Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[Books] Looking for fantasy EPIC suggestions ONLY (no trilogies, no single novels)

I really prefer reading fantasy series that last quite a long time. I'm defining epic fantasy as:

1. NOT sci-fi
    2. At least four books in the series

Secondly, I don't really like series that are aimed specifically at teenagers and young adults. If people typically read it at 14, I probably don't want to.

I haven't read so many epic series, but I'll list the ones I have in my order of preference to give you an idea of what I like. Any help?

1. Malazan Book of the Fallen (loved the characters to death, I got past the terrible storytelling that left massive gaps and confusion in its wake)
    2. Wheel of Time
    3. Game of Thrones
    4. Dark Tower (didn't like the modern-day reality tie-ins)
    5. Lord of the Rings
    6. Riftwar Saga (I thought all of the characters were flat and the storylines were extremely predictable)
    7. Sword of Truth (Only read the first book, never got into it - not interested)
    Last edited by Hottie4Hire; 2012-10-07 at 05:32 AM.

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Deleted
    You should give Night Watch a try, it's by Sergey Lukyanenko (I don't know if that's how you spell it in english), it's tetralogy, set in modern times, but it has the most gripping story I've ever read.

Deleted
    Twilight? I heard the characters were really deep and the lore is good.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xaru View Post
    I really prefer reading fantasy series that last quite a long time. I'm defining epic fantasy as:

1. NOT sci-fi
    2. At least four books in the series

Secondly, I don't really like series that are aimed specifically at teenagers and young adults. If people typically read it at 14, I probably don't want to.

I haven't read so many epic series, but I'll list the ones I have in my order of preference to give you an idea of what I like. Any help?

1. Malazan Book of the Fallen (loved the characters to death, I got past the terrible storytelling that left massive gaps and confusion in its wake)
    2. Wheel of Time
    3. Game of Thrones
    4. Dark Tower (didn't like the modern-day reality tie-ins)
    5. Riftwar Saga (I thought all of the characters were flat and the storylines were extremely predictable)
    6. Sword of Truth (Only read the first book, never got into it - not interested)
    You'd probably like the Sword of Shannara series. It's quite extensive. It's not always a linear progression though, which has both benefits and drawbacks. This link has a suggested "reading order" to try and get the best familiarity with the series: http://www.amazon.com/Shannara-Sugge...R3A1JJIU6O49EG

As you can see, with 20 books there's an entire world to explore.

Edit: Somehow you missed LOTR, which in fact has closer to 6 or 7 books to fit the world. (Hobbit, LOTR Trilogy, Silmarillion, just to name 5.)
    Last edited by Sooba; 2012-10-07 at 04:32 AM.

I've read LotR, I'll add it in.

15+ Year Old Account
    Codex Alera by Jim Butcher
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Alera
    Pokemon combined with the Roman Empire....who wouldn't like it?

Memory, Sorrow and Thorn by Tad Williams
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory,_Sorrow,_and_Thorn
    I haven't read it in like 15 years so that might be nostalgia talking, but I still remember it fondly

Black Company by Glenn Cook
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Company
    This one I think you'll really enjoy if you liked Malazan. The Bonehunters is even a tribute to this series. It's extremely dark and gritty, more so than Malazan or Song of Ice and Fire. But it's a thrilling read.

The various Spin-Offs of The Malazan Book Of The Fallen.
    Ian C. Esslemont doesn't write mich better than Erikson, but the worl they built is just so very fascinating.
    Last edited by Zao; 2012-10-07 at 08:23 AM.

Have to also agree on Codex Alera by Jim Butcher. Awesome six book series and if you like the author you might even then look in to his Harry Dresden Files books, they aren't typical fantasy at all but are brilliant books none the less.

If you don't mind dark fantasy, the Wayfarer Redemption series by Sara Douglas is quite good. L.E. Modesitt's Recluce series is amazing, and up to I think 14 books now. he also has several other extremely well written fantasy series you'd probably enjoy. I'm sure I'll think of a few more in the morning.

Deleted
    Technically speaking, these are triologies, but:

Robin Hobb.

there's the farseer triology, the liveship traders triology and the tawny man triology. Just don;t look at them as sets of 3, think of it as more 1 set of 9 - i absolutely loved these!

dragonlance chronicles: dragons of autumn twilight, dragons of winter night, and lots of others

the chronicles of pern

you can consider classic Salvatore to be "aimed specifically at teenagers and young adults", but "War of the Spider Queen" is a very epic story (diffrenet sets of authors)
    Aldoraan Ret Pally since 2.4

Outland - love forever

Although it is probably designed for a younger audience, I read Eragon and the rest of the inheritence series in my 20s, if you are after a story rich in fantasy/magic then it's pretty awesome. Four books in total and I think anyone who really loves fantasy would probably enjoy the world and the lore/magic within it.

Deleted
    As the second poster said....The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant....is what u are looking for. Masterful books.

Deleted
    Having read all of the above mentioned books I'm going to give you the names of 2 writers that combine both awesome characters and engaging storytelling in medieval era fantasy themes:

Joe Abercrombie http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_First_Law
    R Scott Baker http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_of_Nothing

For me, and having in mind your preferences and what you thought of the books you've read, with which I agree largely, you can't loose with these two. Enjoy reading!

P.S. Their series are not that extensive, but their writing is so good you're never going to mind!

Try the Disc World series by Terry Pratchett, its smart, fun and very entertaining. Also there are now 30+ books in the series, so they will last you a while.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Religiousbob View Post
    As the second poster said....The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant....is what u are looking for. Masterful books.
    What he said!

Drizzt Do'urden series is one of my favs.

So much crap suggested in this thread.

Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever is mehtastic at best.
    Shannara is not Epic Fantasy, but formulamatic. If you want Formulamatic, L. E. Modesitt Jr's Recluce stuff is the best, but it certainly does not fall under the category Epic.
    Dragons of Pern/Forgotten Realms/Dragonlance/Wayfarer is not Epic Fantasy, although the Dragonlance stuff is probably the best of the bunch.
    Eregon/Hobb are just crap.
    I've not yet read Night Watch so cannot comment.

TheBandit's selections are good.

Joe Abercrombie's stuff is Dark fantasy and all his stuff is in the same world, I'm waiting impatiently for his next book which is out next month. It starts with a trilogy then adds on single books with recurring characters.
    R Scott Bakker, you are going to love it or you are going to hate it. But it certainly falls under 'Epic Fantasy'. He is on his fifth in the series and going to at least 6.
    Tad Williams stuff is good if you can stand some slow starts. Memory, Shadow, and Thorn are where you would start with his stuff for sure.
    Gene Wolfes Book of the New Sun is epic fantasy and he is one of the best, if most baffling writers still writing.
    Brandon Sandersons Mistborn stuff is very good and very epic, although his newer book "the Way of Kings" is the start of an epic ten book cycle.

Your best bet is going to be 'The Black Company' by Glen Cook. He is a clear influence on Erikson's Malazan Marines (even admitted by Erikson), and he introduced the dark/gritty fantasy with this series. There are 10 of them out and he is still looking at putting out a couple more. They are shorter than Erikson's stuff, because it reads like a chronicle of a single participant, so there isn't any kind of POV jumping or anything. None the less, it is absolutely epic fantasy. He also has a Nior detective series which is great if you feel like branching out.

I love Jim Butcher as an Author, but Codex Alera isn't really Epic Fantasy, although it is an entertaining fantasy series with five or six books out. Jim Butchers best work is the Dresden Files, which is a modern day fantasy series, but it is more popcorn reading than epic.

Also, you know Erikson has a new book out about the origins of the Tiste, right? 'The Forge of Darkness'? You could also check out ICE's (Ian Cameron Esslemont) work in the Malazan world. He isn't as good an author as Erikson, but he is still better than the majority of the trash out there.
    Last edited by obdigore; 2012-10-08 at 12:33 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pwnasaurus Rex View Post
    Technically speaking, these are triologies, but:

Robin Hobb.

there's the farseer triology, the liveship traders triology and the tawny man triology. Just don;t look at them as sets of 3, think of it as more 1 set of 9 - i absolutely loved these!
    I second this. Robin Hobb is fantastic, and the Fool is easily the best character in any fantasy book.

15+ Year Old Account
    There's also a new set of books from her. The rain Wilders I think it's called. They took a while to get into, but they're quite good.