Pets and AoE damage

Hey, just gonna be a short thread here, since none of my friends seem to be able to help me figure this out. I haven't played my hunter since Cata, but they seemed rather fun this time around so I decided I'd start leveling it to get a feel for it.

I picked BM as my spec, as I've been BM since vanilla and it seems like it's still fun.

Soooo, my issue. My pet dies instantly to any aoe from any bosses. It seems like the usual 90% damage reduction simply doesn't apply to my pet for some reason. My 2 friends who also play hunters have not noticed the issue, but they both play survival, so it might be a minor issue for them, I don't know.

Anyway, basically I can't do any real dps because my pet doesn't survive anything. Is this simply a case of Blizzard changing it so that you have to micro your pets out of aoe/pull them back when the boss casts something, or am I encountering a strange bug?

EDIT: Should probably add that this is at 86, not 90, so it might just be some weird scaling issue. My pet "only" has 110k hp and is a wolf with ferocity.
    Last edited by Shirra; 2012-10-05 at 05:43 PM.

just asking the obvious in case...

make sure it's not melee and normal damage, because if you are solo'ing, you most likely have growl/taunt on and your pet is tanking and maybe just not standing up to normal tanking duties as ferocity.
    Or do you have the pet spec'd to tenacity already?

I can tell you this, when I leveled from 85-90 on release day, through Thursday morning that first week, my pet was a tanking boss as ferocity spec even!
    I never had to hardly ever throw a mend pet at him....

however, sometime later in that week, I believe something was "changed" that I haven't seen a release about in a hot-fix, and the reverted how strong the pet armor is or something, because now even at 90 with huge HP on my pet, I still have to throw heals at him (in ferocity spec) just to kill normal mobs for dailies

I didn't have my growl turned on, and I never saw the tank lose aggro. My pet just died whenever it stood in the AoE of the bosses from the first 2 mists dungeons.

Quote Originally Posted by Shirra View Post
    I didn't have my growl turned on, and I never saw the tank lose aggro. My pet just died whenever it stood in the AoE of the bosses from the first 2 mists dungeons.
    Your pet takes 90% damage reducing from AoE spells. So unless it has taken several melee swings from the boss...

Last boss of the Brewery, I leave my pet on the boss. Sometimes when the healing add spawns, the tank runs to the add, leaving only my pet in Melee range of the boss. Boss quickly slaughters my pet.

I haven't noticed anything in Jade though.