Page 1 of 48
... LastLast

Mop - 2.7 million sold in first week

http://eu.blizzard.com/en-gb/company...tml?id=6147208

ALLIANCE AND HORDE ARMIES GROW WITH LAUNCH OF MISTS OF PANDARIA™

New World of Warcraft® expansion sells 2.7 million copies in first week -- global subscriber base passes 10 million

PARIS, France -- October 4, 2012 -- Following the September 25 global rollout of World of Warcraft®: Mists of Pandaria™, the new expansion to the world’s #1 subscription-based massively multiplayer online role-playing game, Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. today announced that millions of players have already joined the fight for Pandaria. During the first week of launch, prior to the release in China on October 2, the expansion had already sold through approximately 2.7 million copies and the game’s global player base passed 10 million subscribers, with growth across all major regions.*

OMG WoW is dead..

10+ Year Old Account
    In your fish aquarium eating your fish flakes. NOM NOM
    That number will go back under 10 million in 6 months. So tbh i wouldnt brag about that, just gotta do more pr spin in the future
    Torchlight II Vanilla Player
    Looking for a vanilla only group?

http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=40739

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    So I am not a math wiz, but how do you get from 2.7mil to 10mil?
    5-6 million are from china and the 2.7 million doesn't include them. Also, not everyone who is a subscriber has bought the xpac yet.

Hm. Can't figure out if that includes digital sales or not.

At any rate, that sounds about what I'd expect: Cataclysm sold 3.3 million to start with, so a slight decline to go with the drop in subscriber numbers only makes sense. It's still a very strong amount, so congratulations to Blizzard!

Can someone please put in the OP that China doesn't buy expansions so that people will stop asking the same question?
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

7 million didnt buy the xpac first week but still have subscriptions?

MoP isn't required until you hit level 85 and want to level further. A lot of people may have heard the hype and want to see what WoW is all about, so just bought the vanilla/Battlechest, which tbh is plenty of content for a new player for now.
    If oranges are orange, why aren't bananas yellow?

2.7m bough mop and the rest is playing cata or older? Think for a moment

They got a little under 1 million new players and not everyone has bought the expansion yet and also, of course, in Asia they don't buy the expansions. 10 million was easy to get to. I would assume by the end of the fourth quarter the sales will be closer to 4 million and maybe 11 million subscribers. Not bad for an over the hill game.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    Hm. Can't figure out if that includes digital sales or not.

At any rate, that sounds about what I'd expect: Cataclysm sold 3.3 million to start with, so a slight decline to go with the drop in subscriber numbers only makes sense. It's still a very strong amount, so congratulations to Blizzard!
    Of course it includes digital sales. Blizzard wouldn't announce a low number without digital sales.

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Although this number is still impressive, I guess it was rather dissappointing for Blizzard going from 3,3m sold copies of Cataclysm on the first day to 2,7m copies in the first week.

But actually it is not surprising, it was pretty much what I was expecting. Let's see if they learned from their mistakes and publish more content more often, or if they intend to let the game slowly die.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishyface View Post
    That number will go back under 10 million in 6 months. So tbh i wouldnt brag about that, just gotta do more pr spin in the future
    Can I borrow your crystal ball? I'd like tonight's Euro millions numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Razirm View Post
    Can I borrow your crystal ball? I'd like tonight's Euro millions numbers
    You don't need to be psychic to see the patterns. Just need to have your eyes open.

Would have been higher if they didn't just forget to add content for a year.

It did pretty well considering a major competitor just came out also.

Wait, did Cata really sell 3.3 million in one day? Didn't know that.

That's pretty impressive.

My guess was 2.5, SCOREBOARD!

I think a lot more will come when they hear it's not that bad tho
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Deleted
    Does anybody know if MoP has launched in Asia yet, or is it just EU & US?

It seems very odd that out of a total subscriber base of 10 million, 7.3 million are still playing pre MoP expansions.

I wonder which expansion has the most subscribers currently?

Time to start finding a new game...obviously WoW is now dead