Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Neither is neither.. lol. I love healing. I don't think of it as "Oh, mister hero! Let me sustain you while you slay our enemies!"

It's more "Shit, must balance all these green bars and know when/when not to use things to make green bars go up faster at the expense of not having them for "x" time."

Nothing very "girly" about that imo

it's terrible but it's my own personal sexism I guess but I have never even tried healing because I think it's girly. I apologize for it but it's my personal take. I will say that I have a few good friends who are male and love playing heal classes and I love playing a Tank so it works out but the point is that most people don't share my notion

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    When I was playing wow, I was the menliest of menly healers (with a female caracter xD)
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderlii View Post
    Neither is neither.. lol. I love healing. I don't think of it as "Oh, mister hero! Let me sustain you while you slay our enemies!"

It's more "Shit, must balance all these green bars and know when/when not to use things to make green bars go up faster at the expense of not having them for "x" time."

Nothing very "girly" about that imo
    Damn I forgot how much I used to love those menly green health bars, when I think of testosteron I think of the color green for some reason, I loved turning those puny little girly red bars into BIG MUSCULAR BEARDED green bars
    Last edited by RüneRS; 2012-10-06 at 06:41 PM.

Deleted
    I healed all WotLK, but I'm the manliest man I know, not to mention the best healer.

Honestly though, playing a draenei female holy paladin (and probably (because it sucked) the only pvp-shockadin in the world at that) I've seen "her" and "she " used alot in reference to my person. Some were really surprised when they heard me talk so I guess there's quite alot of stereotyping going on there. For reference, out of our healing team of 5-6 people in ICC25 I was for a time the only male, though it later it was a 2-4 split. My ICC10hc team had a 1-1 split in a raid with I think 3 or 4 females.

Might be that it has changed in the 2 years since I stopped playing, alot can happen in that time, but that's the guild I played in back then at that time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vanin View Post
    I healed all WotLK, but I'm the manliest man I know, not to mention the best healer.

Honestly though, playing a draenei female holy paladin (and probably (because it sucked) the only pvp-shockadin in the world at that) I've seen "her" and "she " used alot in reference to my person. Some were really surprised when they heard me talk so I guess there's quite alot of stereotyping going on there. For reference, out of our healing team of 5-6 people in ICC25 I was for a time the only male, though it later it was a 2-4 split. My ICC10hc team had a 1-1 split in a raid with I think 3 or 4 females.

Might be that it has changed in the 2 years since I stopped playing, alot can happen in that time, but that's the guild I played in back then at that time.
    Well i think is kind of normal that people refered to you as she/her because you were using a female character, that have happened to me a lot (using my female draneai priest) and i do the same, i know that the person i'm talking to is a guy but i still refer to him as her or she if it's in game chat but on RC i refer to that person as he/him

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aberration View Post
    As someone who is a heterosexual male and played a healer from TBC until Cata, I am offended. :P
    You're not as heterosexual as you think you are. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Deleted
    Guessing all doctors are gay.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most girls play healers, it's just like. ya. most of the time I think boyfriends get them into the game, then have her go heals so they can play together easier.
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

10+ Year Old Account
    As someone who is a heterosexual male and played a healer from TBC until Cata, I am offended. :P
    So... i shouldn't feel offended because i'm a homosexual guy that plays a healer?

If it's a healer then it's a girl. Back when I played WoW nearly all healers were girls. Rarely would I see a DPS or tank girl. I guess it's just the laid back click-based action of the healers that give ample room for ... well anything else. DPS is a race and top dpsers are all nuts about their egos. Heck I would of spammed recount every LFG or so when more than half of the overall dmg done was just me alone Tanking is another epeen booster. I've only once in like 2-3 years of playing seen a female tank. I gotta say that was a brief visit 'cause after a few guild runs she went DPS and then switched chars.

Personally I wouldn't say the roles are either to difficult or require a vastly different set of skills, it's just the people in-game that give others a hard time. DPS just starting out? Prepare to be humiliated by a random ego-maniac while you hunt for gear. New to tanking? Just wait until you get kicked for not knowing what to do or not having the gear to compensate. When you go out as healer you can just stay detached from the group. Sure you can fail, but more often than not a good tank can carry a whole group (not to mention imba dps). I'd say girls are more of a "peaceful race" that avoids altercations and because of the nature of the game they all went towards a more "safe" role. I rarely saw healers take blame or be thrown out.

Still all roles played well take a certain skill and attention to details that you need to learn while leveling and raiding to get up there with the best. I'd say play what you want not because of your gender or that you are afraid of a little labeling but to actually do the thing you WANT to do not the thing you're LEFT WITH. I've seen to many players avoiding difficult tasks on encounters simply because they'd prefer a more "safe" area. Personally I would have loved to see more female tanks & DPS and female only guilds ... but I guess that I'll never see 'em in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Interesting. The experience I've always had was that most of my last couple guild's Tanks and Healers were women, with most of our DPS being men.

I think DPS speaks to the competitive nature of males-- there's a clear-cut 'best'.
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    I'd say girls are more of a "peaceful race" that avoids altercations.
    So says someone who's never been married.

Quote Originally Posted by maxilian View Post
    So... i shouldn't feel offended because i'm a homosexual guy that plays a healer?
    Not at all. :P

Warender - Orc Enhancement Shaman - Mal'Ganis US

10+ Year Old Account
    Not at all. :P
    >.>

Oks..., actually i don't feel ofended by that XD, but in my opinion, you shouldn't feel ofended... why? because is not a big deal, unless they hear you talking (in vent, RC, skype or whatever) and they still think you're a girl XD

Quote Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
    This thread... I don't even... I uh..

What.

No seriously.

I don't think I can put my thoughts into words just yet.
    The answer to the thread's title is no.
    And this added to the actual discussion of the thread...HOW, exactly?
    I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space, with the tuning fork, does a raw blink on Hari-Kari rock! I need scissors! 61!

In a way it is a stereotype "manly role?" Just leads down to skill.
    & i know far to man healers who a men, as much as women.

Tanking and healing both have core aspects to them that are very stereotypically male and female. That said in games and especially MMOs, gender stereotypes and boundaries are much looser than real life with huge numbers of guys playing with pretty girl avatars in dresses, and girls killing big dragons with big swords. Part of the appeal I guess.

I see the tanks more as the alpha male role if you want to really stereotype and be a bit more specific. These are kind of your take charge players so an aggressive female can also fit in here pretty well. Gender usually isnt the best way to categorize players anymore as many people mentioned. Personality types is a broader and gender neutral way though.

If you do a search there are some good threads about class/role choices and Myers-Briggs personality types. That is a much better approximation although you find all types or people playing all types of classes. By and large though you definitely see a majority of true tanks( not the ones getting a quick queue ) will fit more into certain personality types.

Deleted
    there's no need to even create this type of stereotypes cause the amount of girls playing this game is minimal.
    So we could all agree that all specs are manly and there's a very low amount of girls who play a variety of specs(My guild's only woman is a tank)

Also fyi healing is as hard as tanking(sometimes harder) so if there's one spec that should be called girly it's dps

*offended*

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm basically always a tank, my girlfriend is basically always a healer. The stereotype works for us (and really helps control unruly DPS is dungeons).