Deleted

How to hard-split wifi at home? Latency issues.

We have a 60/6mb cable connection at home, it's stellar when I am on it alone (close to 8MB/s download, 6-20ping in WoW or CS).

The cable goes straight to a router (D-Link DIR-600), my computer gets internet through a lan cable from the router and there is a wifi network for the other computer and the occasional phone or laptop.

For years I have been the only active user (more than web page browsing) of the connection but lately the other computer is being used for things, mainly watching HD video streams or playing Counter-Strike 1.6.

Whenever that's going on my ping in WoW goes from 20 to 1000-2000ms even though the connection is barely stressed by the stream or the CS16.

Is there a way to counter this? My idea would be to maybe hard split the connection so wifi (or 1 wifi client) only gets maybe 30mb... Is that possible? Would that help? Is there any other solution to this problem? I would rather not but I am willing to spend money on HW or SW that might be needed.

Thanks for any input.
    Last edited by mmoc6af618f320; 2012-10-06 at 02:50 PM.

You have up to 8 Mbit download? Then it is normal that you suffer high latency. I don't believe that your router is able to priorize ports. I had the same issue with our old ADSL-Connectio up to 6 Mbit DL, when changing to VDSL wit 50 Mbit it was gone.
    It depends on your www connection, sorry

What you are looking for is QoS (quality of service), for an explanation see for example here: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/de...es-performance. No idea whether your router supports QoS though.

'Splitting' the connection in the way you suggest would not work, because your problem is not speed but latency. Consider this (very wrong and incomplete) comparison: the connection is like a car which transports goods. It can transport large amount of baggage each time (this is basically the speed), but it takes time to make a trip (latency). Now your problem is that you want to send just a small bag (but do it on time), while the other person has a lot of stuff to move. So in the end the car is more likely to pick his stuff and you have to wait till the time they decide to pick yours (which can be a few trips). So what you actually want is for car to take care of your package first - this is exactly what QoS allows you to set up.

Good luck!
    Last edited by mafao; 2012-10-06 at 03:01 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mafao View Post
    What you are looking for is QoS
    Oh right, that seems to be exactly what I need. My router has "QoS Engine" tab in the settings so I am getting right on that. Thanks a bunch.
    Quote Originally Posted by koltara View Post
    You have up to 8 Mbit download? Then it is normal that you suffer high latency. I don't believe that your router is able to priorize ports. I had the same issue with our old ADSL-Connectio up to 6 Mbit DL, when changing to VDSL wit 50 Mbit it was gone.
    It depends on your www connection, sorry
    Not sure what you are getting at with the speed, I have a 60mb (60mbit). My connection on its own is fine.

---------- Post added 2012-10-06 at 05:27 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mafao View Post
    What you are looking for is QoS (quality of service), for an explanation see for example here: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/de...es-performance. No idea whether your router supports QoS though.

'Splitting' the connection in the way you suggest would not work, because your problem is not speed but latency. Consider this (very wrong and incomplete) comparison: the connection is like a car which transports goods. It can transport large amount of baggage each time (this is basically the speed), but it takes time to make a trip (latency). Now your problem is that you want to send just a small bag (but do it on time), while the other person has a lot of stuff to move. So in the end the car is more likely to pick his stuff and you have to wait till the time they decide to pick yours (which can be a few trips). So what you actually want is for car to take care of your package first - this is exactly what QoS allows you to set up.

Good luck!
    I love you man... 23ms ping with two HD soccer streams, one on my laptop, second one on the other PC.

Quote Originally Posted by reve View Post
    Oh right, that seems to be exactly what I need. My router has "QoS Engine" tab in the settings so I am getting right on that. Thanks a bunch.
    Not sure what you are getting at with the speed, I have a 60mb (60mbit). My connection on its own is fine.

---------- Post added 2012-10-06 at 05:27 PM ----------

I love you man... 23ms ping with two HD soccer streams, one on my laptop, second one on the other PC.
    The guy had a great explanation of what you needed, gets one kudo for the insight.

The previous guy didn't realize that MB and Mb are not the same thing. 8Mb might be slow, but 8MB is great.

Quote Originally Posted by reve View Post
    [/COLOR]I love you man... 23ms ping with two HD soccer streams, one on my laptop, second one on the other PC.
    Glad I could help