Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    well I think locks are yearning for some passive dmg reduction, they try SL and find it's not as good as they'd like it to be for pvp, but some still stick with it regardless simply because it's passive unlike the other talents where you basically take more dmg but can stop that dmg for a short while, so instead of having constant spikes of dmg/ no dmg, they prefer going into the stagnant damage reduction talent although it is somewhat underwhelming atm, the talent is fine if people ONLY focus on the lock or the pet, if they double focus you and your pet it's not a damage reduction anymore it's a damage increase, since it was proven that having soul link equates at around 20% extra hp for the lock ( with and without pet ), if both you and pet take 100% of a dmg source, so you have 100% hp + 20% ( theoretical ) hp from using SL on a pet, so let's say you're at about 120% hp if you get attacked with the same attack on both the lock and pet ( ie: dots or cleave or wtv) , lock takes 100% of the attack, and pet takes 100% of the attack, basically it's an 80% damage increase to attack both the lock and the pet.

Quote Originally Posted by Seezer View Post
    Many locks are using it for PVE. EJ even has it as a "mandatory" talent for afflic and destro. Afflic and destro use GoSac, and with soul link you get an additional 20% more HP. And sac'ing void gives you shadow bulwark, which is another 30% for 20 seconds. Soul Link is dominating for pve for affliction and destro. There really is no choice. Look at high end pve'ers. You'll see alot of them with it.
    It's a very good talent especially when you're taking constant damage. You might see better investment for spikes though. I don't like the way Sacrificial Pact works for pet-less. It's certainly good and if used well actually far better than if you just received the shield (without losing health)... but that's if it's used right.

Quote Originally Posted by TobiasX View Post
    EJ has soul link as a mandatory talent (for affliction) because using it with grimoire of sacrifice increases your maximum health pool. More HP > More mana from Life Tap > Less Life Taps > More Damage.
    I was wondering when others would notice that SL + Grimoire is a potential DPS increase for affliction...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TobiasX View Post
    EJ has soul link as a mandatory talent (for affliction) because using it with grimoire of sacrifice increases your maximum health pool. More HP > More mana from Life Tap > Less Life Taps > More Damage.

Not sure on the reasoning for destruction though. Possibly it gives the highest base survivability as it's flat extra health?
    While true, I think you're overstating the impact; Demo Life Taps a lot, but Sacrifice is still terrible.

Deleted
    I find it strange that soullink isn't so popular.
    The nicest thing about it is how it makes twilight ward a heal. mitigating 50k damage every 30 sec is huge. You also doubledip into soulharvest out of combat so it should make it the go to for leveling or questing.
    It also a great tanking talent if people are game. I have tanked full heroics with it spamming harvest life and it's easy with a good healer.
    As for random bgs I think its pretty much the best as well. You just need to learn to toggle the link and use the ward. People rarerly focus pets down, and harvest life becomes very economical effective healing. I also noticed some healers that seems to enjoy getting their numbers up, by healing me in the back when my pet takes the damage.

10+ Year Old Account
    I use Soul Link plus Grimoire of Sacrifice for the 20% health pool bonus. (as destruction) just the flat health increase alone is amazing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grubjuice View Post
    I use Soul Link plus Grimoire of Sacrifice for the 20% health pool bonus. (as destruction) just the flat health increase alone is amazing.
    Yeah indeed, for fights where having just more HP and you'd prioritise survival so far above DPS that you'd use Ember Tap and Healthstone a lot, I tend to go sac.
    Also, the boss encounters that do "x% of your HP" are awesome for sup/sur, considering the effective extra HP your pet gives, isn't included, meaning you can take about 20% extra hits from those abilities compared to anyone else.
    Ex-GM and Raidleader of the MoX Purple Kittens Raidteam on Twisting Nether (formerly Grim Batol), RIP, Winter 2010 - Spring 2013.
    Armory. WoWProgress. Might start streaming Soon(tm) http://twitch.tv/szem/

Deleted
    I like soul link with GOSAC, it's a solid talent for PVE.

That said - I'm currently running the bubble talent, mostly because I talent out of SAC when doing my dailies and don't particularly like the pet-version of it, the bubbles handy in pve too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Soul Link will be my favorite L45 talent (as affliction) for the heroic progression starting next ID. Reason: It increases the effect of Healthstones and Mortal Coil, it's a no-brainer (enough shit is already happening so keeping track of one less CD is always nice) and it has no downsides (you take increased damage after Dark Bargain ends).
    I will maybe take Sacrificial Pact or Dark Bargain for Elegon or other gimmicky encounters though.

I'm using dark bargain in arenas because it's the only way I have any chance at surviving BM hunter burst.

A lot of times I tend to die anyways because the dot is ticking on me for 50k.

I think you forgot that you can change talents per fight.

I really don't get spending 2 talents just for a 20% health increase.

In PVE, ok I get it, you're taking GoSac anyhow because it's highest dps (though I take this with a grain of salt and tend to use GoSup; the minimal amount that GoSac is better will quickly turn to worse with significant movement or multiple targets). Soul link then gives you 20% more mana on your life tap (which is probably saving 1 life tap total per fight) and you might not need survivial CDs.

But in PVP, having a pet is invaluable. Not only that, but using Soul Link + a pet is effectively the same as adding that pet's health to your health pool. Yeah you run the risk of people double DoTing you and yer pet, but you also benefit from double HoTs.

Interesting talk about Twilight Ward- but isn't it really only useful if your pet is attacked?
    Last edited by tachycardias; 2012-10-09 at 04:33 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tachycardias View Post
    Interesting talk about Twilight Ward- but isn't it really only useful if your pet is attacked?
    When I do my gazillion dailys I have my pet in threatening, so its always attacked, the ward allows you to pull more or help soloing rares and such. Pull 5-6 mobs, ward felstorm harvest life,(while you are absorbing, the harvest life goes to your pet,without link most of the lifegain would be wasted) Likewise in battleground the pet will always take some damage, from aoe if nothing else. I just like the synergies with all other stuff, like how the pet in practice can use your healthstone as well .
    Last edited by mmoccbb9c4df20; 2012-10-09 at 12:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tachycardias View Post
    I really don't get spending 2 talents just for a 20% health increase.

In PVE, ok I get it, you're taking GoSac anyhow because it's highest dps
    You just answered your own doubt in my case. I only play PVE and i would be taking GoSac as destruction anyway, so the soul link is only one talent spent for the 20% health increase. of course i have no idea what is best for PvP encounters, because that's all greek to me.

soul link need to be changed to reduce your pet hp by 25%

pets die way to quick atm for it to even be worth it

and with soul burn pet summon pet your hard cast pet summon on 1min cd its even worse

wont effect soul link with sac since you wont have pet anyway
    "The speed of light is faster than the speed of sound.
    That's why so many people look smart until they start talking."

FC-0404-6893-4293 Fire safari Larvesta/Growlithe/Braixen IGN: X Archimand, Y Shina.

I do use Soul Link and not with GoSac, I like using a pet. But I do think that the pet health penalty should be reverted. I understand that Soul Link is an effective extra health pool for the warlock, but pets survival is lackluster. Soul Link in random BG and soloing works ok, but in serious PvP anyone noticing you're using Soul Link will automaticly dot your pet in addition to you, which leads me to untoggle Soul Link, see my pet die in a few seconds and then get trained because I'm an easy target.

So, in my humble opinion, Soul Link should be one of the following:
    - No health penalty.
    - The same as now but your pet turns untargettable somehow in PvP while Soul Link is active. It's a weird mechanic to implement though, I guess.

Soul Link is only good with soloing and questing because it doesn't interrupt your dps while killing some random elite.

In PvP, it's really not attractive if you put it beside the other options.

So the Consensus seems to be the following;

A. PVE players take it along with GoSac because of the 20% HP boost. helps with more mana from lifetap, health cooldowns like stones, dark regen, ember tap for destro, etc. Not used much with SL+GoSup or GoServ.

B. PVP players take it along with Gosac as well for the HP boost. If not Dark bargain is a better tool. Not used much with SL+GoSup or GoServ.

C. Very good for soloing/leveling. Im guilty of this as well. Definitely hit 90 as demo with DA+SL+Harvest life.

I take it consistently for my demo hunter pvp built... when you have 435k hp (with only 3 pieces of pvp gear) and can pop a 20 sec CD for 600k ish HP + harvest life makes you REALLY hard to kill. Run flags, capture points/mine-carts, impress your friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    While true, I think you're overstating the impact; Demo Life Taps a lot, but Sacrifice is still terrible.
    Did you see the part he put in parentheses? It says affliction. He is not overstating anything, he is explaining why it is good for that spec. No one said anything about demonology. You always look for the argument. Two totally different specs and circumstances. You must be one of those people who sits there with an apple and an orange and tries to compare them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sugarfree View Post
    Soul Link is only good with soloing and questing because it doesn't interrupt your dps while killing some random elite.

In PvP, it's really not attractive if you put it beside the other options.
    Yes, because it's so much better to go with dark bargain which makes you a free kill in pvp against killed teams.
    Sure you are immune to damage for 8 seconds, but after that you'll be taking 50% if the damage dealt during those 8 seconds.
    It wouldn't be the first time my team popped all their cooldowns on dark bargain to place an unhealable dot on the warlock.

Quote Originally Posted by Archimand View Post
    soul link need to be changed to reduce your pet hp by 25%

pets die way to quick atm for it to even be worth it

and with soul burn pet summon pet your hard cast pet summon on 1min cd its even worse

wont effect soul link with sac since you wont have pet anyway
    Perfect proof of someone who doesn't know how the current soul link works.

I'll try to explain it easily.
    Your pet and your health are added together into one total healthpool, lets say your pet has 50k and you have 350k, you will have a 400k total healthpool.
    Now say you or your pet would take a 40k hit, the server will check how much % of your total healthpool it is, in this case 10%
    What happens next is that your pets current health gets reduced by 10%, and your own health by 10%, meaning your pet takes 5k damage and you 35k.
    Last edited by Nicola; 2012-10-10 at 05:25 PM.