Trying to learn how to find edible plants.

Well, I am finding tons of stuff growing around my yard. Some blackberrys, and some mushrooms. I am wandering, where could I typically find a class that'll help me safely find and identify edible mushrooms and fruits that grown in the wild? Im in North Carolina. This came about from me realizing I need to be able to identify Oak Tree's in order to find Wild Chicken Mushrooms that I can safely eat.

Do NOT pick any mushrooms if you are not 100% sure it is safe.
    Ever.

Yeah, honestly, even if I knew which mushrooms were safe to eat I still wouldn't risk it. The risk far outweighs any potential reward.

Otherwise, do a search for wilderness survival courses in your area, might find something worthwhile there...

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Well, I am finding tons of stuff growing around my yard. Some blackberrys, and some mushrooms. I am wandering, where could I typically find a class that'll help me safely find and identify edible mushrooms and fruits that grown in the wild? Im in North Carolina. This came about from me realizing I need to be able to identify Oak Tree's in order to find Wild Chicken Mushrooms that I can safely eat.
    Pay a few 8 year olds on the street to taste some.

The above is a joke. Please do not do that. Please.

10+ Year Old Account
    this may go without saying but i dont know your mental compacity so ill say it anyways, make sure you wash ANYTHING you pick from the wild, it may seem harmless to pop a few blackberries in my mouth while picking but you never know what could be on them, how many different animals could have marked them or people carelessly tossing out harmful liquids

Quote Originally Posted by raintrees View Post
    this may go without saying but i dont know your mental compacity so ill say it anyways, make sure you wash ANYTHING you pick from the wild, it may seem harmless to pop a few blackberries in my mouth while picking but you never know what could be on them, how many different animals could have marked them or people carelessly tossing out harmful liquids
    Of course. I even wash veggies and fruits from the store before touching them. Really anyone should know to always wash produce.

Of course. I even wash veggies and fruits from the store before touching them. Really anyone should know to always wash produce.
    You do know you can wash your hands after you wash the veggies and fruits. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by jbhasban View Post
    You do know you can wash your hands after you wash the veggies and fruits. Just saying.
    You do know its recommended to wash produce before cooking them right? Im not talking about washing just to be clean. You wash them before eating or using them in a recipe.

Deleted
    You do know its recommended to wash produce before cooking them right? Im not talking about washing just to be clean. You wash them before eating or using them in a recipe.
    If you've found them in the wilds there will hardly be any pesticides to wash off.

I wouldn't suggest taking this to be a be-all-end-all guide to this kind of thing, but if nothing else, it's an interesting read.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/plants-1.php

It's not just about plants, either. It seems there's lots of general survival information. It also says its info was used on USA Today, Discovery Channel, and US News & World Report.

This was what a quick google search resulted, but it seems to be about as legitimate as anything you'll find online.
    http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/8752/caerelia.jpg
    (Sig too large, sorry!)

You said before "touching" them.

Quote Originally Posted by Howdyho View Post
    If you've found them in the wilds there will hardly be any pesticides to wash off.
    There are things other than pesticides that can harm you...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by medievalman1 View Post
    There are things other than pesticides that can harm you...
    You don't wash berries you've found in the wilds.

Quote Originally Posted by Howdyho View Post
    You don't wash berries you've found in the wilds.
    I do if I'm able, i.e. am picking them and bring them back to "civilization".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by medievalman1 View Post
    I do if I'm able, i.e. am picking them and bring them back to "civilization".
    Nobody washes berries before selling you silly.

I suggest you bleach your wild fruit to make sure nothing harmful is on them. You never know what may be in that water you use.