... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddycen View Post
    so, to my understanding

The Burning Crusade - 2.4M First Day
    Wrath of the Lich King - 2.8M First Day
    Cataclysm - 3.3M First Day
    MOP- 2.7M in First Week

700k sales in day one seems pretty accurate
    You can't break it out like that. Most sales come on the first day, since thats when the months of pre-order sales get counted. Look at the first month totals of previous expansions compared to their first day sales. If MoP's sales followed a similar pattern as the previous expansions, it sold about 40k per day after release (though even that is probably highly inaccurate) for a first day total of about 2.4 million sales. I doubt that is a correct number, but it is certainly closer than what you got by averaging the sales out over a week.
    I found I enjoyed the game significantly more when I stopped paying attention to all the people on the forums telling me how much I am supposed to hate it
    All this complaining is simply further proof that Blizzard could send each and every player a real-life wish-granting flying unicorn carrying a solid gold plate of chocolate chip cookies wrapped in hundred dollar bills, and someone would whine that Blizzard sucks for not letting them choose oatmeal raisin.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SiMka View Post
    2.7M Sold.. so.. It means that there are only 2.7M people playing with current expansion..?!
    2.7 Mil bought physical copies (Ofc more or less by this moment in time)
    the rest probably got digital copies.
    Howay the lads!

Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    It's pretty funny to see people arguing over whether or not a game with 3M expansions sales and 10M subscribers is dying. Some people really need some perspective.
    This. WoW is behind on initial sales compared to previous expansions, but still just utterly destroyed all competition. Even if you compared all sales of the competition to the first week of MoP, WoW still won.

Get over it, WoW isn't dying. No matter how much you seemingly cling to that faint hope (for whatever spiteful jealous bitter reason). Even if WoW lost 90% of its current playerbase it would still be one of the most profitable and highly populated MMO's out there.

And as an aside, when the only counter-argument WoW haters have now is that their favourite game is 'free to play' then I'm very concerned.

Bloodsail Admiral Melanieshaman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobsagget View Post
    Are those numbers JUST physical, i didn't see that laid out in the article.

Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    It's pretty funny to see people arguing over whether or not a game with 3M expansions sales and 10M subscribers is dying. Some people really need some perspective.
    Yea because I hear this is the most subs they have ever had and the best selling xpac for them.

2.7 mil is physical+digital

How come all the other sales have first day sales shown and this expac we get only what's sold so far not first day sales?

15+ Year Old Account
    The problem will be keeping them. The sales are impressive but after the 3 to 6 months, they'll lose some of it all over again. People love to swarm new things, once the new is no longer new, they go on to something newer.

Did I miss the part where this sad it was only physical copies?

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    How come all the other sales have first day sales shown and this expac we get only what's sold so far not first day sales?
    The press release didn't have those other numbers. Those were taken from previous press releases. We don't know why this time they gave us the first week instead of the first day. There likely isn't a very large difference between the two though.

---------- Post added 2012-10-04 at 02:51 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Zokten View Post
    Did I miss the part where this sad it was only physical copies?
    Nope, they didn't say if it was all physical, all digital or them both combined. It wasn't mentioned one way or another.

Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post

Nope, they didn't say if it was all physical, all digital or them both combined. It wasn't mentioned one way or another.
    I feel like them leaving it out and that they only sold 700k on release of retail (correct me if this is wrong)

That it is both digital+physical, but that is just a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurbz View Post
    You can't break it out like that. Most sales come on the first day, since thats when the months of pre-order sales get counted. Look at the first month totals of previous expansions compared to their first day sales. If MoP's sales followed a similar pattern as the previous expansions, it sold about 40k per day after release (though even that is probably highly inaccurate) for a first day total of about 2.4 million sales. I doubt that is a correct number, but it is certainly closer than what you got by averaging the sales out over a week.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    The press release didn't have those other numbers. Those were taken from previous press releases. We don't know why this time they gave us the first week instead of the first day. There likely isn't a very large difference between the two though.

---------- Post added 2012-10-04 at 02:51 PM ----------

You're both in denial. We didn't get first day sales because they were low and they didn't want to publish them (no one says they have to, at least not until their quarterly financial meeting). If we don't get 1 month sales numbers it'll be because of the same reason (they're low and don't want to publish them).

I'm not hatin', I'm just sayin', be realistic.

Most people are probably like me, and waiting a few weeks to see if everyone gets bored of MoP fast. My patients is running out though, I may buy my copy before the end of the week, sooooo boooooooredddddddd.

You're possibly right Maconi. First day sales could be lower than they'd like, but strengthened over the first week. However, it's the first month of sales, or even the first 3 months of sales, that are more telling.

Look at Dragon Age: Origins. Spike in sales, then dipped off, but spiked about two months later due to positive word of mouth. DA2 had a MASSIVE spike of first day sales and plummeted over time from negative word of mouth and/or mixed reactions.

After Cataclysm disappointed people, a lot of players are likely more "wait and see" cautious going into MoP, but word of mouth responses I've seen have been largely positive so we will see what impact that has over the next month or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Maconi View Post
    You're both in denial. We didn't get first day sales because they were low and they didn't want to publish them (no one says they have to, at least not until their quarterly financial meeting). If we don't get 1 month sales numbers it'll be because of the same reason (they're low and don't want to publish them).

Most people are probably like me, and waiting a few weeks to see if everyone gets bored of MoP fast. My patients is running out though, I may buy my copy before the end of the week, sooooo boooooooredddddddd.
    I'm in denial because I'm not saying that they didn't release first day numbers because they were low when in fact I don't know why they didn't release first day numbers? That's not being in denial.

*shrug* Personally, I don't think it matters either way. I'm playing the game because I still enjoy it. Not really concerned with how many other people are or are not doing the same. If it ever gets to the point that I cannot find enough people to do things that I want to do, or Blizzard says they are going to stop developing content due to low subscription numbers, THEN I will worry about it. But seeing as I have no problem with the former, and the latter is unlikely when you consider that EQ still gets expansions and never had more than a fraction of subscribers that WOW does now, I don't see any reason to stress over the numbers.
    I found I enjoyed the game significantly more when I stopped paying attention to all the people on the forums telling me how much I am supposed to hate it
    All this complaining is simply further proof that Blizzard could send each and every player a real-life wish-granting flying unicorn carrying a solid gold plate of chocolate chip cookies wrapped in hundred dollar bills, and someone would whine that Blizzard sucks for not letting them choose oatmeal raisin.

I don't understand everyone saying "best expansion ever" when it's sold less in a week than Cataclysm sold in a day?
    So by your logic Cataclysm is the best expansion to date?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Konig View Post
    Yup, WoW is officially in the gutter. 10 million? What does that even mean? I'm surprised blizzard is still in business. $130,000,000 a month is terrible for any business. Cant people just accept that WoW is dead? I guess those lonely 10 Million people are just blind to reality.
    my god are you people stupid? they dont have 10 million subscribers who pay monthly. They earn about half of your estimate per month from online services. $199,0000,000 was for the last quarter. and that includes paid for services for WoW AND call of duty elite.

they probably have 4 million subs tops the rest are pay per time chinese players who pay next to nothing.

Thats why theyre only seeing 2.7 million people buying their expansion thats their true subscriber base with some slackers waiting on purchases and annual pass people who want to cancel, players in china dont buy expansions, thats why you;ve never heard a WoW expansion every sell 10,11,12 million copies equal to their supposed subscriber base.

Deleted
    My question is why this wasn't closed after Boub's post?

That's all.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyUK View Post
    my god are you people stupid? they dont have 10 million subscribers who pay monthly. They earn about half of your estimate per month from online services. $199,0000,000 was for the last quarter. and that includes paid for services for WoW AND call of duty elite.

they probably have 4 million subs tops the rest are pay per time chinese players who pay next to nothing.

Thats why theyre only seeing 2.7 million people buying their expansion thats their true subscriber base with some slackers waiting on purchases and annual pass people who want to cancel, players in china dont buy expansions, thats why you;ve never heard a WoW expansion every sell 10,11,12 million copies equal to their supposed subscriber base.
    Oh god its far worse than I expected. How on earth can blizzard survive off $60,000,000 a month. You have convinced me Anthony of the UK, WoW is officially dead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, WoW is dead ..

Oh .. nvm