Deleted

Computer won't start

Topic.

I had this pc built around 2 years ago and it was working fine until this summer, where it started to restart itself after about 10-20 mins of playing games (more specifically: Blacklight Retribution and Assassin's Creed 2). I thought it was caused due to overheating, and bought myself a new fan after seeing my temperatures were reaching the 70s. The fan did help get my temperatures down, but the resetting still happened. Due to some rl things I had to stop using that PC until yesterday.

I had been playing WoW a good 3-4 hours and it randomly reset while on a dungeon. I tried logging in again after it reset and the whole computer froze this time around after only 2 mins or so. Had it happen again. Today, after running some diagnostic tools the PC shut itself down and it won't start at all.

Here are my computer specs:

1024 MB ATI Radeon HD5770 PCI-E
    Phenom II X4 955 4x 3.2Ghz
    2x 2048MB DDR3 Dual Channel 1600MHz (PC3-12800) and a 2048MB Kingston DDR3 667MHz (PC3-10700)
    1000 GB SATA, 7200rpm, 16MM
    MSI 785GM-E51 Motherboard (Chipset: AMD® 785G + SB710)
    Xigmatek Achilles Heatpipe
    500 Watt PSU
    DVD Burner

About the test I ran:

I ran Memtest86+ and it found around 3k errors on test nr. 7. Given that the CPU, L1, L2 and motherboard are also tested I proceeded to use Prime95's torture test to try and test if that got me any sort of errors. Howerver, the PC shut down while it was running and it will not turn up again.

The PC is clean (cleaned it 2 weeks ago) and I already replaced the thermal paste twice by this point, but I still keep on getting issues. Right now I'm not sure if my problems is due to overheating, fried CPU/GPU or faulty RAM. Already tried to turn the PC on with just one RAM slot (and switching it between the slots) but it still won't turn on. There's no beeping sounds either.

Help?
    Last edited by mmoc5beb01a9c3; 2012-10-06 at 10:54 PM.

Sounds like a RAM problem to me. Either one of the sticks is going bad, or because of the different frequencies your MB is having a problem downclocking the faster one.

Could be a mother board problem as well, seeing as how the computer doesn't even beep anymore.

Or, if no lights at all come on, could be a bad PSU. Need some more info like lights turning on, fans turning on...
    Last edited by The Cat; 2012-10-06 at 08:40 PM.

Deleted
    Nope, nothing's happening at this point. The most I get is that the light do turn on for half a second, enough to make the fan spin just a bit before it powers off. I already tried unplugging everything bar GPU, PSU, and 1 of the 3 RAM sticks (kept on rotating them, same problem). Not really sure, was thinking it might be the PSU at this point, but no idea.

Have you tried resetting your cmos/bios? Also, if you cannot get into the bios, take out all but one ram stick and try again. If nothing happens it's probably your MB or PSU. If you get it started again, don't put the 2GB ram back in there. Mixing and matching ram is not always succesful. Hope this solves your problem. It does indeed sound like a ram issue.

edit: didn't read that you already done this... Is there a clear cmos button on your MB? if there is, press it down for about 30 seconds. If there is not your gonna have to remove the battery while the PSU is unplugged. Leave it off for about a minute or so, then slot it back in and reconnect your PSU. If that doesn't work it is your MB or PSU that's gone....

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemmiwink View Post
    edit: didn't read that you already done this... Is there a clear cmos button on your MB? if there is, press it down for about 30 seconds. If there is not your gonna have to remove the battery while the PSU is unplugged. Leave it off for about a minute or so, then slot it back in and reconnect your PSU. If that doesn't work it is your MB or PSU that's gone....
    Just gave that a shot, but nothing happened. I guess I'll have to try with a new PSU on monday and see what happens. Was planning to replace it for a bigger one anyways. Regarding the RAM, it was my mistake. I have 3 2GB slots, 2 with the exact same frequency and the third that's running at 667MHz. Guessing the mixing and matching still applies though?

Deleted
    I tried a spare PSU from a buddy of mine but the PC still did not turn on. Read somewhere on the internet some guy was having similar issues, and that this guy decided to unplug the cable that feeds the processor....and voila, my PC turned on. Now....is it a processor failure or a motherboard one? A little help here please?

Quote Originally Posted by Howlingwolf View Post
    I tried a spare PSU from a buddy of mine but the PC still did not turn on. Read somewhere on the internet some guy was having similar issues, and that this guy decided to unplug the cable that feeds the processor....and voila, my PC turned on. Now....is it a processor failure or a motherboard one? A little help here please?
    Very rarely a CPU fails, unless overheating. I'd say Motherboard is aching somewhere.

Deleted
    Thanks a lot for the helpful replies I'll order a new MoBo and see what happens