Page 1 of 11
... LastLast
    Deleted

Why buy a console?

Alright, I want you to give me all the reasons you can think of why I should buy an Xbox360 or a PS3!
    This is ofcourse because I'm indecisive, and would love to hear what others think of their respective console and why they think so.

Deleted
    They have good games.

Far as I'm concerned there is exactly one reason to acquire ANY gaming platform: It has games you want to play on that system.

All other reasons are fluff... Except maybe buying a PS3 because it's one of the cheapest Blu-Ray players on the market. I could see that. It was at one point. I don't know if it still is.

Deleted
    Split-screen is generally more used on them too, can be useful if people want to come over and play things but not cart around a load of hardware.

Deleted
    If you wanna play the real "thing" instead of some shoddy pc-port (yeah darksouls i'm looking at you >.<)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ridish View Post
    If you wanna play the real "thing" instead of some shoddy pc-port (yeah darksouls i'm looking at you >.<)
    Um... how is the PC version in any way less than the console version?
    No framerate issues (lol blight-town on consoles), there's the fix for both the resolution and the fps now (the originals were both the console max) and you can do some funny texture replacements.
    Last edited by mmoca4abc3a051; 2012-10-07 at 12:34 AM.

I'm just going to answer the question in the title, not about just one or two consoles.

Console games are great for when you have a group of friends over who want to game at the same time. Having them drag over their laptops/Pc, or sharing a tiny screen of some other type of computer is not nearly as fun as a large screen tv. This is just one reason to have a console.

Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    Alright, I want you to give me all the reasons you can think of why I should buy an Xbox360 or a PS3!
    This is ofcourse because I'm indecisive, and would love to hear what others think of their respective console and why they think so.
    Funnily enough, I just took the plunge and bought a PS3 after being a PC gamer for 15 years (as in...the last console I owned was a SNES!) about three days ago. I wanted a Blu-Ray player, so that made the rationalisation easier.

But also I was thinking more about console-exclusive games and how Xbox exclusive games tend to come to PC...eventually. Alak Wake took years but they released it eventually. I suppose it's less of a negative for Microsoft to port to PC than it is Sony. So yes I had my friend telling my all about Heavy Rain and the Uncharted series and I finally caved.

Quote Originally Posted by Yakobo15 View Post
    Um... how is the PC version in any way less than the console version?
    No framerate issues (lol blight-town on consoles), there's the fix for both the resolution and the fps now (the originals were both the console max) and you can do some funny texture replacements.
    I sort of understand what he means. I do think gaming on the PC has greater potential (and don't even get me started on playing an FPS with a controller). So it shouldn't be less, but it generally tends to be because of developer laziness, the port feels like a bit of an afterthought. I've played PC ports that still refer to Xbox buttons in some of the menus. That sort of thing.

EDIT: Oh unless you're talking about Dark Souls specifically, can't weigh in on that one!
    Last edited by Jackdemenzes; 2012-10-07 at 01:02 AM.

the only possible reason to buy console would be red dead redemption. but otherwise consoles suck hulk hogans dick
    Last edited by Endus; Today at 10:40 PM. Reason: Editing to change questionable phrasing to adorable puppies

Quote Originally Posted by xBreak View Post
    This post was almost as bad as you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    The clueless commentary from the shortsighted peanut gallery is getting to me.
    My youtube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/Krystafal

Exclusive games you really want to play

10+ Year Old Account
    Why buy a console?
    No reason at all. They are in every way you can possebly think of inferior to a PC.

The only thing that might give the slightest consideration is mobility.

Why a console?
    1 - Exclusive games
    2 - Split-Screen
    3 - No new hardware upgrade required
    4 - Controller
    5 - Co-Op games
    6 - Cheaper than a gaming PC

Why an Xbox360?
    1 - No mandatory install for games
    2 - Quality internet service
    3 - XBLA games
    4 - Controller
    5 - Halo, Gears of War, Forza, Fable
    6 - Kinect is better than Move (tho games aren't on par with Wii) and is also featured as a voice recognition in games to help remove menu interface
    7 - 3rd party developers running with Unreal engine usually get games to play smoother/better (Bayoneta, ME2&3, AC 1 & 2 etc.)
    8 - More Co-Op games (due to exclusives)

Why a PS3?
    1 - Free online
    2 - God of War, Killzone, Gran Turismo, Uncharted, Heavy Rain
    3 - Blu-Ray player
    4 - Upcoming exclusive titles (? - unknown quality on those)

Why a Wii / WiiU?
    1 - Quality Nintendo titles
    2 - Backwards compatible
    3 - Best motion tracking controller out of the 3
    4 - Bayoneta 2, Rayman Legends, ZombiiU (for the WiiU exclusives)

Consoles, especially when they are mid-way through their life-cycles, are rather cheap. I mean you can pretty much buy a PS3 *and* a 360 for the price of a top of the line videocard that will be meh in a couple years. So at 250, with a bunch of great but 'old' games priced at 20 dollars or less a piece, I was able to play a lot of great games for a good price, many of which were exclusive titles. Not to mention, not everyone is a PC gamer as it is indeed costly comparatively, so there is the whole playing with friends thing. They're also family and party-friendly...unless you're having a LAN party, that simply isn't the case with the PC.

10+ Year Old Account
    My Roommate and I own all 3 consoles for the simple reason of playing party games when friends come over.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

in my opinon at this point the only console really worth getting is a nintendo console since thats the only console i feel like gives me anything i cant get on my pc.

although i am going to buy a ps3. for kingdom hearts
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    Just gonna pick on a few, could do more but cba cuz 4am.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    Why a console?
    3 - No new hardware upgrade required
    You can argue that. But it doesn't hold water. If a new console is released now and it runs X game with Y settings and you get a computer that does the same, it will run the very same games as that console at similar performance as time passes.

4 - Controller
    Plugable to a PC. Point is void.

5 - Co-Op games
    Ehm, what? Since when does LAN only work for consoles?

Actually, consoles aren't THAT much less than a PC. I'm going to base this off of a new console coming out, let's say the Xbox 720/Infinity/etc. A new console would be around 400 bucks. This along with the fact that most people play consoles on actual televisions, will be about another 200-300+ bucks depending on the size and resolution. This alone wouldn't be that much less than a gaming PC. Then you have to account for the 8 bucks a month for Xbox Live. Most people buy the 50 dollar card that gives you gold status for a year. This makes the cost around 650 now. Finally, let's say you buy 10 games this year for the Xbox.

60 * 10 = 600
    compared to
    50 * 10 = 100

Which would bring the cost to around 750 bucks, which is enough to build a decent PC. Also take into account that most people have a small laptop (200ish bucks) at the least, for their web surfing and such. If you built a PC, then you wouldn't need that extra laptop as well.

Deleted
    To play Tokyo Jungle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because you can't play supremely awesome games like Soul Caliber 2, Final Fantasy 9-10, Grandia 2, without a console.

Sorry, I'm stuck in the early 2000's. /insert kick-ass console only games in place of older ones

Quote Originally Posted by Holo View Post
    Just gonna pick on a few, could do more but cba cuz 4am.

You can argue that. But it doesn't hold water. If a new console is released now and it runs X game with Y settings and you get a computer that does the same, it will run the very same games as that console at similar performance as time passes.

Plugable to a PC. Point is void.

Ehm, what? Since when does LAN only work for consoles?

Yes but any game released for a console ever will work on that said console. But with a PC if in a few years you want to play a new game just released you may have to upgrade something in you PC to run it. Years after purchasing a console it will still run any new game released for that console.