when to hit Devotion Aura against mages

let's say i'm fighting a frost mage 1-on-1. my health gets to a certain point, and i'm silenced, and then it's a matter of "i must survive until my silence is over in order to heal, stun, whatever". what i don't know is what percentage my health mages typically wait for before they silence me. what i'd like to do is hit Devotion Aura beforehand.

i first thought maybe 30% health, because that's when my HealthWatch puts a big "LOW HEALTH" message across my screen. but it seems mages don't wait for it to get that low. should i hit Devotion Aura at 50% health? should i use a different strategy?

edit - does anybody open up fights against mages w/ Divine Protection, or is that something that should probably follow Devotion Aura b/c at a certain percentage health a frost mage is going to open up their can of whoop-ass?

thanks
    Last edited by Kraniel; 2012-10-06 at 01:19 PM.

This is better suited for the PvP Forums, you don't mention if you're Holy or Ret either.

It sounds to me that asking 'when do mages silence' you don't fully understand the concept behind pvp yet, any decent mage will Counterspell to finish you off on 1v1, so that boils down to waiting on how or 'if' you can react to it.. not just blanket.

Analyze your weaknesses, they'll do it when you need it the least / When you don't want it to happen (for obvious reasons).

Getting to know when and why you're vulnerable the most and thinking of ways to close that gap will help you predict and react to much more than just counterspell.

10+ Year Old Account
    From a ret pov there are two ways a mage can shatter you
    Deepfreeze, root+silence. Its not very easy to tell when they're gonna use the blanket. It certainly depends on the individual you're fighting. Id say watch the silence and freeze cooldowns.

veliane, you're definitely right about me not fully understanding pvp. seems each encounter provides a new perspective. and sorry i didn't clarify, i play RET.

ipoststuff, when you say "blanket", are you referring the "counterspell" that veliane is referring to? and i'm assuming mages are taking improved counterspell so it works like a silence.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraniel View Post
    veliane, you're definitely right about me not fully understanding pvp. seems each encounter provides a new perspective. and sorry i didn't clarify, i play RET.

ipoststuff, when you say "blanket", are you referring the "counterspell" that veliane is referring to? and i'm assuming mages are taking improved counterspell so it works like a silence.
    yes by blanket i meant counterspell. And the imroved version became baseline so all mages have it. A 5 sec silence with a 20 sec cooldown. damn thats op