Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaidu View Post
    snip
    I can't say that I understand how you feel, as there hasn't been anybody in my family that has died from cancer, but your post made me very sad. I'm really sorry for your loss. That's heart-breaking.

MOvember?

10chars

Despite the fact you seem to think the awareness is a bad idea, I think it's partly resentment.

Try bringing up awareness to Movember in your community.

10+ Year Old Account
    See, rather than being offended that one cancer gets attention and another cancer does not, you should instead promote awareness for that other cancer.

Maybe breast cancer is overblown, maybe not, who cares. It kills people, it's important. Rather than complaining about breast cancer awareness, work harder to promote awareness for prostate cancer.

We can be aware of both at the same time. It's not like breast cancer funding takes away from prostate cancer funding.
    Putin khuliyo

Khaidu, thank you for sharing your mom's breast cancer story. If the OP thinks curing breast cancer is as simple as performing a mastectomy (which of course also involves emotional and physical problems that can't be discounted as "nothing" or "easy"), he is incredibly wrong - doesn't have enough awareness of the realities of breast cancer, despite all the attention the disease gets. :S

Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    screw you OP, my great aunt died at 26 from it cause it was so obscure at the time.

We don't need attacks - Mod
    Should have been infracted, oh well.
    The OP is raising a concern that breast cancer is overwhelmingly overshadowing the importance of other cancers. It does not matter how much money you throw at cancer research, a cure wont happen until we get better technology to detect and eliminate cancerous cells. Im talking 20+ years. Cancer mortality rates has not been declining at all, its at a constant %. Just as many people are dying of breast cancer today as in 2000, which indicates that extra funding has not done anything.

What we can do is educate people as to how to recognize symptoms of cancers early, which is one outcome of all the breast cancer awareness months, more women are finding out about their cancers earlier, which imo, the element out of all the breast cancer months that actually really made a difference.

But it would also make sense to expand upon just breast cancer. Lung cancer kills twice as many people as breast cancer does. If educating people about recognizing cancer symptoms is the most efficient way to save lives, why not include all cancers. Why not educate people about the symptoms of the more deadly cancers that are just as/or even more common than breast cancer, in addition to breast cancer.

Seems like it is a better way to allocate cancer research sources in order to save more lives.

---------- Post added 2012-10-05 at 01:21 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ryotte View Post
    Khaidu, thank you for sharing your mom's breast cancer story. If the OP thinks curing breast cancer is as simple as performing a mastectomy (which of course also involves emotional and physical problems that can't be discounted as "nothing" or "easy"), he is incredibly wrong - doesn't have enough awareness of the realities of breast cancer, despite all the attention the disease gets. :S
    Your missing the OP's point, and are just assuming that he "isnt aware enough." Breast cancer has been too commercialized, its being used as a way for businesses to use it in order to associate their product with boobs, and is a way to make a person think that they are helping the cause.
    Why is it only breast cancer, why not cancer in general, different cancers may seem to give different symptoms, but they all operate in the same way at a cell level.

Its about being practical, and when more common and deadly versions of a condition exist, I dont understand why only a specific group is in the public eye.

The OP is raising a concern that breast cancer is overwhelmingly overshadowing the importance of other cancers. It does not matter how much money you throw at cancer research, a cure wont happen until we get better technology to detect and eliminate cancerous cells. Im talking 20+ years. Cancer mortality rates has not been declining at all, its at a constant %. Just as many people are dying of breast cancer today as in 2000, which indicates that extra funding has not done anything.

What we can do is educate people as to how to recognize symptoms of cancers early, which is one outcome of all the breast cancer awareness months, more women are finding out about their cancers earlier, which imo, the element out of all the breast cancer months that actually really made a difference.
    thats the whole point, to educate and raise awareness. how can it overwhelm things that never had publicity to begin with? breast cancer awareness basically put all cancer awareness on the map.
    But it would also make sense to expand upon just breast cancer. Lung cancer kills twice as many people as breast cancer does. If educating people about recognizing cancer symptoms is the most efficient way to save lives, why not include all cancers. Why not educate people about the symptoms of the more deadly cancers that are just as/or even more common than breast cancer, in addition to breast cancer.

Seems like it is a better way to allocate cancer research sources in order to save more lives.
    that would make sense if it wasnt a charity driven event. complaining that people arent donating to the cause you want is pretty silly, especially since it HAS made a difference in saving lives.

breast cancer awareness is not preventing other cancer research anymore than sarah mclaughlin commercials are preventing donations to third world orphans. its not a zero sum game.
    Last edited by starlord; 2012-10-05 at 05:59 AM.

MOVERMBER, MOTHERF****ER. Do you know it?

Clearly not. Learn. Engage. And when people ask you why you are growing that mustache, you tell them 'TO SUPPORT PROSTATE CANCER AWARENESS'. And bam. You just did. You can help. Do it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Except that's not true at all.

Even within breast cancer there are dozens of subtypes.

There's no "cure for all cancers". That's a myth perpetuated by people who think cancers are all the same and just appear in different parts of the body.

There are literally tens of thousands of identified cancers. Each one has different causes, cell types, mutations and behaviors.

Curing one form of breast cancer won't do anything except cure one form of breast cancer.

---------- Post added 2012-10-04 at 09:49 PM ----------

And I mean... here's the list of cancers by organ and mortality....

Pancreatic cancer - 97%
    Liver cancer - 95%
    Esophageal cancer - 92%
    Lung cancer - 87%
    Stomach cancer - 83%
    Brain cancer - 75%
    Ovarian cancer - 61%
    Oral cancer - 49%
    Kidney cancer - 47%
    Rectal cancer - 46%
    Colon cancer - 43%
    Laryngeal cancer - 34%
    Cervical cancer - 34%
    Prostate cancer - 26%
    Breast cancer - 23%
    Bladder cancer - 22%
    Skin cancer - 19%
    Uterine cancer - 17%
    Thyroid cancer - 6%

Breast cancer isn't even close to the top.

Shouldn't we probably be working on almost ANY other kind of cancer?
    You have more chance to survive a plane crash then survive most cancer.....http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/5402342.stm

I can see where you are coming from OP, I generally think October is a saturated month, it feels like it is the months of months for everything...

Black History Month (UK)
    National Book Month
    National Work and Family Month
    National Breast Cancer Awareness Month
    National CyberSecurity Awareness Month
    Filipino American History Month
    LGBT History Month
    National Bullying Prevention Month
    National Physical Therapy Month
    American Pharmacists Month
    Polish American Heritage Month
    National Domestic Violence Awareness Month
    National Spina Bifida Awareness Month

And these are the only ones I found of wikipedia(omgz he used wikipedia!), it has the highest amount of commemorative months. I personally think they should spread it out more, this whole time I feel like I am getting something shoved into my throat. Not that I am against of any of these but it like....with so many their makes nothing special about them. By having so much of them at one time is too much. And just one day is not enough? If they seriously have an entire month they could just make it just plain cancer awareness month then each few days 'honor'/spread awareness of each type of cancer.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Here's an idea: instead of having awareness months for things that are important, why don't we just raise awareness for them every month?

Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    Here's an idea: instead of having awareness months for things that are important, why don't we just raise awareness for them every month?
    im pretty sure they do, via commercials/pamphlets etc.

im pretty sure they do, via commercials/pamphlets etc.
    Every time I think of pink, I also think about breasts.

Coincidence? I think not.

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Every time I think of pink, I also think about breasts.

Coincidence? I think not.
    well theyre often pink...

well theyre often pink...
    Not the pink I was referring too.

Because women>men

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty stupid thing to get offended over. I'm sure you will get over it.
    Wow <3 Korra<3 Giants<3

Yeah this is totally something to get angry and offended by and doing so won't at all make you look like a total jerk.

Similar topic, why does cancer in general get all the attention? wheres national Motor Neuron Disease Day, the slow horrible death my dad is suffering from.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquinan View Post
    Similar topic, why does cancer in general get all the attention? wheres national Motor Neuron Disease Day, the slow horrible death my dad is suffering from.
    I think you're on to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Splatter View Post
    My 2 year old daughter was diagnosed with cancer 2.5 years ago now
    While in the womb?