Concern about frapsing full-size, getting spikes!

So basically I'm trying to fraps a video by my guild doing Mogu'shan Vaults but every time I try fraps full-size I tend to get spikey lags while playing, I'm not lagging anything at all before but once I press F9 and start recording it starts to get spikey...

Does anyone got a solution to this? It would be GREATLY appreciated.

Would a reboot solve it? I got 450/915 gig available though.

I'll post my rig here:

GPU
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 460

RAM
    6GB

Monitor
    1920 x 1200 (Width x Height)

CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 2.33GHz 20% Oc

Please someone take your time if you know what would fix this!! please

Sounds like you're recording to the same drive that you're playing from? There's no way around it in that case until you get a separate HDD to record to.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Hmm alrighty, about how much does it cost? For a decent one at least? and how easy is it to install to the computer?

Something like this? http://www.webhallen.com/se-sv/hardv...ble_500gb_usb3
    Last edited by Sambaria; 2012-10-07 at 03:29 AM.

That one should suffice. For non-force-RGB recording, basically any HDD that is used dedicated to frapsing will be enough (4gb per 2min @ 1080p = ~34Mb/s write speed). If you don't need a portable HDD, and you feel confident in installing an internal HDD on your own (or with the help of a friend), go that way instead since they're generally cheaper.

The upside of an extrernal one though, you can record on one machine, and while clearing trash to the next encounter, you can render the movie on the computer next to you. This is something I wanted to try, but never got around to, leading up to a serious queue of bosskills that had to be edited and rendered during progression.

Okay Raptheone, cheers!

But I just wanna make sure it's worth getting an additional HDD. Does it reduce spike dmg greatly or just reduce it abit?

Please someone who fraps with external HDD reply who knows!

/Sambaria

The spikes you're getting is because of the single HDD.

The HDD is physically limited to how fast it can multitask, since it relies on the arm to read/write. If you're trying to do multiple things (like frapsing while playing WoW, with system and other programs in the background on the same drive), it'll jump frenetically between all the tasks. While multitasking, the HDD has to physically move its arm, and while it does that, it does no read/write operations. Giving enough tasks to one HDD and it'll queue up more than it can handle, which leads to spikes. Pulling a number, 90% of what's choking the HDD is the recording through fraps, since it requres constant sequential writing. Putting that task on a dedicated HDD will greatly unload the first HDD, and if the fraps HDD only has to do the sequential writing from fraps, it'll do so with ease.

I've no personal experience frapsing to an external HDD, but using an internal HDD for frapsing, the difference is pretty much like the difference of gaming with or without a graphics card. It's the single most important upgrade you can do when recording.

Quote Originally Posted by Raphtheone View Post
    I've no personal experience frapsing to an external HDD, but using an internal HDD for frapsing, the difference is pretty much like the difference of gaming with or without a graphics card. It's the single most important upgrade you can do when recording.
    a friend of mine tried frapsing with an external drive and failed to do so. after he took the hdd out of the external case and plugged it in internally he could fraps without problems magically.

so...no. an external drive is not enough for full-size.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaim View Post
    a friend of mine tried frapsing with an external drive and failed to do so. after he took the hdd out of the external case and plugged it in internally he could fraps without problems magically.

so...no. an external drive is not enough for full-size.
    It should do fine with USB3.

Thanks alot to those who taking your time and responding here!!!

Btw my rig should be fine frapsing full-size right?

Now what's the best, external or internal to have as second one?