Deleted

I need help with gemming, enchanting and reforging arms.

Hello,

In truth, I've never been good at tuning my character so it's optimal. In TBC I left out some very important enchants, and I bought green gems. In WotLK, I was slightly better, but still not good enough. In Cata, I was better, but I PvPed throughout the expansion and when it came to enchanting, gemming and reforging my gear I looked up famous Warriors and copied from them. I'm trying PvE now, and I want to change this.

I've been having a look at the Icy Veins Arms Warrior Guide. There it states that:

The stat priority for an Arms Warrior is:

Expertise Rating (until 7.5%);
    Hit Rating (until 7.5%);
    Strength;
    Critical Strike Rating;
    Haste Rating;
    Mastery Rating.

I understand that, for the most part. But how do I achieve that?

Gemming: I'm not sure if I should gem to max out Exp, Hit, or just stack strenght gems, if you see what I mean. What is the common thing to do and why? Is gemming for that purpose? Is it better to gem for a primary stat or a secondary?

Enchanting: I'm guessing this one is a little easier, since there is only a few things you can actually choose. Bracers for example, there only seems to be enchants for strength. Though I'm probably incorrect on that.

Reforging: This one seems to make more sense to me. I find that it makes sense to change mastery to either exp or hit. Is that the correct thing to do?

Now let's say I've capped my hit and exp. It says that strength is next, followed by crit. Again, how should I go about this? It all comes down to what method I use to achieve the caps, isn't it? If it turns out the correct way is to get capped via gemming, should I then gem some of my gear with hit and then when I'm capped just put strength gems on everything?

Also, I find the concept of going for strength over crit is odd. How do I know when I should be going for crit? When am I finished strength, if you know what I mean.

As you can probably tell, I'm most likely over complicating it a bit and probably missing something crucial. I'd be VERY grateful if someone could explain all of this to me, perhaps starting with the basics. :S

Thanks for your time.
    Last edited by mmoccc3932e217; 2012-10-04 at 07:53 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Stat priority is the same as it is for fury: crit>str>mastery>haste after both hit and expertise caps.

For gems: crafty cut (expertise+crit) for red sockets, smooth cut (crit) for yellow and piercing cut (hit+crit) for blue slots

Enchanting is pretty straightforward since there isn't very many options for each slot but go based on the stat priority and put windsong on your weapon until dancing steel becomes available.

As for reforging, I would suggest getting reforgeLite. It's a great addon and takes most of the math out of it for you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustynip View Post
    Stat priority is the same as it is for fury: crit>str>mastery>haste after both hit and expertise caps.

For gems: crafty cut (expertise+crit) for red sockets, smooth cut (crit) for yellow and piercing cut (hit+crit) for blue slots

Enchanting is pretty straightforward since there isn't very many options for each slot but go based on the stat priority and put windsong on your weapon until dancing steel becomes available.

As for reforging, I would suggest getting reforgeLite. It's a great addon and takes most of the math out of it for you.
    But yellow gems can be placed in red sockets, so that makes no sense? I've looked up other warriors and they don't follow the 'If it's a red socket put 'expertise+crit in them. I'm looking at a warrior and he has strength and crit. None of the people that I'm looking have exp in a red socket. I'm sorry, but I just don't understand.

In regards to reforging, is what I said correct though? Some of the gear from heroics has mastery, and that's not important, so just change it for a useful stat?

But there's my problem. I'm going towards capping hit and exp with both gemming and reforging.

I'm confused.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sareth View Post
    But yellow gems can be placed in red sockets, so that makes no sense? I've looked up other warriors and they don't follow the 'If it's a red socket put 'expertise+crit in them. I'm looking at a warrior and he has strength and crit. None of the people that I'm looking have exp in a red socket. I'm sorry, but I just don't understand.

In regards to reforging, is what I said correct though? Some of the gear from heroics has mastery, and that's not important, so just change it for a useful stat?

But there's my problem. I'm going towards capping hit and exp with both gemming and reforging.

I'm confused.
    Maybe they are already Exp and Hit capped.

15+ Year Old Account
    Meet you hit/exp caps, get as much crit as you can, meeting the higher socket bonuses. Crit > Str > mastery both arms and fury. It's not hard to understand. Don't worry about other classes how they gem/reforge. Do what YOU need to do for yours.

10+ Year Old Account
    The reason you want to gem exp+crit and hit+crit is it leaves more room for you to keep stats on your gear. It's a balancing act between getting as close as possible to 2550 for hit/exp while still maintaining the most secondary stats possible. Example: you have a piece of gear that has a red socket with a good strength bonus. This piece of gear also has crit and mastery on it. Instead of reforging away that mastery to expertise, its more beneficial to put an orange expertise+crit gem in because mastery is a far superior stat once you've reached the expertise cap.

Reforge for hit/exp don't gem for it. Reason being, you can't reforge to strength, but you can gem for it. If you can't reforge and meet hit/exp caps, look to enchants to fill the remaining. If you still can't meet hit/exp caps then start gemming for it.

edit - Also, something like Mr. Robot can help with getting everything gemmed/enchanted/reforged properly.
    Last edited by Ambreene; 2012-10-04 at 09:11 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambreene View Post
    Reforge for hit/exp don't gem for it. Reason being, you can't reforge to strength, but you can gem for it. If you can't reforge and meet hit/exp caps, look to enchants to fill the remaining. If you still can't meet hit/exp caps then start gemming for it.
    Don't post information if you haven't payed attention to any of the changes that came with MoP. We're not concerned with gemming strength whatsoever. Crit is better. @OP, follow what I said in my previous post.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustynip View Post
    Don't post information if you haven't payed attention to any of the changes that came with MoP. We're not concerned with gemming strength whatsoever. Crit is better. @OP, follow what I said in my previous post.
    I have been paying attention, thanks much. Strength is still the way to go in gem slots, after meeting hit/exp caps.

Ive been using drunkbeard's arms guide on the official forums. For gems and stuff, he says:

Red : Inscribed Vermilion Onyx
    Yellow : Smooth Sun's Radiance
    Blue : Piercing Wild Jade

Shoulders : Greater Tiger Fang Inscription
    Back : Enchant Cloak - Superior Critical Strike
    Chest : Enchant Chest - Glorious Stats
    Wrists : Enchant Bracer - Exceptional Strength
    Gloves : Enchant Gloves - Super Strength
    Belt : Living Steel Belt Buckle
    Legs : Angerhide Leg Armor
    Boots : Enchant Boots - Pandaren's Step
    Weapon : Enchant Weapon - Dancing Steel

Reasoning for the gems and stuff can be read in the guide. I believe crit is worth slightly more than 2:1 over strength so thats why they are crit gems.

For reforging, i would strongly recommend wowreforge. You will have to put in the hit and exp values but it was much better than mrrobot for me in cata. Havent used it in mists yet because i dont think i have enough stats to get both caps.
    Last edited by ohiostate124; 2012-10-04 at 10:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    GLHF with your progression

Deleted
    People on this thread all contradict each other.
    Very little people agree on anything.
    The ask mr robot thing says I should reforge all mastery to exp...
    And drunkbeards guide is also different.
    Drunkbeard doesn't even suggest gettinf fucking exp gems...
    And icy veins guide is different..
    Literally, no two sites say the same thing.

So. What now?
    Last edited by mmoccc3932e217; 2012-10-05 at 02:24 PM.