population: Population isn't anything like WoW on world basis. The game seems more popular in the US than EU. But as you said/guessed, medium servers have more than enough people on them. I'm playing on Icewatch EU which is the only "high" english server as of today, and it's way too packed at times. It's fun and frustrating as hell at the same time when like 4-5 raids band together on the last boss of a zone event. No experience with low pop servers, but I think some are close to ghost towns because everyone migrated away, while some are healthy enough to remain stable.

Pvp: To me it's just casual fun. It isn't, and I doubt it will be, as balanced as wow pvp. But 1v1/2v2/5v5 battles are not really an important part of the pvp. It's all about teamwork and/or big battles. Remains to be seen where they go with it in SL, the silence from Trion on that front has been awfully loud.

Community: A+. People are really nice, the few trolls who break out of their caves usually don't get fed too much. Free weekends can be a pain tho, a lot of trolls from other games who log on to spew crap about Rift in public channels. Mostly while out in the open I see people keep to themselves. But I feel like we help each other out where needed, and there is way less "ninja tagging" of mobs than in for instance WoW.

GL on your decision, hope you at least give SL a shot.
    "You disgust me"- Grandma

I just want to say that I admire the honesty and views you put forward in your post.

To answer your questions objectively, I submit my experiences to you and you can decide what is in your best interest

Positives:

- The Rift Community is, from an objective standpoint, the very best I have witnessed in any MMO. In the year I've been in the game, I've only ever once run across the "lol yousucknub gear dpsmmkk" types. I have never been kicked from a dungeon and I've played causally without setting foot into a single raid up until very recently.

- Rift Updates its game every 2 months with loaded content patches. You heard that right. Most patches have either introduced Raids or game changing features, with several even being introduced via hotfixes (Please feel free to click the link on my signature for a full overview of how the game has changed). you easily get the biggest bang for your buck. and committing to long term subscriptions reduces the price of the sub by significant margins.

- Many individuals speculate that RIft's endgame is the very best in the MMO sphere from a PVE standpoint. I would suggest you look at Hammerknell as an example of both the visuals and boss mechanics (plenty of youtube links to observe). Boss encounters are never boring and the flexibility of the soul system means you can play as Melee DPS, Ranged DPS, Heals, Tank or Pure Support, and/or a Hybrid of any of these.

- TRION has consolidated Servers and improved server architecture. I'm in a guild with 500 people on EU in a realm that is consistently listed as Low POP. Trion has also done away with factions, basically doubling the number of people to do things with on each realm. you can raid, do dungeons, and invite members of opposite faction to your guild. Queue times and Pugs fill up almost instantly.

- The new expansion is slated to triple the size of the existing world and introduces new features at endgame such as Massive PVE boss battles and player/guild housing. This means that if these features appeal to you, you can literally spend your time designing a house for yourself or your guild with creation tools that are modeled after the same tools the developers use to create content. (you can actually have thunder/lightning effects in your personal dimension (house).

- Zone Invasions and Rifts seriously detract from your ability to do whatever you plan to in game. this is a really really good thing since every time you log in you find yourself wishing you had more time to do what you wanted in the first place. I mean it, I can't finish dailies on some days because Zone after Zone invasions consume my time and the currency and rewards for completing those objectives and Killing the open world bosses are worth the effort.

Negatives:

- Rift is grind heavy. Reputations, PvP prestige (ranks) and acquiring raid gear (if you do it without a guild) can literally take you ages. literally, no joke here. you do not have the option of equipping tabards to get gear in dungeons. This can be demotivating and occasionally people are very unhappy about it.

- The diversity in souls (plus the introductions of news ones, we are getting range DPS warriors and Melee Mages with scythes!!!) means that balance in PvP is very difficult to achieve and while it isn't game breaking, some people are very harsh in their review of Rift on his aspect alone.

- You need a decent PC to enjoy the game. older PC's run the game very poorly and it looks like garbage. It is absolutely breath taking on a high end PC.

- Mature Community sometimes means you get left alone and it feels empty (even though it isn't) I don't care about this, but some people I know have. they actually find it odd /eerie that they can log into the game and be guildless and not get spammed non-stop with guild invites. to each his own.

- Some of the Specs have been accused of not being viable. I play a cleric and mage and find a use for each and every single spec, but some players find that DPS differences between say a defilemancer and an Elemental Summoner are really high. (in reality the difference is between 300 to 600 dps, and high end guilds have stated that this is acceptable to them) but you still find that this is a valid criticism, as for example, the Dominator class (which is a pure PvP control spec) isn't usable at all in a PvE environment.

-The game can be daunting since there really isn't a heavy duty support community for it outside the official threads or websites such as Rift Junkies or Rift.Zam.

I hope this helps. I think this reply is about as objective as anyone can ever really get. Bottom line is, the game is absolutely worth it and continues to set standards for what you can expect from an MMO developer. Trion Spoils you and most of us here find ourselves unable to accept standards set by other developers for what they charge for a sub fee.
    Last edited by Antipathy; 2012-10-03 at 11:01 PM.
    {I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. }

In all honesty, i haven't really raided, as raiding in rift requires a TON more dedication than in other games i have played. that being said, i run around as a tanking cleric doing Instant Adventures, Chronicles, and Rifts. The gameplay is fun, but its nothing new ( and in some cases, nothing exciting either). What keeps me playing is the fact that the game has SO MUCH solo'able/small group content, that it feels like there isn't ever nothing to do.

Crafting is a bit of a raw spot for me, as for me, going out and mining/gathering is hard to get motivated for. i usually end up just running around doing IA's or Rifts every time i try to dedicate my time to farming crafting mats. Buying the mats for certain crafted items can be expensive, but crafted items in this game actually are very helpful, usually the top tier crafted items are entry level gear for the current or last tier raids ( making it a little easier to gear into raids). and the materials to make your weekly crafting item is usually easily attainable from crafting rifts and short gathering session throughout the week.

What kills me in this game, and about the only thing that really...for lack of a better words, "upsets" me, is the CONSTANT reworking of pvp. It's a great thing, dont get me wrong. but EVERY TIME i finally get used to a pvp mechanic, they throw in something new, or do an overhaul, or change gear ranks. Then again, Rifts pve more than makes up for it.

Also, i LOVE the class variety. 4 classes, but those four classes break down into 6 tanking souls( two of those 6 are cleric and rouge souls), 4 healing souls(1 in mage), 3 support souls ( 2 mage 1 rouge), and 19 dps souls ( spread across the classes). Thats a total of 32 souls, 8 souls for each class ( soon to be 9, mind you!) that can all be interchanged in groupings of 3. An example is that you can be a Elementalist/chloromance/dominater (dps/heals/support) and spread your points in them however you like. I'm not saying it will be super effective, but it can be done. the class customization is just that diverse.

On and even less serious note, i love glowy tanky cleric <3

Deleted
    Well +1 for the community at least, 3 posts all on point of my original topic, nobody flaming for asking questions. That's nice! I was tbh expecting a lot of people flaming me for asking this particular question. Also fast replies! Means the forum is active which I'm sure translates into the game being active as well!

Antipathy, just wanted to add - you're amazing that was more or less exactly what I was looking for.

Edit: 4 didn't update before replying, sorry Kantor!
    Last edited by mmoceaf97e6d30; 2012-10-03 at 10:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthets View Post
    Well +1 for the community at least, 3 posts all on point of my original topic, nobody flaming for asking questions. That's nice! I was tbh expecting a lot of people flaming me for asking this particular question. Also fast replies! Means the forum is active which I'm sure translates into the game being active as well!

Antipathy, just wanted to add - you're amazing that was more or less exactly what I was looking for.

wish I could cut out the stuff not relevant to what I'm replying to, on my. Phone though so no dice:-/. But yes, the community is typically mild mannered. Though, even rifts can create trolls •.•

Quote Originally Posted by Synthets View Post

Happy to help. Just wanted to advise that the game does offer a Rift Lite version (level up to 20) for free, which you can try before buying. you can try a new feature called Instant Adventures (think LFR but for quests - which is absolutely a blast and so much fun) and you can experiment with talking to the community. Another negative I should have added is that Outside of epic quest chains (there are several incredible ones), a few quests aren't very well designed and you can find yourself unhappy with them.

However, you can level up via: Bg's, Instant Adventures, Traditional Questing, Zone Events, Rifts, and dungeons. feel free to mix it up, you can actually get to end game in less than /30 hours played. (some people have done it in less).

Another Positive however (and this is a reference to kantor) is the chronicles - which are single/duo dungeons - so much damn fun - and there are dailies associated with them. these can help you gear for dungeons without needing anyone's support and provide you with insights into the game's lore and history) You also continue to gain Experience past level 50 which goes into a planar attunement feature that allows you to level stats, gain abilities, and even teleport features to certain zones - you always feel attached to your toon.

Also, the epic quests and the title system (prefix and Suffix titles - for example, Sir Antipathy, Merchant of Death) are quite fun to obtain.
    {I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. }

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trlz View Post
    PvE endgame: I'm not a raider anymore, I just reached a point about 1,5 years ago where I got kinda burned out on gaming. So I stopped raiding when I transitioned to some casual Rift. But as I managed to grab a social spot in a pretty decent raiding guild, I have had a few runs here and there, and I can honestly say it's the best I can imagine on the market right now. The raids have a very good settings, a lot of fun mechanics on the bosses, only one mode (which is more than hard enough for each new tier) and each raid are either 10 or 20 man (So they don't have to tune for 2 different set ups, I think this is pretty key)

Population: Population isn't anything like WoW on world basis. The game seems more popular in the US than EU. But as you said/guessed, medium servers have more than enough people on them. I'm playing on Icewatch EU which is the only "high" english server as of today, and it's way too packed at times. It's fun and frustrating as hell at the same time when like 4-5 raids band together on the last boss of a zone event. No experience with low pop servers, but I think some are close to ghost towns because everyone migrated away, while some are healthy enough to remain stable.

Pvp: To me it's just casual fun. It isn't, and I doubt it will be, as balanced as wow pvp. But 1v1/2v2/5v5 battles are not really an important part of the pvp. It's all about teamwork and/or big battles. Remains to be seen where they go with it in SL, the silence from Trion on that front has been awfully loud.

Community: A+. People are really nice, the few trolls who break out of their caves usually don't get fed too much. Free weekends can be a pain tho, a lot of trolls from other games who log on to spew crap about Rift in public channels. Mostly while out in the open I see people keep to themselves. But I feel like we help each other out where needed, and there is way less "ninja tagging" of mobs than in for instance WoW.

GL on your decision, hope you at least give SL a shot.
    Honestly? I found myself heavily nodding my head to this post. Only thing I'd add/change, is that people tend to actually be pretty helpful out in the world, closing a rift? Folks passing by will likely stop and help out, whether or not it's because they want to help YOU out personally, doesn't really matter, it's not like they join, hate on you for closing a rift, but help anyways, they join quietly, help out, say thanks, and leave.

Rift community is the absolute best I've ever seen. Back when I was playing WoW, we'd always have people complaining, at max level, long-time players, and not just a few people, A LOT of people, but Rift players? We are genuinely very very VERY happy with Rift.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    but Rift players? We are genuinely very very VERY happy with Rift.
    Until we start posting on the official forums, then we're whiny haters who can't appreciate a good thing (MMO-C forums participants excluded, of course).

Synthets,

PVE Raiding: Rift raiding is top notch. It's got the old TBC era feel to raids, and with a single level of difficulty that can require weeks of tedium while practicing the latter boss fights.
    PvE Other: Too many options, and more on the way. Trion really provides players a reason to go out and do something.
    PvP: Poll 100 players and the majority will tell you this is Rift's weak spot. As i don't PvP, I can't go into too much detail, but between adding 3 faction Conquest and their initial attempts to normalize ALL PvP, Trion really is wiling to take risks and go above and beyond. There's blame to go around for why things aren't as great as the raid scene for the PvPers, but I wouldn't lay it all at the feet of Trion; players seeking shortcuts or bound to tradition are as much (or more) to blame.

As for populations, there's only one server I've checked out (NA) that was pretty much barren, and that was a few months ago. Between building excitement for the upcoming expansion and the general get-out-and-do-something attitude of the majority of Rift players, you'd have to visit a mid-range level zone to find NO ONE around you. Even then, I still see other folk in zones like Scarlet Gorge.

10+ Year Old Account
    rift has its pros and cons
    I do like the communtiy to a extent but beign a oceanic player servers tend to die off at a certain time of night alot like the way warhammer degraded
    that said you can never avoid the general internet douchebaggery and rift has its fair share
    I never raided i didnt like the fact you get pushed into certain cookie cutter builds for heriocs ( or at least when i had a fair shot at it a long time ago things have changed slightly)
    the pvp is incredibly imbalanced all for all the things Trion do right this is not one of them ie riftstalker warriors running rapant
    Rift does give a incredible amount of content for a sub which is amazing better than you see from wow in a year released in a few months i have returned a few times but its never enough to hook me completly , something always feels lacking
    Last edited by Window; 2012-10-04 at 03:45 AM.
    If everything I do is wrong then by god ill do it right

Something i did not even think about till i logged on today, is that Rift has many, many tools for finding a guild. You can pretty much search by whatever category you wish, so its super easy to find a guild that right for you, especially now that guilds are, in fact, cross faction

Deleted
    Well, Rift seems to be the most rewarding pve and raiding wise if you have time to spend on it.
    Most guilds are raiding guilds, and the problem for them is finding dedicated people... it takes time to gear up and be prepared. However, my impression from Rift is that if you show interest it's no problem what so ever finding a serious guild. They will be friendly and help everything they can to get you geared so you can join them in raiding progress. A friendly community, and if you got time to kill and are a serious player you will probably have tons to do in Rift and also feel rewarded for time spent. End game raids seem hard to complete and provide a great challenge and if you down that last end boss you and your guild will be noticed on servers everywhere.
    Also server swapping is easy and very common, servers run out of people every now and then and guilds move to others. This is done instant and is free of charge which means you are never forced to be left alone on a dying server.

---------- Post added 2012-10-04 at 09:29 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kantor View Post
    Something i did not even think about till i logged on today, is that Rift has many, many tools for finding a guild. You can pretty much search by whatever category you wish, so its super easy to find a guild that right for you, especially now that guilds are, in fact, cross faction
    Hehe you dont even have to search. When I played, and I played pvp only, countless raiding guilds shouted "omg, we need a mage, come raid with us". When I first started playing I joined a raiding guild, and all the time they asked if I wanted help gearing up, boosts through dungeons, if I wanted to come raid rifts and so on. But then I only pvp:ed and got limited game time. However if I did want to raid and had lots of time I would have been able to get help and play and raid like a maniac :P

Deleted
    A note here from someone who only does PvP, it's not the most balanced but then again with the choice of souls I can decide how I want to play sometimes in a warfront it's not just who can kill the fastest I have 4 main specs stone runner, support , tank and pure dps and one good thing is I could have raiding specs on top of them if I wanted to. Sure there are some crazy combos that are the go too choice but I have found that with a bit of changing specs which you can do anytime out of combat one person can make a whole lot of difference. In short I can play how I wish and I have to think of strategies which to me is better than omg let them win we are one stone down finish it so I can re queue mentality that I witnessed in another game, people fight to the last . Finally don't see any bots and very very few afk. Hope this helps

Cons:
    I've played it for at least 5 years, therefore I fear I will burn out quickly.
    Blizzard hating ret paladins which is my favorit class/role (mhm kind of a joke but still, ret paladins will know where I am coming from)
    Hmmmm yep <----------------------------- Points @ avatar. Stopped when they changed it to HOLY POWER. Up until then I still liked it. They made it OP for a while, even when DK's were first created and before they got NERFED. in 2v2 arena when my partner was down I 1 vs 2 of em and the DK came back as a zombie and beaten by a whisker. Thats pretty leet LOOoooOOOL!

Anyway side tracked.

Pretty new here in RIFT highest lvl toon is L 18 but I am enjoying it after 6 years of WoW.
    The different classes are more interesting, a greater variety, a lot more SKILL trees/combos you can make.
    The open RIFTS, instant adventuring are unique, different ways to level.

But thats all I know and and enjoying it so much more than GW2 after the first few levels already. I guess GW2 just wasn't my style of MMO.

Check this site out, it's still starting out but has a decent list of games so far

mmogameportal .com

To piggyback onto this thread, now that Storm Legion is out, I have a few questions that I hope seasoned rifters can help answer for me. I have played Rift before up until Akylios so I am somewhat familiar with both what raids are like and how the game plays in terms of gear progression. I'm wondering: with the new expansion, has Trion adjusted or changed the movement mechanics at all. 1) One of the major things for me that turned me off to Rift was the perceived clunkiness of the movement. For the sake of argument, if WoW is used as a reference point where movement is completely responsive - to me Rift is about a half step behind. I always felt like my characters movement lagged behind what I actually wanted him to do and not in a frame rate kind of way. 2) The second major thing that eventually got to me was the extensive macro-ing of 3-5 abilities into one button (with multiple macros of this type) that was essentially standard in alot of ways to play effectively. Does this remain the standard for combat mechanics with Storm Legion? If anyone is able to provide some insight that would be awesome! =D.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandrra2012 View Post
    To piggyback onto this thread, now that Storm Legion is out, I have a few questions that I hope seasoned rifters can help answer for me. I have played Rift before up until Akylios so I am somewhat familiar with both what raids are like and how the game plays in terms of gear progression. I'm wondering: with the new expansion, has Trion adjusted or changed the movement mechanics at all. 1) One of the major things for me that turned me off to Rift was the perceived clunkiness of the movement. For the sake of argument, if WoW is used as a reference point where movement is completely responsive - to me Rift is about a half step behind. I always felt like my characters movement lagged behind what I actually wanted him to do and not in a frame rate kind of way. 2) The second major thing that eventually got to me was the extensive macro-ing of 3-5 abilities into one button (with multiple macros of this type) that was essentially standard in alot of ways to play effectively. Does this remain the standard for combat mechanics with Storm Legion? If anyone is able to provide some insight that would be awesome! =D.
    Heya,

Not sure how to answer point one since its very subjective. My experience is the exact inverse, so I'm not sure I can help ya.

2. http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-Guide-to-Rift - Please refer to the macro Section in that link, as well as the How can I Return Section. You can try SL for free from the 14th - 18th December