Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Mistweaver Monks what to do?

Hey, guys I'm levling a MW monk in order to balance our raid grp abit more. The thing is... I've been reading alota stuff and like 50% of the articles I've read says, monk should go into melee range and dps the boss, others say the healing u gain for isnt worth because you cant do it the entire fight, whyle the other 50% say it does.. I check streams on twitch to see monk pov's and I barely see MW monks in melee range.. but they might be.... 'not the best'

Can any 1 srsly help me on this issue?

Mostly its a gear issue. Fistweaving can be very mana intensive since you're constantly attacking, and also you have to direct cast heals when needed. Once we get higher levels of spirit we'll probably be in melee range a lot more often.

Also it depends on the fight. Sometimes its better to stand far back and heal. Not as fun though.

10+ Year Old Account
    You'll learn when to fistweave and when not to. I tend to mix things up just for the sake if it, especially during these dull heroics.

If you lean against fistweaving more than the normal ranged, do make and learn how to use the mana-tea glyphed.
    Last edited by vian; 2012-10-06 at 02:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    so basicly I should 'fistweaving' in less stressfull phases of an encounter? And keep my distance the rest of the time?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by carlosanjos View Post
    so basicly I should 'fistweaving' in less stressfull phases of an encounter? And keep my distance the rest of the time?
    It's more down to prefference. Sure, there will be alot of min/maxing efficiency these upcomming weeks, but Im sure you'll be able to "outheal" most other speccs and classes if you're a decent player eighter way.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    ok, thank u both for the help

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by carlosanjos View Post
    No, Fistweaving is more healing than you will ever do standing at range casting soothing/enveloping mists.

You do a lot more healing by jab/jab/uplift or spanning crane kick healing than you do casting actual healing spells.

There is no good reason to be playing a pure healing style in a raid. You will do poorly at meters and be a burden to your raid if you're not fistweaving.

Once our gear gets even better Fistweaving will be even more dominant than it already is.

Monks and to a lesser degree paladins are melee healers.
    []http://sig.lanjelin.com/img/tanro.png[/]

Deleted
    Depends on fight imo, but if allowed standing in melee and using jab (and autoattacks!) and keeping up Serpent's Zeal will net you better results.

On a boss fight, should I be using tiger palm as well? Just keeping the stacks up?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by daslops View Post
    On a boss fight, should I be using tiger palm as well? Just keeping the stacks up?
    No.

Jab/Jab/Blackout costs the same mana as Jab/Jab/Uplift only the latter does massively more healing. Unless you're attempt to play a true hybrid to say meet an enrage you shouldn't really be pure dpsing in a raid, you should be healing via dpsing (which for Monks does more healing than straight up healing).

On a normal fight where you're mostly playing Jab/Jab/Uplift with some SCK in the bursty phases you shouldn't be casting Tiger Palm because there's no use in buffing auto attack speed when you're not casting Blackout Kick in order to make your auto attack heal. If you were to Blackout kick and Tiger Palm to get full stacks of both buffs you'd waste so many GCD's not casting Uplift in order to buff you eminence, which is way less of your healing done.

The amount of bad info here is just awesome.

Your soppose to keep up tiger power (tiger palm) and ascension? (blackout kick) up at all time.

"Fistweaving" is not mana intensive if you do it right and properly keep mana tea on cd. The amount of healing you get from it is incredible. Its not the only reason you do it, jab is our best chi generator and you need to utilize that to get the most out of the chi system.

My logs/stream are in my sig if you want to see what I mean.

So far ive just spammed a bunch of 5mans, but ive noticed that its relatively mana neutral to get your buffs up (TP and SZ), but the time you do, you should be 1 chi use shy of 2 stacks of mana tea (use the glyph for fistweaving). When i pop that im usually back to 95-100% mana, and have done a decent amount of heals already. Just make sure to use renewing mists on CD, and keep your buffs up. currently i fail at doing that for TP, but ive been too lazy to make a power auras to keep better tabs on it.
    What i tend to do on heavy single target fights (only done 5 mans tho), is Renewing mists on the tank, jab, jab (with jab gives 2 chi talent) BoK, BoK, expel harm, jab jab, TP,TP,TP, then go into a more heal-centric rotation if tank is taking too much damage. After that, use Chi on uplift, or enveloping mists if tank is taking too much damage, and make sure to keep your buffs up. then weave in chi wave/zen sphere/chi blast if you feel like doing something different to spend chi. just make sure to keep buffs up as i said and spam mana tea on CD... and lay off if you find yourself running a bit low on mana. its really fun because, IMO, theres such a variety of ways to play the class, its really up to you to find your own style, or preference for when you lay off the melee and start focusing single target heals...
    favorite healing class so far, and ive healed with all 4 previous classes at 85.

Quote Originally Posted by Krowz View Post
    "Fistweaving" is not mana intensive if you do it right and properly keep mana tea on cd. The amount of healing you get from it is incredible. Its not the only reason you do it, jab is our best chi generator and you need to utilize that to get the most out of the chi system.

My logs/stream are in my sig if you want to see what I mean.
    Looking at your logs, you use tiger palm: do you feel it's worth the 30% armor pen to be spending the GCD's? I'm getting contradicting answers everywhere.

Looking at your logs, you use tiger palm: do you feel it's worth the 30% armor pen to be spending the GCD's? I'm getting contradicting answers everywhere.
    I would say from the limited testing on live I've done (raids being out for 1 week) its entirely situational. If you don't have the hot on very many targets, or everyone is topped off and uplift will be overhealed, Tiger palm to keep from capping on Chi. If you're going to be on the boss for 20s + and raid damage isn't huge, tiger palm to 3 stacks of the armor buff. I'll have to do more testing to see just how valuable the buff is to our eminence healing, but so far it seems to be situational. Also, having the glyph of surging mists helps the tiger palm playstyle.

After a week of raid, looking back at the logs and doing some spreadsheet math, it seems fistweaving is good for it's steady chi generation. Maintaining Serpent Zeal and Tiger Palm seems to have a VERY LOW HPM and HPCT return. In fact, HPM is so low that it's worst than using Soothing Mist + 2x Surging Mist + Enveloping Mist rotation.

However, using Jab to generate Chi is actually very useful. In terms of HPM, it's comparable to Soothing Mist but you get around 60% more HPCT using the Chi to single target or AOE heal.

Spreadsheet:
    docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ao7ayU6t7__LdExyLURTeWlBZ2lUWWlTcHlTbmdLbUE

The idea is that you heal melee with your attacks and when ranged needs healing use your heals

Quote Originally Posted by bigfootbigd View Post
    The idea is that you heal melee with your attacks and when ranged needs healing use your heals
    The problem is that the HPM and HPCT is so poor with melee healing that you are better off using Soothing Mist directly.

Keeping SZ and TP up is suppose to require more skill to use than Soothing Mist, but if the return is worse than Soothing Mist, why use it at all?