Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah. It is annoying.
    But atleast it aggros everything unlike Dizzying Brew.
    Either it bugs out, or half the things I attempt to pull aren't affected by it.
    We stopped searching for monsters under our beds when we realized that they were inside us.

Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

I haven't delved much into it yet but after research it seems fine to SCK occasionally for large packs of mobs if you have the Rushing Jade Wind talent since it triggers shuffle thus mitigating damage. Obviously along with that you should be doing your part and using your CDs and rotation but using SCK with RJW and purifying seems fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Congregation of Our Knights Most Heavenly
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheezee View Post
    Keep in mind that Keg Smash applies both dizzying haze and weakened blows so it really should be used before SCK and on CD.

Also for trash Keg Smash + Glyphed Breath of Fire is amazing for reducing initial damage on a large pull and it's very high threat. Looks pretty beast as well.
    I prefer Leg Sweep over BoF, personally. Less resource cost. Not as cool looking though, gotta say.

Also, I was expecting "Brewmaster. wut r u doing? Brewmaster! STAAAAHP!"
    Last edited by arisoh; 2012-10-08 at 04:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by arisoh View Post
    I prefer Leg Sweep over BoF, personally. Less resource cost. Not as cool looking though, gotta say.
    I use both but BoF doesn't have a 45 second CD.

As long as they are using Rushing Jade Wind then using Spinning Crane Kick, then using Blackout kick when their shuffle wears off there is nothing wrong with that. I am a monk tank and I tank very well thanks

Lol, I was wondering when these threads would pop up! It took longer than expected, I'm honestly surprised.

The problem is that the difference between a good Brewmaster and a bad one is huuuuuge, bigger than any other Tank class. So it's going to happen that the extremes will get noticed: the terrible and the amazing. However, especially at this stage when the expansion isn't even two weeks old, you're going to see A LOT of bad Brewmasters. Far more than good ones.

As far as the OP's problem, SCK is absolutely fine to use, assuming the Brewmaster actually bothers to keep their active mitigation up (Guard/Shuffle/Elusive Brew). If they don't, then yeah, you've got an issue.

But again, SCK is very noticeable, so it's easy to go 'omg using SCK? NOOB L2P!'. Alas.

Quote Originally Posted by Inuyaki View Post
    I dont get it..

SCK-GotO interaction is op atm, so if there are 5+ mobs, spinning is really nice.
    Obviously it all depends on mobs and your healer, but most hc-groups dont need Shuffle anymore already, at least not with a friend healing you.
    You should still use KS + BoF and Guard + PB obviously
    Keeping up shuffle not only is a great source of Avoidance, it's a good source of getting the strikes that hit when you dodge or parry which hit like a truck nowadays, another reason to keep both shuffle and elusive brew up as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Deuse View Post
    I'm assuming you had one undergeared / bad tank and now you're blaming the class?

As stated by several posters, you continue to dodge & parry while using Spinning Crane Kick. It's also the way to get Chi when there is an AOE group. Obviously you have to keep Keg Toss up and activate Stagger, but otherwise there is nothing wrong with it.

Hes talking about tanks that just run in and SCK spam, believe me, theres alot of tanks that do this.
    Everything is active mitigation, you have to use Blackout Kick, Guard, Purifying Brew, Self heal, Dizzying Haze/Weakening Blows on the target actively.

If you just spam SCK, you lose 20% parry, 20% stagger, no damage absorbtion and no heal, no damage reduced by the mobs and no missfires.

Just because you can parry and dodge during SCK doesn't make it any good, you still lose a significant amount of survivability, any passive survivability is garbage to rely on.
    There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want

Part of it is probably because a lot of them think you can fully face roll heroics. Like, really have absolutely no clue what you're doing. They're easy, but you still need to play the game correctly.

Another part is that monks don't get some of their key mitigation stuff until much later like purifying brew. They probably tanked everything ok with SCK. So they reckon Easy content -> Spin to win.

I've been thinking of trying out brewmaster to see how hard/easy it is, but even as someone who leveled as WW I know SCK isn't the button to perfect victory and happy healers -_- (as a tank, DPS can easily be spin to win ^^)

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    I have no problem with SCK if you're using it that way. As long as you have you mitigation up, SCK as much as you want.

However, if you roll into mobs of enemies and start SCKing with no mitigation because you think that my healer is going to save you, you're SoL.
    Sometimes I do it anyway. My healer heals me fine (Granted I wouldn't do it with a random healer)

Deleted
    Newsflash!
    People aren't very pro at keeping up the multiple short duration buffs implied by the monk tanking, and are squishy and eventually die.

More news at 11.

Pre MOP dungeons are perfectly fine to faceroll via dizzying brew pulls and SCK spam, provided the brewmaster doesn't get too greedy and pull more than a couple trash packs, and as long as the healer isn't /afk. And unfortunately, it's these pre-MOP dungeons that I see a lot of people complaining about.

Unfortunately, you do have the few brewmasters out there who 'learned their class' by facerolling leveling dungeons and are using the same tactics endgame with no attention paid to Shuffle, Guard, etc. Bads will be bads.

If your monk is shuffling left and right repeatedly while SCK then they are good. They are collecting their health globes that you cant see, and each one heals for around 30k.

If your monk is SCK and sitting still they are bad.

Don't group all monks together and call them bad.

Also, while SCK I am doing 50% of the partys damage, which results in shorter fights, which means you heal less. Or we can do it your way and let the "dps" kill mobs and the fights will take 5x longer. Your call chief.

Whenever I am AoE tanking on my monk, it usually goes like this:
    Keg smash
    SCK
    Breath of Fire
    SCK
    Jab
    Breath of Fire
    SCK

And so on. I have Xeun so no rjw for me, and I only use guard if I anticipate damage, but most of the time when tanking, I'm kiting in a small circle just out of reach of melee hits. The ONLY time I need to be in melee range is for my power strike jab. Never leave light shuffle, rarely even take half my health in damage total. I pull 3-5 packs of mobs, usually pull about 225k dps+ and never get hit.....transcendence is OP

Quote Originally Posted by Blueeagle View Post
    Keg smash
    SCK
    Breath of Fire
    SCK
    Jab
    Breath of Fire
    SCK

And so on. I have Xeun so no rjw for me, and I only use guard if I anticipate damage, but most of the time when tanking, I'm kiting in a small circle just out of reach of melee hits. The ONLY time I need to be in melee range is for my power strike jab. Never leave light shuffle, rarely even take half my health in damage total. I pull 3-5 packs of mobs, usually pull about 225k dps+ and never get hit.....transcendence is OP
    You should put Blackout Kick in there, 20% parry and shuffle is not only a damage reduction but also a damage boost, each time you parry you retaliate in damage.
    And i highly doubt you're talking about heroics, theres no way doing that rotation on a pack will not leave you struggling for HP, or atleast the healer, whos picking up your slack.
    There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want

Quote Originally Posted by Blueeagle View Post
    Keg smash
    SCK
    Breath of Fire
    SCK
    Jab
    Breath of Fire
    SCK

I don't see how this is possible. 225k DPS is absurdly high, and without using blackout kick I HIGHLY doubt you're not taking a lot of damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Gaga View Post
    Newsflash!
    People aren't very pro at keeping up the multiple short duration buffs implied by the monk tanking, and are squishy and eventually die.

More news at 11.
    Pretty much this. Most people will get better. Some won't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Monk tanking is kind of abstract. People that just randomly pick up the class without doing extra research probably have no idea how Guard/Shuffle/PB/ect work.

BoF is probably a huge pitfall for most new monks. Great AoE damage but when you look a the class where do you find 2 Chi to burn without letting Guard/Shuffle drop? The spec is very tight on resources and it's easy for uneducated players to get pulled into the resource traps the class offers.

Think of all the DK's out there burning runes on Heart Strike or something instead of Death Strike's. Monk's will suffer from the same issues.
    [/URL]
    The four elements, like man alone, are weak. But together they form the strong fifth element: Boron.

Very true, breath of flame is a huge trap.

I've pugged with monk tanks who didn't use purifying brew-- at 90. They literally took 20% less damage than a rogue.

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealNight View Post
    Monk tanking is kind of abstract. People that just randomly pick up the class without doing extra research probably have no idea how Guard/Shuffle/PB/ect work.

BoF is probably a huge pitfall for most new monks. Great AoE damage but when you look a the class where do you find 2 Chi to burn without letting Guard/Shuffle drop? The spec is very tight on resources and it's easy for uneducated players to get pulled into the resource traps the class offers.

Think of all the DK's out there burning runes on Heart Strike or something instead of Death Strike's. Monk's will suffer from the same issues.
    Everyone talks about how resource starved brewmasters are, but I just don't see it. I have nigh 100% uptime on shuffle and guard, and I have plenty of time to toss in a BoF every now and again. I think the trick is to go into a fight with 2 chi that way you can pretty quickly stack up shuffle a few times. A lot of people are still not realizing that using Blackout kick while shuffle is up adds a full 6 sec onto the buff time instead of simply refreshing the buff.