Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrouded View Post
    I firmly believe that consumers need to educate themselves more about the products they buy - especially in the case of gamers - but I don't believe that's an excuse for publishers to overhype their games.
    It's the publishers job to control public opinion as best they can, hype the game and or new content in a timely manner, lower expectations if the hype is getting out of control, swing negative views around if possible or at the very least push them towards neutral ground and so on, something EA/BW seem to be quite bad at.

Like no publisher would ever overhype their product... tv advertisement should have told everyone a lesson by now. . Consumers should know that you have to look past the sunshine and rainbows to get a grip how the game is going to be. If you did this part, the game came out exactly as it was promised in between the lines. A lot of people were bored and angry with Blizzard and wanted to have something which would not only hook themselves but also everyone they know only to backpaddle when it didn't. I actually do enjoy different views but people only complaining about how bad the game is because basically none of their friends is playing it... well there is nothing much to be said about. Self confidence isn't that strong anymore unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by jbombard View Post
    Actually if this happened even if the employee didn't directly blame the manager, if it caused the employee to become unmotivated and less productive, or even caused them to quit, it would be the fault of the manager, and that manager would get a good ass chewing if he worked for me. Believe, it or not a managers primary job is to train and motivate employees to keep them happy and productive, there is also a lot of other work a manager may be required to do based on the job but a manager who can't keep employees motivated and productive will be a detriment to your business.
    Are you in a leading position then? Somehow what you wrote is not what happens in most companies because the manager surely has to keep the workers happy but not to an extend that they can do whatever they want, not to mention that there is literally no reason to raise someones salary extensively high if you can get other people doing the same job for less money.

We can stop this discussion if you don't mind.
    Last edited by Psychlon; 2012-10-04 at 06:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
    It's the publishers job to control public opinion as best they can, hype the game and or new content in a timely manner, lower expectations if the hype is getting out of control, swing negative views around if possible or at the very least push them towards neutral ground and so on, something EA/BW seem to be quite bad at.
    Right, exactly. The negative backlash directed at BioWare comes from two sources, the first being that the EA/BioWare combo always overhypes their games - their PR department only pushes hype upwards, they do very little to curb out-of-control anticipations that they themselves created. Of course that's going to lead to disappointed and ticked off fans.

The second source of negative backlash is the fact that BioWare moved on. They're not the same company that made Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights and KotOR, nor do they make the same type of games any more. Yet, as they didn't really inform their fans about this, it has created a schism in their own community. There are a lot of people who expect them to make games they no longer make, intermixed with people who have fully embraced the new BioWare. This makes for a volatile community, putting it lightly.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychlon View Post
    Are you in a leading position then? Somehow what you wrote is not what happens in most companies because the manager surely has to keep the workers happy but not to an extend that they can do whatever they want, not to mention that there is literally no reason to raise someones salary extensively high if you can get other people doing the same job for less money.

We can stop this discussion if you don't mind.
    I am actually, and I have attended several leadership schools, some when I was in the military and others when I joined the private sector(required for my position at the company I worked for at the time). The problem wasn't that the manager didn't raise the salary extensively high, the problem was that he made a promise he should have known he couldn't keep and undermined the trust relationship with his employees. But yes we are going a bit off topic, so better to leave it at that.

I knew he was gone. I posted that question here a few weeks ago and people told me he was just hiding from the public.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Holy s... they are dropping like flies in there, wonder if this will affect the Freemium model

Does not surprise me at all, all the responsibles will be gone sooner or later, they're probably too expensive and they failed to make the game a huge financial success. there is no reason to keep them.

His tweets so far have been pretty stern. He seems pretty adamant against F2P; I guess he took it badly (not that that's a bad thing, who wouldn't when you work so hard on a game) when they had to decide to go F2P.

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

He might not have liked it but Bioware as a whole were looking into that area for a while. I don't see the connection for him to leave as to what he was supposed to do wouldn't be affected that much?!

He might not have liked it but Bioware as a whole were looking into that area for a while. I don't see the connection for him to leave as to what he was supposed to do wouldn't be affected that much?!
    I've read that second sentence two dozen times and I just can't understand it.

IMO i'm glad he's gone, specially after the mess he did with Revan's story

Deleted
    Not a big surprise considering how much of a flop TOR has been since release. Im still amazed to me how badly this game failed, they had all the tools (Bioware being arguably one of the best developers in the world) and one of the biggest franchises in Star Wars yet still managed to make so many mistakes, it's quite shocking really.
    Last edited by mmoceeceb76e25; 2012-10-04 at 10:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    I've read that second sentence two dozen times and I just can't understand it.
    I was asking myself how F2P would have affected his work.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    Things are clearly bad if he was so eager to leave or had to and did so without a new job lined up. Two very basic ways to look at this, maybe all the ppl in charge of the development and opening of SWTOR leaving will help the game with new or better ppl stepping in or look at it like rats leaving a sinking ship. I hope the game gets stronger but this isn't building confidence.
    EA sank SWTOR. ex-bw employees have said just that, they were forced to release early, without proper testing, without proper bug fixes, without the game being ready or even close

EA chose the engine.

bioware is going to be pretty much ruined because of EA

10+ Year Old Account
    lost somewhere in the corn fields of middle America
    Really, really sad to see it go this way. I love the game but its hard to get behind it anymore. It got swallowed up in a negativity train fed by there own extremely stupid decisions and blunders and now we get to this. Every time I see a trailer or log in I think damn this IS a good game.. how the hell did they screw it up this badly.

I don't really see anything bad in people leaving BW. Now they can finally do what they belong to rather than creating subpair games.

Quote Originally Posted by fizzbob View Post
    EA chose the engine.
    I remember bioware guys telling why they chose this particular engine which supposingly lets them include more stuff easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Vexies View Post
    Really, really sad to see it go this way. I love the game but its hard to get behind it anymore. It got swallowed up in a negativity train fed by there own extremely stupid decisions and blunders and now we get to this. Every time I see a trailer or log in I think damn this IS a good game.. how the hell did they screw it up this badly.
    Why do people care so much about "why" someone elses sees this game as a failure. If you like the game and are enjoying playing it... play it.

10+ Year Old Account
    While I shouldn't be surprised I still am. Major bummer.

Why do people care so much about "why" someone elses sees this game as a failure. If you like the game and are enjoying playing it... play it.
    Um. Perhaps you misread what was said? Because your response makes very little sense in regards to it.

---------- Post added 2012-10-04 at 09:26 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    I knew he was gone. I posted that question here a few weeks ago and people told me he was just hiding from the public.
    To be honest, Erickson hadn't been seen since June and Ohlen hadn't been seen since July. Both had been gone for a while. If you had made that assumption about Ohlen, you would have been wrong. You just picked the right guy.

I think we can all agree that Bioware is dead.

biowarEA killed it.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -