Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    i would vote for her lol...

and like someone said before, if that's the worst they can find on her... how desperate can one get

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zshikara View Post
    Video games (especially massively multiplayer ones) really do teach real world skills.
    No. No, they really do not.

Quote Originally Posted by zshikara View Post
    Hell, if anything I think playing WoW (or any MMORPG) is a BENEFIT and should be a welcome addition to someone's resume. People need to look to the future. Video games (especially massively multiplayer ones) really do teach real world skills. If you are a GM of a successful raiding guild. . .that should mean something outside of game. It means you know how to work well in a fast paced team environment. It means you know how to handle issues and work with any type of person. This is just one example. Seriously, anyone who plays wow has learned some very valuable real world skills.
    No, not really. This is something some wow-players think.......wow doesn't contribute to your skill irl.

if this is your opinion, do you have it on your resume?

Quote Originally Posted by Synstir View Post
    No, not really. This is something some wow-players think.......wow doesn't contribute to your skill irl.

If I had played WoW when I first applied for my current job, I would certainly put "experience in using a variety of customized scripting tools to enhance commercial applications".

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't know if people noticed this in the add, but there's even a homepage ( http://www.colleensworld.com ).
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Scolaris View Post
    If I had played WoW when I first applied for my current job, I would certainly put "experience in using a variety of customized scripting tools to enhance commercial applications".
    But you would leave out the part that says "in the online massive multiplayer role playing game World of Warcraft"? Why?

But you would leave out the part that says "in the online massive multiplayer role playing game World of Warcraft"? Why?
    Because I want to make a good impression, and unless if I know that my interviewer is also a gamer, I would prefer to maximize my chances by only putting the things that I think the interviewer wants to see.

10+ Year Old Account

It helps teach teamwork and leadership skills if you're in a guild.

It's not on my resume because it has such a stigma attached to it, not because I don't think it taught me anything.
    Putin khuliyo

Like she said, it goes to show that they can't stand on their record since they have to attack her for a hobby... She should win...but now I hope it's a damn landslide.

Ironically, the attack could backfire as more and more people, despite the stigma, play video games in general as a hobby now.

Quote Originally Posted by Scolaris View Post
    Because I want to make a good impression, and unless if I know that my interviewer is also a gamer, I would prefer to maximize my chances by only putting the things that I think the interviewer wants to see.
    A 'good' impression! Right!
    So you would hide the fact that the skills you are referring to come from your hobby, because you think playing wow wouldn't sound good?
    The interviewer is not looking for someone who can raid hardcore or cleared ds pre-nerf, is he?
    I think he doesn't care at al what you can do in-game, even if he himself is a wow-player.

I think the minute that you would write down that the skills came from wow, he would perceive them as non-existent.

The fact that you can lead a guild or that you can lead a raid to clear raids on the most difficult level, doesn't mean anything in real life.
    In real life you won't see a video being released with all the tacts you have to follow in order to achieve your goal.
    You won't have knowledge about the things which are coming to you, like dbm is providing.
    You wont' have a pre-defined set of skills against which you're working.
    You team-members are no pixels without feeling and pre-defined skills, so you don't know how they will react if you ask them if they are 'retards', 'noobs' or anything.
    You will not have add-ons to make your decisions easier and you won't have mass-ress if things go wrong.

There is a difference between the real world and Azeroth. You behave different online, because you're sitting behind a screen and keyboard and not interacting irl with people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Ironically, the attack could backfire as more and more people, despite the stigma, play video games in general as a hobby now.
    Indeed. This attack campaign is simply an indication of the gap between the older generation to which most politicians belong, and the gamer generation.

I remember when being a geek was a social stigma as opposed to a point of pride.

A 'good' impression! Right!
    So you would hide the fact that the skills you are referring to come from your hobby, because you think playing wow wouldn't sound good?
    The post that I originally quoted states that "WoW don't teach you real world skills". I am replying that it actually does, and I would even put it in my resume if given the chance.

But I never said anything about "an adult playing video games to not have a negative stigma attached". Those are two different things.

To give another example, at an early age, I learned how to pick locks so I can sneak into my (rich) friend's house and play with his games. I believe lockpicking is a valuable skill. I'm not going to yell out that I know how to do it, or how I learned how to do it, though.

(and to those who might want to ask, my answer is no, at that time I'm an idiot who does not fully understand the concept of personal property. My age hasn't even reached double digits yet, gimme a break)

hahahaha its funny how she really looks like an orc(ugly as fuck).
    I would vote on her just to piss-off the person who made that stuff against her, but i personally dislike horde-tards like her.

In all honesty, would you expect anything different if the political parties were reversed? Of course not.

Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post

It's not on my resume because it has such a stigma attached to it, not because I don't think it taught me anything.
    Do you use any of the tacts you use as a guild-member irl?

Deleted

It taught you about leadership in a WoW guild. In dealing with what is usually a reasonably tight knit, highly motivated group of volounteers with a clearly defined common goal where the cost of failure is very low. It'd be great if real life was like that but it's not.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If I was a Republican who donated money to this campaign, I would want my money back. Not only is this the weakest basis for a smear campaign, but the quality is terrible. With that being said, I want to know how this lady has enough time to run for office is she is playing World of Warcraft.

Additionally, I'm sure she didn't have intention of running for a public position when she was saying those things, but they do make her look horrible. While we might understand it, and there may be a lot of gamers out there, mass opinion would prefer that their elected officials not have ever said comments like that under any context.

This would definitely get me to vote FOR her though. Too bad I don't live there.

---------- Post added 2012-10-05 at 09:36 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by bajskorv View Post
    It taught you about leadership in a WoW guild. In dealing with what is usually a reasonably tight knit, highly motivated group of volounteers with a clearly defined common goal where the cost of failure is very low. It'd be great if real life was like that but it's not.
    Ha...haha...ha. I'll fix your quote for you to represent what guild have been before raiding became such a casual activity. "In dealing with what is.....a....group....with a goal."

Most guilds are machines of convenience. A lot of them don't like eachother and drama is heavily prevalent. Today it might be puppy dogs and sunshine, because the game is easy, but back when you had 40 voices competing to be heard and serious progression in TBC, most people hated eachother.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you use any of the tacts you use as a guild-member irl?
    Do I use management skills I practice on guildmates in real life? Yes.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Do I use management skills I practice on guildmates in real life? Yes.
    Inversely, reading a book on business management does wonders for officers in a guild.