Thread: Affliction AoE

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Affliction AoE

I've read multiple reports now about how ppl are doing their AoE dmg as affliction. I know aoe isn't ideal as affliction, but its my favorite spec.

I've read all of the following:

SB: Seed of Corruption, Tab Target Agony, Seed of Corruption
    SB: Seed of Corruption, Tab Target Agony, Harvest Life
    SB: Seed of corruption, seed of corruption spam after that
    SB: Seed of corruption, seed of corruption spam, Harvest life -> BOOM.

I'd like to know if anybody has a verified "best aoe" rotation for affliction?

I have found that on 3 or fewer mobs soulburn/soul swap on all of them and then haunt+single target seems to do the highest damage. For tons of mobs, soulburn/seed->RoF to blow the seed up and then seed tab targeting usually works well, using RoF anytime your seeds are not detonating. You'll find that seeds will just sit there and you'll need to use RoF to hit your damage threshold to make them explode if your corruptions are not critting often. They will start a massive chain reaction that absolutely rockets your damage. This also gives you almost unlimited shards with so many corruptions rolling so that you can refresh corruption with soulburn-seed whenever needed.

This is just what I've found from screwing around in heroics. There may be a better way.

Being a lazy person I just SB: SoC, SB: Soul Swap on my seed target, Harvest Life till explosion, then SB: SoC again, Harvest Life till explosion, rinse and repeat.

10+ Year Old Account
    For AOE damage as Affliction, I just respec to Demonology. Seriously, I think this is the best solution as of now.
    That's why you need me.... Need someone to punish you for your sins.

SB:SS on 4 targets, then SoC on them and then Drain Life till explosions detonate. By then the insane AoE from the other classes has already taken the targets out. Hopefully I get to Drain Soul one target before it dies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not every spec is going to shine on every type of encounter.

Blizzard seems fairly content that Multi-Dot + extended Execute are Afflictions strongest points
    and for pure AoE nothing beats Demonology. There is nothing wrong with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Grubjuice View Post

Blizzard seems fairly content that Multi-Dot + extended Execute are Afflictions strongest points
    It's not a case of SoC not 'shining'. It's a case of it mechanically being god-bloody-awful. I have not seen a single warlock say that they actually like the way it works. All of them say - as in this thread - well I try and cope with how bad it is by doing x,y or z.

10+ Year Old Account
    well yes, that's true, SoC is kind of stupid.

If i were to make an AoE toolkip that matched afflictions style, I would make Harvest Life Baseline for affliction (instead of a talent), I would make SoC just be an application of Corruption on All Targets at the cost of a shard (instant application, no pop damage) and give Affliction a void-zone spell that functioned like a death knight's Death and Decay (20second CD, instant, ground based AoE damage over time).

so you would
    Seed of Corruption> Void Zone> Harvest/Harvest/Harvest

and you would be getting Nightfalls up the wazzoo to use SB/Sw on longer lived targets.
    Last edited by Grubjuice; 2012-10-08 at 02:50 PM.

I do just fine AoE as Affliction, I throw out SB:SoC -> SB:SS on a target, then tab SB:SS two other targets, then spam SoC or Harvest Life (add health depending). If the adds are lasting a long time I would throw out another SB:SoC once I see Corruption is falling off, throw out some SB:SS (shard depending) and then continue filling with SoC or HL. When a lot of adds are nearing death I always to Harvest Life and so I can tab around targets to pick one for Drail Soul.

In heavy multi add / AoE situations, of which there are plenty in the new heroic Dungs, I can easily surpass 100k , sometimes as high as 120k in Dungs if there are enough adds with enough health. You have a lot of options in terms of the way you set up your AoE damage as Affliction, so depending on the specific situation and the way you go about it, you can do a lot of DPS or you can do shit DPS.

TL;DR: DoT up targets, spam SoC, profit

Deleted
    I've found that, in heroics, I can do one of two things: 1. SB:SoC one target and make it explode, and then SoC the others to chain explode them. 2. SB:SoC the first, and SoC 4-5 other mobs and only then explode the first, which will make the others go off too, generally. Problem with the first option is, by the time i start setting up the rest of the SoCs to chain explode, the mobs are already very much dead. The problem with the second is, by the time I explode the first SoC, the mobs are, again, already dead. So, the only thing I can say is: 3-4 targets, SB:SS them and do single target rotation on one of them, for more, just go demo, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Voidgazer View Post
    For AOE damage as Affliction, I just respec to Demonology. Seriously, I think this is the best solution as of now.
    Do this.

I did a lot of Affliction in heroics until I got tired of the whole SB/SS every mob then SoC tab target spam. It works but it's still less damage than Demonology and a lot more work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Harvest Life is a great talent for AoE when there are lots of targets. 4-5 SoC followed by some Harvest Life and repeat has been the best strategy I've found so far.
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

It really depends on how much life the mobs have. If they have very little life, I may as well just AFK. If they have moderate HP I SB:SoC, SB:SS, MG until it breaks, and then I alternate between tabbing Agony around and a few seeds.

It's quite clunky really and very unpredictable. Sometimes seeds take so long to break it's not worth even trying, but this largely relies on that initial damage on one target being enough to break the first seed quickly.

A tip whether it's broken mechanics or working as intended, you can double stack seed, one being SS:SoC and a standard seed. So whenever you SB:SoC throw another one on the same target. It happened in beta and is still the same, so I'm guessing it's not a bug.

I lol'd but cried on the inside when reading the thread title.

This pretty much. If you can SoC your main target like on Spirit Kings and Elegon you can contribute a bit. Otherwise all we seriously can offer in a raid is.. harvest life. T_T

If the fight is very AE centric, then you really are better off going Demo.

If there is just a bit of AE here and there, SoC is plenty. Honestly, most AE phases the mobs don't live long enough to warrant going demo.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx View Post
    Blizzard is a conglomerate that through lower sub numbers has raised revenue. They're not stupid, they're just not catering to you.
    Yes yes, I know, the sky just bonked you on the head, casuals are taking over the government, and some baddie just got a raid drop... I think you'll live.

http://darisdroppings.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Grubjuice View Post

Well feeling a little less shit in dungeons as affliction when the rest of the dps has a clue would be nice though. We don't shine on thrash, we don't shine on bosses (cause no execute) - if the other dps are good, that is, if not then we can actually do SOMETHING. You know something is off when, when you pug, you pray for shit DPS. Unfortunately I never pug so my guildies just make me feel like I'm better off /f someone and alttabbing.

Of course this has always been a warlock problem, but at least we used to have half decent AoE.

Look, I'm not complaining, I'm not going to run dungeons the moment I don't need to anymore on my warlock anyway, just like always.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirque View Post
    we don't shine on bosses (cause no execute)
    Affliction is pretty much the only Warlock spec with an execute mechanic. Death's Embrace is gone, but we still have amplified Drain Soul on execute (though I'd really like to see it back to 25% health, rather than 20%), which now also adopts Malefic Grasp mechanic with additional ticks for active DoTs, AND Drain Soul provides you a steady supply of soul shards to keep Haunt up at all times and refresh all DoTs at once.
    That's why you need me.... Need someone to punish you for your sins.

Affliction is pretty much the only Warlock spec with an execute mechanic. Death's Embrace is gone, but we still have amplified Drain Soul on execute (though I'd really like to see it back to 25% health, rather than 20%), which now also adopts Malefic Grasp mechanic with additional ticks for active DoTs, AND Drain Soul provides you a steady supply of soul shards to keep Haunt up at all times and refresh all DoTs at once.
    Destruction has Shadowburn which not only deals more damage than chaos bolt but is also instant allowing more time to cast incinerates and get faster ember generation.

I have not tried the raids yet, so my expirence is purely that of 5 man HC.

How ever Affliction AOE for my part purely consist of the pull. 5-6 mob groups I will not be able to keep up, how ever bigger pulls, SB:SOC, SB:CoE, SOCSOCSOCSOCSOCSOC ect. Have suprassed anyne I have been in group with.

Isnt this just a question of the right fight/Group composition?

Granted random dungeons will not allow for that most of the time, but guild runs where challenges are the goal, I dont see affliction lacking behind at all. Like Xandy, I am pulling very decent numbers, and I have yet to be beaten on a bossfight, DPS wise.